Colonoscopy Prep

2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I've never had a colonoscopy. Sounds terrifying. Some day I know I will have to... who would ever want to be a GI doctor?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I've never had a colonoscopy. Sounds terrifying. Some day I know I will have to... who would ever want to be a GI doctor?

Please don’t be terrified. It is not all that bad. My first doctor was an *kitten* with zero personality. The second colonoscopy I had was with a surgeon who was caring and funny, she was great. If you can, pick a surgeon that you like. Makes a big difference.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    So I do my prep for my first colonoscopy tomorrow with the procedure on Thursday. I'm fascinated by the whole process. I'm wondering how much waste / water weight I'll lose (and gain back on Friday) and if I'll ask embarrassing questions during the procedure while partially sedated. Anyone want to share any interesting stories and/or hints/tips with me?

I typically lose about 5-6 lb. by colonoscopy day, then put it back on over about 2 days. The procedure itself is super easy and the propofol they use these days is great, you don't wake up groggy or with a fuzzy brain.

Since tonight is the actual prep night, make sure you have aloe infused super soft wipes (baby wipes aren't soft enough) and Chux* on hand. The wipes for obvious reasons and the Chux so you sleep without fear of messing the bedding. Put one on any chair you sit on too. Wear a long T-shirt or short nightie to bed too.

(Chux is the original brand name for underpads if you didn't already know that)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

It really isn't anything to be terrified about where colon cancer is. They have improved the prep procedure too so it isn't as harsh as it used to be. I have had illness caused diarrhea that was worse.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member

The colonoscopy itself is nothing. It's a well needed nap.

My tips for the prep are fire up your phone, tablet, laptop, a good book because there comes a point where you just won't want to leave the bathroom. I also mixed up the prep (I was given gavilyte) the night before, divided it into 8 16.9 oz plastic water bottles, and added powdered drink flavoring.

Also, you don't need to finish the prep once everything comes out clear and there aren't any...er...pieces. :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited September 2018
    I had a c-scope last year. I found the fasting a breeze since I already do IF and OMAD once and a while. Even the diarrhea wasn't bad. The laxatives they gave me were gentle (Duxolax and Picosalax I think) and I had no trouble with cramps or urgency. The worst part of the whole thing was waiting in the hospital for 3 hours and worrying about the procedure.

The procedure itself was so easy. They gave me a sedative and the nurse said if I felt any pain or discomfort she'd give me more. When the tube first went in, I told her I felt a little discomfort and she upped the sedative. After that I didn't feel anything. I just felt relaxed and buzzed. I watched the cam go through my insides on a TV screen and found it fascinating.

The procedure was over quickly. They said that I'd most likely need to rest for about half an hour before going home, but I was wide awake when they wheeled me over to the recovery room. My husband came into the room with my clothes and I got dressed and he drove me home. That's all there was to it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Colonoscopies are definitely nothing to be scared of. The procedure is not bad at all. The prep isn't fun but worth it to know what's going on up there. I can't say I'm sad I never have to experience the prep again. Actually my last prep was my pre surgery one and I was doing housework during it (you know you gave Crohn's when).

Picosalax (picolax, etc) is definitely the best prep there is.

Oh and upper endoscopies also aren't bad. Just fasting beforehand. The worst part for me is the gross mouth spray they use to freeze your gag reflux. I'm going for my 4th one since march 2017 on monday (this one and the one before is/was to get a botox injection in my stomach).
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    If I could get past that gallon bottle of the stuff you have to drink..... :s
    The colonoscopy was fine cause I was in sleepy land but the prep is a nightmare!!!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    Didn't lose weight. I don't know why. Surprisingly I did not feel hunger!
    All I think I did during sedation is thanking like 100 times one of the nurses for being so good to me and comforting me. (She was actually really nice, holding my hand the whole time. I was in a lot of pain.) I get like that when under sedation or when drunk.