I know why my chest day suffered today :)

2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    jflongo wrote: »
    I did the day 2 of P.H.U.L today, and again a great workout. It took a little over an hour, so not too bad.

What is your rest time between sets? I've been doing PHUL for a couple of month and never takes me more than an hour. Usually less.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I did the day 2 of P.H.U.L today, and again a great workout. It took a little over an hour, so not too bad.

What is your rest time between sets? I've been doing PHUL for a couple of month and never takes me more than an hour. Usually less.

It depends. On the heavy day it's 1 - 2 minutes or so between sets. On the lighter days, usually 1 minute. I generally do 4 sets on everything too, so that could be why.
  • jflongo
    steveko89 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/recommended_routines

I'm currently running a lightly modified version of PHUL and have been really digging it.

Just knocked out week 5 of this, love it so far. Thanks again for pointing this out.
  • jflongo
    Half way through Week 11, so far this has been great, only one more week, then I'm going to try a different program.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Half way through Week 11, so far this has been great, only one more week, then I'm going to try a different program.

Why? If it's working so well and you are liking it so much, why change programs so soon?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Why? If it's working so well and you are liking it so much, why change programs so soon?

Exactly, what would be the point?

Getting too strong?
  • jflongo
    edited November 2018
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Getting too strong?

Well it's a 12 week program :wink: :wink:

I figured I would try another 6 - 12 week program for a change of pace, then I'll go back to PHUL again after that. That's the only reason.

I'm going to try this, which is a 5 day a week program, if I dont' like it, I'll go back to PHUL.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Getting too strong?

Well it's a 12 week program :wink: :wink:

I figured I would try another 6 - 12 week program for a change of pace, then I'll go back to PHUL again after that. That's the only reason.

I'm going to try this, which is a 5 day a week program, if I dont' like it, I'll go back to PHUL.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

You can run a program for as long as you are progressing. I've been running PHUL for 2 years and I have no plans on switching to anything else yet.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    "Winners don't need variety, they need results."

Just a line from one of my favorite strength coaches that I follow. If it's working, then ride the wave until it doesn't. Don't let training A.D.D get in the way of results.
  • jflongo
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    "Winners don't need variety, they need results."

Just a line from one of my favorite strength coaches that I follow. If it's working, then ride the wave until it doesn't. Don't let training A.D.D get in the way of results.

WELL!!!!

With all of your nice comments, I guess I'll stay with PHUL. Thank you all for chiming in I appreciate it. I may modify it a hair this time, but not too much.

Thanks again though, and Happy Thanksgiving.
  • jflongo
    I'm still happy with P.H.U.L. While my bench hasn't been increasing lately(could be because I lost some weight), my squat and deadlift has increased. When I started a year ago, 135lbs on the bench felt heavy, 185lbs on the squat was heavy, 185lbs on the deadlift seemed heavy.

Now I'm doing 245 - 250lbs x 5 on the bench, did 305lbs x 5 on Squat, and 425lbs x 3 on deadlift this past week.

On hypertrophy days I"m doing 245lbs x 12 for 4 sets on squat. Hopefully in a few months, I'll be doing 315lbs x 5 on heavy days, and around 275lbs x 8-12 on light days. I'm thinking it may be time to invest in some knee sleeves though.