Too many compliments?

Options
I started out at 270 and have lost 63 pounds. My goal is 169, which is still probably a bit overweight. Well, people at work are constantly calling me "skinny" and telling me I am wasting away to nothing. I guess I should enjoy it, but I'm sure others get tired of hearing it. I will sometimes remark that I will show you my stomach just to let you know that I am not "wasting away".

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I started out at 270 and have lost 63 pounds. My goal is 169, which is still probably a bit overweight. Well, people at work are constantly calling me "skinny" and telling me I am wasting away to nothing. I guess I should enjoy it, but I'm sure others get tired of hearing it. I will sometimes remark that I will show you my stomach just to let you know that I am not "wasting away".

:D:p:D "I'll show you my stomach just to let you know I'm not wasting away" What a SCREAM, that's soooo funny and so BOOM too. Congrats on your huge accomplishment and I say just count it ALL joy, (with the good, the bad and the ugly of weight permanent removal and/or forever ridding/letting go of excess fat and inches off of your body (I like that better than weight "loss" cause aint nobody got time/energy nor desire to find that yucky weight/fat again). People are always gonna "talk"--chalk it up to human nature and keep on keeping on with your excellent progress. I find giving people a genuine, pleasant, hearty/loud and enthusiastic "WHY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH HOW KIND OF YOU TO NOTICE" when answering the good, bad or ugly comments about anything comes up about your weight or anything else where people are giving either real or backward compliments...it either drives people bonkers (AND makes them leave you alone), confuses them (which makes them leave you alone) or inspires them to smile and say you're welcomed with a (? or !) and causes them to leave you alone. But again, you're "I'll show you my stomach is just fabulous, period.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....I hear that too and just reply.....well I'm the biggest nuthin Ive ever seen :D
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Sounds like jealousy. You should start wearing tank tops and showing off the "guns"
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    They are probably genuinely complimenting you, just not the way you want to be complimented
    (or not mentioned at all). Say thanks and move on. It may not be what you want to hear but you cannot control what people say. You can only control your response to it. Take it as a confirmation that you are making positive progress.
    Perception is relative.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'd just respond and say "well I still have another x lbs to go before I am considered a healthy weight, but thanks for the compliment." I agree, it is annoying. It's none of their business and not their place to comment.
  • hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I'd just respond and say "well I still have another x lbs to go before I am considered a healthy weight, but thanks for the compliment." I agree, it is annoying. It's none of their business and not their place to comment.

Yes, that is the first thing I usually say. Letting them know I still have X amount of pounds to go.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Yes, that is the first thing I usually say. Letting them know I still have X amount of pounds to go.

I wouldn't. Then you'll get the horrified looks and comments about how unhealthy you'll be at that weight. I'd just say 'I appreciate your concern, but my focus right now is on being healthy and I still have goals to reach.' Or just nod, smile, and walk away.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I think people are just trying to be nice and supportive. Eventually they will get used to the new you and the compliments will taper off, so enjoy them while you can. Had a guy in my office who was obese, went on a diet to get healthy and ended up half of his former self. He looked so different - younger and more energetic, that people couldn't help but notice and comment. I think, for the most part, people like to see other people succeed.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that I am tired of it - it just makes me incredibly self-conscious. I started on this journey over 9 months ago, and I have lost pretty slowly - about 23 lbs to date (around a half a pound per week). All of a sudden, about a week ago, I started receiving a number of compliments at work, and a lot of "how did you do it". It was very jarring for me (since *I* know I have been losing weight right along) that people are just noticing and are clearly talking about me. Everyone has been really nice about it, but it makes me highly uncomfortable, especially since the impetus for my weight loss had nothing to do with how I looked (I am actually mourning the fact that there are several lovely clothing pieces in my larger size that I won't be able to wear anymore).
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    great story, great result, congratulations
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I tell 'em I'm losing so much because of all the sex I'm having with their mother (or wife). Doesn't always go down well, some people have no sense of humour about that kind of thing. :D
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your progress! I personally would simply see these comments as a compliment. So what if someone else thinks you are 'too skinny'? As long as what you are doing is healthy, and you are still considered a healthy weight, that is all which matters. Keep it up! <3
  • Stud47
    Stud47 Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Take it as a compliment and that people are noticing your Big change. Somebody told me recently something changed in you, did you Lost weight,? i Saïd yes. He replied you will desapear soon and we wont find you lol i just smiled and said i still have 15 lbs to lose to reach my Goal. he Said then Bravo good job. Last year somebody told me : oh u gained a lot of weight , i Saïd yes i stopped my gym and i est a lot these days. I didnt show that i didnt like the comment. I prefer the first comment than the second anyway...
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    People generally suck at small talk. They're just having verbal diarrhea. Pay it no mind. Just smile and nod and walk away
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    1. People are used to seeing you a lot heavier.
    2. 70% of the US population is overweight, half of those are obese. Average and normal are now very different. So even if you're over weight, but below the average, you'll be seen as skinny.
    3. Losing 185lbs, jealousy is very real and very ugly. I've lost a lot of friends over it.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yep!
    I began at 376 in 2013. Made GW 184 in March 2018. I have lost -195 but still above BMI normal weight.

I had to get Dr note to set my GW at Weight Watchers. I have loose skin and. Probably could never get rid of it at age 70 but happy to be HALF the weight at my starting weight back when I started at age 65.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!