Women 40s and Beyond: Tell me about your successful recomp

Options
2»

Replies

• MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, BF was about 35% 3 years ago even though my weight was in a healthy range. I went on a strict calorie controlled diet and lost 10lbs in about 4 months. Weight was getting a bit on the low side and BF still hight 20s. Dispair! Joined a gym been going ever since. Run once a week, do HIIT training 3 times a week and class with weights once a week. BF now between 18-20. Eating average 1600 instead of 1200 when I started.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Currently, I walk the dog at a very brisk pace for 7kms/day, I do a body weight strength training regimen (Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade) and I have recently returned to boot camp where I do HIIT for 30mins/day. I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I hit my macros (LCHP) and stay within my 1600cal allowance. I don't eat back any exercise calories to allow myself a little bit of extra on the weekends. Seems to work although I'd prolly make faster progress if I tightened this up a bit.

I'd like to get down to 20% body fat and see how I look at that point. Doing my best to be patient because I don't think I could handle a bulk/cut cycle--it's nerve-wracking enough to see the scale come up a bit as I gain muscle nevermind a full on bulk.

Same—pretty much. I cut booze a few months ago (except glass or 2 on weekends). That helped a lot. If I don’t drink and stick to my macros I can be way more lax on diet. I don’t have the patience for a bulk/cut either. Thanks for sharing that it took 15 mon to see abs. It probably took me at least a year.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What inspiring stories, I needed this!
  • misseyehutch
    misseyehutch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat between 12-1500 calories per day. I am going to be 49 in a few months and my goal is to wear a bikini for the first time since I was 16 by age 50. I am a kettlebell lover and avid bicycler. I hate walking as it bores me to tears. Riding a bike is much easier on me since I also have 2 plates & screws holding my ankle together. Biking takes you further, is easier on the body, and makes you remember the easy days of being a kid. I highly recommend it to everyone. Keep it up everyone!

I am in a similar situation. I will be 49 in the fall, and have gotten the belly you see so often on middle-age women. I can walk my dog, and hike in the woods with a friend, but otherwise, road walking/running is sooo boring. My bike had been stolen several years ago, and recently goat another one. Another plus for biking is the breeze you create for yourself! It's hot out there!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I eat between 12-1500 calories per day. I am going to be 49 in a few months and my goal is to wear a bikini for the first time since I was 16 by age 50. I am a kettlebell lover and avid bicycler. I hate walking as it bores me to tears. Riding a bike is much easier on me since I also have 2 plates & screws holding my ankle together. Biking takes you further, is easier on the body, and makes you remember the easy days of being a kid. I highly recommend it to everyone. Keep it up everyone!

I am in a similar situation. I will be 49 in the fall, and have gotten the belly you see so often on middle-age women. I can walk my dog, and hike in the woods with a friend, but otherwise, road walking/running is sooo boring. My bike had been stolen several years ago, and recently goat another one. Another plus for biking is the breeze you create for yourself! It's hot out there!

Yes, the breeze is nice. I live in Houston. In the summer it runs around 105 and 90% humidity. I used to commute to work by bike. It was ok as long as you were pedaling and could create a breeze, but the minute you had to come to a stop.....dang, you fried.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am 50. Trying to lose weight again. I gained 15 lbs over 6 mos when I hurt my back and was not working out. So frustrating. I have lost about half of it and working on the other half. I have given up alcohol and not sure if I will drink again when I have lost it all. I am lifting in the gym which I love and running a little. I still have not reached the prs I set when I was younger but working to get back there.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Following here, too. I went from 256-155 (and have maintained around 155 for a year) in about a year. I'm hovering in the 150's most of the time, but presumably my goal weight was 150. I have quite a bit of body fat, especially on my belly, and I'd love to recomp, even if it meant not getting to "ultimate goal weight."

I'm 43, an active trail runner, and I've been way lax about getting involved in a strength program. Trying to change that and paying a bit closer attention to my macros, at least hitting 120g protein per day (which is .8 of bodyweight for my goal weight). I'm usually a little over on protein. Tried for a while to hit 150g protein each day, which was a pretty tough challenge without a lot of protein powder and bars or way more boiled eggs than I'm interested in eating. It's at least getting me comfortable with watching my macros while I figure out the weight training plan. I have my calories set to 1710 which according to MFP is slightly under maintenance, plus I get a quite a few extra calories from running. During the week I don't eat them back, but I do on weekends after my longer run.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier You're rocking that bikini at 59!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I don't lift on purpose except for a few home hand weights, situps and pushups in addition to running. I think my time at the barn in the evenings accounts for building muscle on my arms and shoulders. I have gotten pretty woo'd for my bikini pic here before but I feel like I made a lot of progress at 59.

I have been maintaining since last Oct now. I don't think you have to lift heavy to tone if you don't want to. Better to find some activity you really enjoy like tennis or rowing which uses those muscles naturally. Just my opinion.

pgg8zwkrl5s8.png

What terrific progress :smile: You rock that bikini Summer! :smile: