I know why my chest day suffered today :)

I went into the Gym today to do chest, I did it back on Sunday as well. Started benching and noticed the weight felt a little heavier than usual and didn't hit my numbers I hit on Sunday.

I got home, checked my lifting logs, and then realized this was my 9th day in a row lifting heavy weights. Stupid me didn't take any rest days. Looks like tomorrow will be a day off, or just an easy walk on the treadmill.

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    To alleviate that, pick one day a week (I pick Monday's) as your dedicated rest day. I choose Monday's because that's when gyms tend to be busiest so I simply am avoiding the crowds. Pick any day of the week that works for you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Not knowing your program lifting heavy 9 days in a row might be but isn't neccessarily the cause. It's not.like you suffered from overtraining from the info you gave.

I mean how do you perceive heavy...with bar speed or RPE?

Just because you hit a number in the last week or so, doesn't mean you can duplicate it the following week. Training has it ups and downs.

You might have a hard time pulling a single one day and a few days later pull a heavier load for 3-4 reps.

Keep your head up and the weight always follow :).

If your volume is appropriate at a useful intensity I wouldn't think anything of it but perhaps just a off day.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    I'll give you an example of my chest day. Also if it helps, I'm 47(48 in 4 months), about 6'1'' and 205lbs

Flat bench barbell press

Bar only x 20 warmup, 95lbs x 16 times warmup, 135lb x 12 times warmup, 175lb x 12 warmup

Main sets, 225lbs x 10, 245lbs x 5, 255lbs x 4, 255lbs x 4, 255lbs x 4

Incline Dumbbell, 90lbs x 14, 4 sets

Incline press machine, 200lbs x 14, 4 sets

Either cable flys or dumbbells flys superset with pushups

It's been progressively getting better month over month. Started lifting again last December.

Today, 225lbs x 9, usually i can get 10, maybe even more if I had a spotter
    245lbs x 4 today, that felt heavier than usual
    90lb dumbbells felt a little heavier than usual just did sets of 10
    etc

My last 9 days looked like this

Chest, Back, Arms, Shoulders, Chest, Legs, Back,
    Arms, Chest

I was going to hit Shoulders and Legs tomorrow with my daughter as more of a station type workout

I think I'm going to take the day off though and rest. Do Shoulders on Saturday, Legs on Sunday, Chest on Monday, Back on Tuesday, Wednesday rest day

I'm going to try 4 days on 1 day off and see how that goes
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    jflongo wrote: »
    I'll give you an example of my chest day. Also if it helps, I'm 47(48 in 4 months), about 6'1'' and 205lbs

Flat bench barbell press

Bar only x 20 warmup, 95lbs x 16 times warmup, 135lb x 12 times warmup, 175lb x 12 warmup

It's been progressively getting better month over month. Started lifting again last December.

etc

Arms, Chest

I was going to hit Shoulders and Legs tomorrow with my daughter as more of a station type workout

I think I'm going to take the day off though and rest. Do Shoulders on Saturday, Legs on Sunday, Chest on Monday, Back on Tuesday, Wednesday rest day

following an arms day with a chest day is what did it, IMO. Your chest can only do so much if your triceps are fried from yesterday.

Are following some sort of published program? Doing so would ensure you're getting proper rest and mitigate the "oops, I accidentally went to the gym 9 days in a row" scenarios.
  • jflongo
    For the most part I document in a notebook ahead of time, and then log everything in jefit app while working out. No I'm not following any particular programs, no of any good free ones?
  • steveko89
    edited September 2018
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines

I'm currently running a lightly modified version of PHUL and have been really digging it.
  • jflongo
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'm currently running a lightly modified version of PHUL and have been really digging it.

Are you just doing the 4 days / week then?
  • steveko89

Are you just doing the 4 days / week then?

I do some light accessory stuff and cardio on day 5, could probably categorize as active rest+. I also usually do a long workout on Saturday hitting all my main lifts.
  • jflongo
    I'll think about it this weekend. I may try that for the rest of the year. Sunday/Monday, treadmill Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday, off Friday completely, treadmill Saturday
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2018

Flat bench barbell press

etc

Arms, Chest

I would ditch 65% of those warm up sets. That is 60 reps just to get to the intensity that is useful.

Something along the lines of...
    Bar × 5
    95 ×5
    135 ×5
    185 ×3
    225 ×2
    Total: 20 reps of warm up would be plenty for someone as young as you.

Working sets of 260 × 4 would be appropriate with omly a third of the warm ups and reserved energy for the sweet spot of intensity.

Both incline movements are overkill as well.

Save some room to up volume when lifts start fading.
  • jflongo
    I could consider doing that. Maybe I'll do some band or 5lb weight warmups for my shoulders before I start. I used to do that before I switched gyms. I just want to make sure my shoulders are warmed up some. I'll try lowering the warmup on my next Chest day and see how it goes.
  • Chieflrg
    I could consider doing that. Maybe I'll do some band or 5lb weight warmups for my shoulders before I start. I used to do that before I switched gyms. I just want to make sure my shoulders are warmed up some. I'll try lowering the warmup on my next Chest day and see how it goes.

I use to do those as well until I learned they are indirect and eccentially a waste of time opposed to more specific warmups.

Honestly, unless you are in a cold temperature you don't need either. Maybe a couple sets with empty bar if it is your first lift of the session.

The empty bar is more specific of a warm up as it mimics exactly what you are going to do with heavier weights.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• jflongo
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I use to do those as well until I learned they are indirect and eccentially a waste of time opposed to more specific warmups.

Honestly, unless you are in a cold temperature you don't need either. Maybe a couple sets with empty bar if it is your first lift of the session.

The empty bar is more specific of a warm up as it mimics exactly what you are going to do with heavier weights.

I always hop on the treadmill for 5 - 10 minutes before I workout to warm up the body a little. Do you have any shoulder problems? I have some arthritis in both shoulders, so that is why I warmed them up, but I could just try the bar and see how it goes.
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2018

I always hop on the treadmill for 5 - 10 minutes before I workout to warm up the body a little. Do you have any shoulder problems? I have some arthritis in both shoulders, so that is why I warmed them up, but I could just try the bar and see how it goes.

Yes I have a bad shoulder from a hit that forced retirement from football in my 30s and both shoulders are effected by a autoimmune disease that attacks my joints 24/7 and causes swelling as well as normal aggrivation of pressing 3-4 times a week during training.

If you do the warmup regime at or near of what I suggested with adding weight with no breaks you should be sufficiently warm and a slight sweat going. The majority of lifters will not need more. So good roll over investment on your time in the gym.

• jflongo

I did the day 1 of P.H.U.L yesterday, and had a great workout, but man that was long. I'll see how Day 2 goes. Also, taking a couple of days off was great, i was able to do 4 main sets of Bench 250lbs x 5
  • jflongo
    I did the day 2 of P.H.U.L today, and again a great workout. It took a little over an hour, so not too bad.
  • Chieflrg
    I did the day 2 of P.H.U.L today, and again a great workout. It took a little over an hour, so not too bad.

Nice.
  • jflongo

Nice.

Day 1, 2, 4, 5 all done for P.H.U.L, I look forward to my 2 days off, and starting week 2!! Thanks again for pointing this out.
  • Chieflrg

Nice.

Day 1, 2, 4, 5 all done for P.H.U.L, I look forward to my 2 days off, and starting week 2!! Thanks again for pointing this out.

Your welcome. Keep killing it!
  • jflongo
    I just finished Week 3 of this, so far so good. My squat and deadlift seem to be getting stronger. Bench is a little stalled, but I'm not too worried. I will do this for another 9 weeks, then try a different 12 week program, then switch back to this again.