Unexpected Weight Gain - Upset

Options
2»

Replies

• kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same stats as you! Just wanted to say you are not alone. I’m finding it really difficult to get below 130 lbs. I’m shooting for 1 pound loss per month. Please give yourself some time and be gentle with yourself! ((Hugs))
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

How did you all manage if you've got near to your goal weight or reached it?

Thank you in advance!

You have to start by understanding the process. Once you get close to goal, you really shouldn't be expecting to lose more than 0.5lbs - 1 lb per week. But the thing is, you have lots of stuff in your body other than fat, and that stuff normally fluctuates all the time. Mostly water and the contents of your digestive system, but other stuff too. This stuff can easily fluctuate 1, 2 or even 5 lbs a day! So it is really easy for fat losses to hide behind normal weight fluctuations when you step on the scale. When I was losing my last 10 lbs, I only saw a real, measurable loss about once every month or so.

How did I manage? I focused on the process, not what the scale said. I got serious about logging - food scale for all solids, ate out less, carefully double checked the entries I was using in the database. I set goals to stick to my workout schedule. To take an extra walk. To close the kitchen at a certain time so late night mindless snacking wouldn't ruin my deficit. To try a new veggie every week. To hit my protein goal. And I stopped worrying about "when" I would reach my goal weight. I was doing the right things, I was feeling better, I was looking better. I'd get to the right number eventually.

Good luck :drinker:
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given good advice here.

Personal account: I've gained a whole 2ish kg in the last week because I am weak to staying up too late and my stress level has been high. Past me likes to punish Future me with poor decisions when it comes to "just one more quest" and "but we're almost to the next area"! This week started off with really high stress, so that also contributed to the water dance.

I know I didn't eat 2-3kg worth of calories (when stressed, I don't eat -- I down coffee like a woman dying of thirst after crossing the Sahara). I side-eye the scale, but remind myself that for all that extra weight, I've been able to pull my pants up one handed (shoulder injury, sobbbbb, which kept me from getting back to strength training).
  • emmarobbo2756
    emmarobbo2756 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, that's really good advice. It's good to talk to people who have more experience than I do.

I think I am realising that as I really get serious about tracking my food that I don't do it accurately at all really. When I really got serious about it today I found I'd eaten enough to just about maintain, but that's all. It's so hard.

I take your points really seriously about adjusting my weekly goals. Actually, I went onto MFP to change my goals to 1lb a week, but when I did it kept my calorie limit the same. It's all at 1,200 a day unless I choose the lowest loss amount per week. Have other people had this?

I was also wondering, do you all incorporate the calories you burn from exercise into your daily numbers?
    Thank you so much again for sharing so much. I feel a bit at sea this week. I'm worried I just don't know what I'm doing and that I'll never get near the weight and shape I want to be.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Thank you everyone, that's really good advice. It's good to talk to people who have more experience than I do.

I think I am realising that as I really get serious about tracking my food that I don't do it accurately at all really. When I really got serious about it today I found I'd eaten enough to just about maintain, but that's all. It's so hard.

I take your points really seriously about adjusting my weekly goals. Actually, I went onto MFP to change my goals to 1lb a week, but when I did it kept my calorie limit the same. It's all at 1,200 a day unless I choose the lowest loss amount per week. Have other people had this?

I was also wondering, do you all incorporate the calories you burn from exercise into your daily numbers?
    Thank you so much again for sharing so much. I feel a bit at sea this week. I'm worried I just don't know what I'm doing and that I'll never get near the weight and shape I want to be.

How tall are you? And what is your activity level set at?
  • emmarobbo2756
    emmarobbo2756 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm 164cm ish/ 5ft5ish tall. My activity level is set at 'sedentary' because I do run or work out most days but the rest of my time is spent sitting in the car, sitting in the office or sitting at home.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm 164cm ish/ 5ft5ish tall. My activity level is set at 'sedentary' because I do run or work out most days but the rest of my time is spent sitting in the car, sitting in the office or sitting at home.

Half a pound a week is a good rate of loss given your stats.
  • kimny72
    Options

OK, the MFP goal doesn't include exercise, and you are set to sedentary, so it's expected that you will log your exercise and eat back at lest some of those calories.

The reason you are still getting the minimum calories is that you are set to sedentary, you are already in the healthy weight range for your height, and you are aiming for the very bottom of the healthy range. I am 5'4 and 1/2" :lol: and I started at 145lbs. I had to settle for a pace of 0.5lbs per week because I simply couldn't handle eating under 1400 cals. I also had to focus on increasing my activity level.

If you aren't yet, I would strongly advise focusing on strength training - it can really help to reshape your body, and if you do, you might find you don't need to get your weight quite so low to get the look you want.

Just some stuff to think about!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    MFP will never set calories below 1200 for a woman. That doesn't mean if you input 1 lb./week that you will really lose at 1 pounds at 1200 only that is the lowest safe daily calorie setting for you. Since you have so little to lose you are better off losing at .5 a day and take your time. This will assist you with adjusting to maintenance. Trust me I've been there. ;)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Over the (many) years that I've been watching my weight, I find that I ALWAYS gain weight on the weeks I've been REALLY good with my diet. It always takes 2 or even 3 weeks for the results of this week to show up! As others have said, please dont look at one week and get downhearted. You're looking for a long term, maintainable result so slow and steady is the way to go. Good luck x