Wanting to start the Mediterranean Diet

Options
I'm looking into transitioning into the Mediterranean diet or something similar. Was hoping to find someone else who id/has to chat with, share ideas and recipies, etc...

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    laurabini wrote: »
    I'm looking into transitioning into the Mediterranean diet or something similar. Was hoping to find someone else who id/has to chat with, share ideas and recipies, etc...

Why.

Because it's healthy, maybe?

I'm assuming you have googled pyramids and charts already but this is pretty good

https://researchgate.net/figure/Fig-1-The-Mediterranean-diet-pyramid-simple-graphic-format-of-the-most-up-to-date_fig1_228622489

I personally don't eat bread that often and have pasta once or twice a week. I have rice way more often (but I grew up in the North of Italy haha)
    I'm dairy free but I eat yogurt daily for the probiotics.

I find it a bit weird when people say they want to 'start the Mediterranean diet' because that's basically a lifestyle I think. But I've always been eating like that so I don't know any different :)

I think it's pretty easy, just focus on fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrains, fish, meat and eggs a couple of times a week and use olive oil instead of butter or other oils. That's what my nutritionist told me anyway!

Good luck :)

How is it healthy exactly?

https://academic.oup.com/biomedgerontology/article/73/3/318/4736301
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The Mediterranean diet emphasizes: Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil. Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods. Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    While some of her "diet" methodology may be a bit flawed, I like a lot of the ideas and recipes by the author of the Sonoma Diet. She has the original diet book with many recipes and then a follow up cookbook with even more. All inspired by Mediterranean eating habits.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

Why.

Dude, I think you know why. It has good press! And, some of it might actually be true!

In general, I wager that most people will lose weight if they stick to this diet. Any diet that rules out chocolate cake, ice cream, and bread and butter is bound to work.

@crazyravr: Go for it!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    xm3cqzobxpqr.jpeg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your comments are making me die laughing here in Rome. What people THINK is a Med diet is hilarious. I grew up in Minnesota--meat+potatoes+butter+ hotdish...... I married an Italian 30 years ago and moved to Rome. Now I eat --pasta, pizza, olive oil, vegetables that I've never seen in Minnesota, fruit at every meal, risotto, crusty breads, lots of legumes, more fish, some meat, and lots of fabulous deserts. I learned early that bread and fruit had to be on the table for every meal. Milk and cheeses are also a must. People here are thin. I just got back from the summer at the beach and the bods are to die for. In the evening, you see these same people in a restaurant eating pizza and pasta. Portion control is what makes the difference no matter how "healthy" your diet is.
    PS: The pastry and gelato shops are always packed.
    I'm a bit envious you manage to just laugh - the concept "The Mediterrean Diet" makes me cringe, I feel sick, sad, annoyed. Food, everywhere, at least places where people are healthy, is supposed to be love, life, enjoyment, just like you have observed.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I often make meals from the recipe books of Mediterranean chefs such as Gino D'Acampo, Antonio Carluccio etc... These books aren't diet or health books but they have some good traditional recipes. My mum often makes Greek food from recipes collected on our travels round the Greek Islands when we were growing up. We also eat a lot of Spanish and canarian foods as we have an apartment in lanzarote and enjoy their way of eating. There isn't a diet as such, but more of a lifestyle and an approach to eating. Everything is focused on ingredients, mainly vegetables and legumes, fresh fish if available. The food is made to be flavoursome and joyful. Why not try buying a recipe book and going from there?
  • vanityy99
    edited September 2018
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to eat tuna.

https://pin.it/oa3d2x6o3giluf
  • vanityy99
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My favourite way to eat tuna.

https://pin.it/oa3d2x6o3giluf

Anything mixed with hummus taste amazing to me. This looks like a good recipe.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I often make meals from the recipe books of Mediterranean chefs such as Gino D'Acampo, Antonio Carluccio etc... These books aren't diet or health books but they have some good traditional recipes. My mum often makes Greek food from recipes collected on our travels round the Greek Islands when we were growing up. We also eat a lot of Spanish and canarian foods as we have an apartment in lanzarote and enjoy their way of eating. There isn't a diet as such, but more of a lifestyle and an approach to eating. Everything is focused on ingredients, mainly vegetables and legumes, fresh fish if available. The food is made to be flavoursome and joyful. Why not try buying a recipe book and going from there?

True--it's a lifestyle. Italians want to know where their food comes from and how it's grown. They demand quality and tradition. This is hard to understand in other countries. We have programs for hours on the weekends showing different regions, interviewing growers, producers, factory owners, chefs, etc. Many products are designated DOP--quality controlled from the origin.
    Can you eat this way in the States for instance? When I'm home on vacation I cook, especially if the family came along. I have to sort through many products to find something similar, but, it can be done. Things are also available now, that I had to bring along 25 yrs ago. It's too bad there isn't more interest in quality, but that's just cultural differences.