Keto vs Slow and Steady

Options
SO i have two friends that started weight loss around the same time as me, the only difference is theyre doing full keto life style and im not. So far i've lost 2-4kgs on eating healthy, walking a bit more and trying to cut out fatty junk food or snack 24/7. They on the other hand have lost between 10-13kg in the same time strictly doing keto which is amazing and im so proud of them!! but I cant help but think maybe I should join keto too? the only thing that is stopping me is I dont know that much about it and what I do understand is that it is a full lifestyle change, what are the outcomes long term?

so if anyone can point out the differences and if its a good idea to use keto for weight loss id be grateful because I'm wondering if me doing it the old fashioned way is going to have worse results in comparison to keto and getting those gains faster :/

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your friends have a lot more weight to lose than you....
    Stop comparing your weight loss to theirs, if you have found what works for you stick with it, you will get there.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have done the low carb diets in the past. I lost weight pretty quickly but never managed to maintain the loss nor reach my goal. When I did this diet (low calorie) I lost more over a longer period and have maintained it. On the low carb (Atkins when I did it) I lost fast but when I went back to eating carbs I gained like 13 pounds in a week! So the water thing is definately true. The initial quick loss is encouraging but after a while it slows down and like everyone is saying depends on the number of calories you are eating, burning and what you need to maintain your ideal weight. If you have a small number of kilos to lose you will lose slower no matter what your program. Do what you can live with permanently never mind trying to lose it all fast.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    I have been on keto for close to 9 months. It's true that there is an initial fast weight loss, but eventually, it's no different from any other diet--you lose at a rate that directly correlates to your calorie intake/burn and size. I was close to goal weight (total goal was 10 lbs) and lost the first 5 almost immediately and the last five over several months--with Weight Watchers and other diets I've been on, the pattern of around .5 lbs a week was identical. I lost another 5 lbs over the summer and find keto very sustainable and completely disagree that there's anything "wrong" with it in terms of it being a livable lifestyle. THAT BEING SAID--you do you. If you don't like the idea of keto, please don't do it. It's not for everyone.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    comparison is the thief of joy...

are YOU happy with your rate of loss, and are you enjoying what you eat? By all means look into Keto in more depth and if the type of foods allowed are what you could sustain for the long term by all means go for it. If no, then stick to what is already working for you and enjoy youself.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If doing it your way is working for you, there may not be a reason to change to keto other than you being tempted by the tales of lightning fast weight loss, which might not be sustainable long term in your circumstances. Your friends have different circumstances and different reasons for how they're eating. They may be yo-yo dieters, faddy dieters or competitive dieters, and if that's not you then why compare your methods and results to theirs?

What happens if in a few weeks or months from now one or both your friends give up keto because they can't sustain a restrictive diet? If you decided to board the keto bus, would them getting off it spur you to keep going? Or would you regret having given up eating habits that were working for you? If you're the CICO tortoise, let the keto hares do what they will while you keep plugging away. In the end it doesn't matter when you reach the finish line, it matters that you stay in the race and run it your way.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As others said, they might have lost a few extra pounds of water weight with keto. They also may be naturally eating less because some find that keto reduces their appetite and cravings.

I lost my weight with keto. When I use moderation I feel too hungry to maintain a calorie deficit. I lost steady but fairly quickly (4-10 lbs a month depending on how close to goal I was). I'm about 3 years into maintenance now and still eating keto. It's a very healthy diet for me (better skin, hair, blood glucose, fewer autoimmune flare ups, better BP, better weight management, good cholesterol) so I'm sticking with it. The only downside is not eating everything but TBH, when I'm low carb I don't want to eat everything. It isn't worth it and I'm not that hungry.

If interested, read some books on it or some good blogs. Peter Attia's blog was good. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, The Ketogenic Bible and even Atkins (phase 1) are all helpful. It's a safe diet for almost everyone - those with familial hypercholesterolemia may want to avoid it though. Try it if it looks interesting but if you already found something that works for you, there is no real need unless you have a health issue where it is recommended.
    NovusDies wrote: »
    No one should do Keto strictly for weight loss. People should only do it if they need a health benefit it provides or it aligns with the way they naturally eat.

Oh and if you don't believe the above about the fact it can be the same I lost 16kg (35lbs) on the scale in my first 6 weeks *not* doing Keto. Notice I said on the scale not fat loss because a large amount of that was water.

Why?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    how you lose your weight is how you will keep it off. that/s a fact. so, unless you can eat keto for good.. I'd opt for what you're doing, unless you can live forever eating cheese, butter, and meat.