Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Coke

1235»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I don’t think it was trying to scare me ... it was really interesting as opposed to scary

Meanwhile in your previous post
    I read that they made people drink Diet Coke and normal coke in some expeiriment and those drinking Diet Coke has raised insulin levels which is a scary though!

Insulin and glucagon expression and release are regulated on the basis of blood glucose level, not by your taste buds. People who have had their tounges cut out aren't suddenly diabetics incapable of insulin production.

Regardless can you explain why raised insulin levels are scary? I've heard people act like insulin is some sort of boogie man and I dont get it. Your body homeostatically regulates blood glucose levels because it is important for your cellular function to maintain a certain concentration of glucose.

When your blood glucose is too low your pancreas releases the hormone glucagon which triggers your cells to break down the storage molecule glycogen and liberate glucose into your blood. If your blood glucose is too high then your pancreas releases the hormone insulin which triggers your cells to uptake glucose from your blood and either utilize it for energy or store it as glycogen. That is it.

Having elevated insulin levels isnt scary...it just means your body is appropriately responding to your blood glucose level being too high. If that regulatory system is dysfunctional then you are diabetic...either because you cannot produce insulin (type I) or because your cells receptors dont bind insulin to transmit the signal for uptake (type II).

I get your first point, yes I sort of contradicted myself there whoops .. but the reason I find it scary that these diet sodas can raise insulin levels (if only drank in large quantities and certainly not for just one or two a day) Is that too much insulin can lead to serious health problems. Having high levels, also known as hyperinsulinemia, has been linked to obesity, heart disease and cancer (1, 2, 3). High blood insulin levels also cause your cells to become resistant to the hormone's effects.

Hyperinsulinemia is an issue for type II diabetics, not for anyone else. Type II diabetes is characterized by low binding efficiency of cell receptors (INSR) that normally bind insulin and transmit a signal for cells to uptake glucose thereby lowering blood glucose level. This results in a normal amount of insulin not triggering a normal insulin response and as a result the body regulates the production of insulin. This has absolutely nothing to do with diet soda and is a total misdirect. Not even looking at your article as I am on my phone I can pretty safely assume that if those (1,2,3) citations if they are citing actual science at all are likely citing studies of type II diabetics and not in reference to diet soda consumption. If anyone can find what she is quoting from and look at those citations they can confirm if I am right about that or not.

Or, Mandylou, if you want you should look at what those (1,2,3) are actually referencing and see if "diet soda" is mentioned anywhere or if "Type II diabetes" is mentioned anywhere...my guess, again, is if they are citing actual scientific studies and not just some other website you will find that those studies are going to be with regards to type II diabetics and have nothing to do with diet soda. Websites like the ones you post love to cite studies that have nothing to do with what they are claiming just to give themselves the appearance of backing up their claims.

Interesting, not only do the research publications cited at the footnotes not mention diet soda, but the web page she copied and pasted from does not mention diet soda, either. It does, however, say

In contrast, the group who added artificially sweetened foods to their usual diet experienced a 3% decrease in fasting insulin levels (30).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/14-ways-to-lower-insulin#section4
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I confess to have fallen dangerously in like of the relatively new Diet Coke Ginger Lime.

Me too! But I always liked the old Diet Coke with Lime too.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    If you like it, drink it. There's nothing wrong with diet sodas, they do not inhibits weight loss.
  • anchower1973
    anchower1973 Posts: 16 Member
    It tastes really gross, but doesn't have any calories. I would much rather have a Coke Zero.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Low-calorie Beverage Consumption, Diet Quality and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in British Adults:
    http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/9/1261/htm
    This study examined the association between LCB consumption, diet quality and cardiometabolic risk factors in British adults. It found that compared to the SSB group, subjects in the LCB group had a lower energy intake as well as a diet lower in total sugar and free sugars, with an increased odds of meeting current UK dietary guidelines on free sugar intake. Moreover, there were no differences in blood glucose, triglycerides, total cholesterol, LDL, or HDL levels between LCB and SSB or NC group...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I confess to have fallen dangerously in like of the relatively new Diet Coke Ginger Lime.

That sounds like it would go great with some dark rum...
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Funny you brought this up. Just had someone give me the old "Ya' know, they say . . . " bizness the other day about a diet soda. Actually it was Coke Zero, which is delicious. Anyway, I had mentioned that I have laid off carbonated drinks (because of bloating from the carbonation, not because of the fear of aspartame or sucralose), but I was splurging on a Coke Zero that day. I can't handle my sugar, so it is much better for me to drink the occasional diet versus a full sugar soda that will only lead to more, more, more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You are all wrong. It’s Diet Pepsi FTW.