Runners knee

Hi y'all,
In the midst of my marathon training I've started having knee pain after my long runs. I felt this same pain when I was in high school on the cross country team and saw a doctor who I believe told me I had runners knee. I didn't listen to anything he said at the time besides "nothing is broken or fractured" so all I cared about was I was able to finish my upcoming races (not smart!). Now I'm having this pain in my knees again, during my long runs I feel great except for my knees. After the run, it hurts mostly to just stand up, or walk up stairs. Walking normally isn't painful at all. I'm only half way through my marathon training so I know things could just get a lot worse but I don't want to give up.. has anyone dealt with this before? What can I do to help it heal?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    I don't really have any suggestions, but I can sympathize. When I was in my 20s, I tried running as a form of exercise. I got runner's knee so badly during the first week that I could not walk down stairs (up wasn't so bad, but down was murder) for like two weeks afterwards. I tried everything -- varying my shoes, inserts in my shoes, knee braces, varying the type of surface I ran on, run/walk intervals, stretches, etc. Nothing helped.

My solution was just not to run anymore and to do other types of exercise and now I'm 40 and haven't had the problem again. That doesn't sound like an option for you, if you are really dedicated to marathon training.

I can do like two Shaun T. workouts (even two Insanity workouts) back to back without issue, I just can't run. I have come to accept this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What do you do for cross training?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

I used to swim back in high school when it was really bad, and it didn't seem to help. Right now on my cross train days I just walk the dog which probably isn't the best I know... If I remember right you do some weight training to prevent running injuries? What exercises do you do?
  • TavistockToad
    edited September 2018
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I used to swim back in high school when it was really bad, and it didn't seem to help. Right now on my cross train days I just walk the dog which probably isn't the best I know... If I remember right you do some weight training to prevent running injuries? What exercises do you do?

I do stationary bike for cross training and a full body weights programme 2 x a week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    .. has anyone dealt with this before?

Yes, I've had Illiotibial Band Syndrome. Largely from running through the pain at a Half, and it stopped me training for about six weeks.

What can I do to help it heal?
    Thanks in advance :)

Speak to a physiotherapist. There are several different conditions that might be described as runners knee, and appropriate treatments vary. Some treatments for one variant might be contraindicated for another.

Fwiw most of my cross training is on the bike or swimming.

• FL_Hiker
    edited September 2018
    I'd love to see a physio or doctor again but our insurance doesn't cover it and i'm broke lol. Kinda stuck here figuring it out on my own :( ... I couldn't imagine riding a bike right now, that kind of movement really aggravates it.
    Edit I also don't own a bike
  • FL_Hiker
    edited September 2018
    I've read working on the surrounding muscles helps? Glute exercises with stretch bands? My phyiso back in highschool told me to stand next to a wall and move my leg out and back in several times. I did that the entire cross country season and it did absolutely nothing.
  • TavistockToad
    I'd love to see a physio or doctor again but our insurance doesn't cover it and i'm broke lol. Kinda stuck here figuring it out on my own :( ... I couldn't imagine riding a bike right now, that kind of movement really aggravates it.

We aren't saying that cycling is good for runners knee, just that it's good cross training for runners.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Does your insurance cover seeing a GP? While an orthopedist and/or sports medicine doctor would be ideal (as would a referral to a physical therapist), a GP would be better than the internet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

We aren't saying that cycling is good for runners knee, just that it's good cross training for runners.

And that's the crux of the problem. It might be the best option, it might cause more damage. Without a proper diagnosis there's no way to tell.
  • FL_Hiker
    aokoye wrote: »

Does your insurance cover seeing a GP? While an orthopedist and/or sports medicine doctor would be ideal (as would a referral to a physical therapist), a GP would be better than the internet.

No we have a pretty high deductible to meet :( .

I also don't own a bike so cycling is out either way...
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Some questions

How is your form?
    How are your shoes?
    Are you pushing it to fast before your knees have a chance to develop?
    If you are only half way through your training and having an issue, would it be better to slow your training and lessen the risk of a more serious issue?

I think cycling is great for strengthening the knees, as well as hiking and trail running.

But as mentioned, you need to know specifically what is wrong first.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited September 2018
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Some questions

How is your form? Okay I think? I ran competitively in high school and my coach never said anything negative but that's all I have to go by
    How are your shoes?Much better, I started off training with old shoes but my new pair has been helping a lot.
    Are you pushing it to fast before your knees have a chance to develop?im following Hal Higdons novice 1 marathon plan. My knees are super painful the day of the long run, but by the next day they are 80% better, and by Monday they feel completely better
    If you are only half way through your training and having an issue, would it be better to slow your training and lessen the risk of a more serious issue?Thats a good idea, but I already want to run further lol

I think cycling is great for strengthening the knees, as well as hiking and trail running. Trail running is a good idea?

I don't own a bike so that's completely out. Also not a fan of biking. I plan to do a lot of hiking when the trails aren't so flooded though!
    But as mentioned, you need to know specifically what is wrong first.
    My doctor said I had "runners knee" and that was all.

Thanks!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I dealt with it for nearly two years and tried EVERYTHING. Finally had to give up running. This helped. Jumper's straps will help mitigate the pain but only rest will eliminate it completely. A bad case can take 2/3 months of rest to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/Patella-Relief-Hiking-Basketball-Volleyball/dp/B013TIJ40Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1536609347&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=jumper's+knee+strap&psc=1
  • FL_Hiker
    I dealt with it for nearly two years and tried EVERYTHING. Finally had to give up running. This helped. Jumper's straps will help mitigate the pain but only rest will eliminate it completely. A bad case can take 2/3 months of rest to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/Patella-Relief-Hiking-Basketball-Volleyball/dp/B013TIJ40Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1536609347&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=jumper's+knee+strap&psc=1

Thank you!!!! I will have to try these 😊
  • TavistockToad

Have you seen a doctor now who diagnosed it as 'runners knee'?
  • FL_Hiker
    edited September 2018

Have you seen a doctor now who diagnosed it as 'runners knee'?

No I can't go to the Dr right now because I have crappy insurance. But it feels exactly the same as it used to. It wasn't that long ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    If it's Runner's Knee, it will hurt more going downstairs (a lot more) than going up them.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    How old are your shoes?
    If this developed after you had been doing a lot of running, it could be an overuse injury but it could also be that ou need to replace shoes that you have worn out.