Things people say when you're dieting.

Options
Just thinking about some of the stuff that people say when you're dieting. For example: having a bit of a cheat meal (it was only a tiny cheat) at work the other day, and I say to a co-worker "I haven't been drinking carbonated drinks lately, but I think I'm going to splurge and have a diet soda with this." His response after I returned with said diet soda was "Ya' know, they say it's better to have a small amount of a real sugar soda than to have that diet stuff." I was nice. I didn't say much in response, maybe "Oh, yeah I've heard that too," as I continued to sip on my diet soda. I was nice because I used to be that guy. And, I knew as soon as he said those famous last words, "they say", that I was going to get a dose of my own medicine.

Or awhile back when I was having quite a bit of success losing weight (before too much of what "they say" sunk in and I tried to take a break from it), and someone asked me what I was doing to lose the weight. Diet and exercise of course. But which diet, he wanted to know. Well, I was doing low carb, high fat. And, as soon as I said it, the lecture began about how that is not good for your heart, and he knows because his dad was in the medical field, yada, yada, yada. Ok, listen, I eat more veggies and less meat when I eat LCHF than when I eat the SAD. So, please just stop. Some people may eat nothing but eggs, cheese, and meat like an old school Atkins diet. But, I don't eat like that, and not everyone who does LCHF and Keto do.

The point is, people are full of advice and information about what YOU need to do. But, clearly I have issues with food, moderation, portion control, etc. So no, it isn't better for me to drink full sugar sodas all day long every day rather than have a single diet soda once or twice a month. No, it isn't better for me to eat more carbs from fruit and whole grains. Sugar and starch spike and then crash my blood sugar and send my hunger and cravings off the chart. So, I'm gonna' do me, and you do you and ignore MOST of what THEY SAY. Because, you know what is worse for my heart than having too much fat in my diet? Weighing 250 pounds and rising is worse for my heart. THEY SAY it's really bad for your heart when you have a lot of fat around your core. And, the way I was feeling, I think THEY were right about that one.

Replies

• mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I don’t recall goofy things people said to me because I worked hard to ignore the noise. I do recall being struck by how much misinformation I had internalized from advertising.

Head down and mouth shut was how I went about weight loss. When I attracted attention- Hey, you’ve lost a lot of weight. How ya do it? Me: Old fashioned diet and exercise. And keep moving.

Best way I think or don’t tell people you are at all 👍
  • sarithasudhakaran
    Options
    @mojo4717 I too agree with you...Don't tell people about your diet or goals to reduce weight/to be fit.

Out of 10 people around us, only 1-2 will be supportive and all others will have lot of doubts which needs to be clarified, lots of discouraging words/actions which will loose our motivation etc etc..

Better to be silent....
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Everyone just needs to stop telling people their personal business!
    When its hard for others and you to avoid the questions.....simple."Mindful Eating"
    Plain and simple.
  • geminai
    geminai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This has been so refreshing to read, thank you all for sharing your experiences! Now I can laugh about the people who want to tell me what I'm doing wrong, even if what I'm doing seems to work for me. :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been told that "eating in front of the open fridge doesn't count. But you have to stand, if you sit down - only then do the calories count."
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I work really hard to get fit and be healthy. But just as much as wanting that, I want to be liked. A sure way NOT to be liked is to give anyone unsolicited advice. Why oh why do we do it! As I mature I realize ..no matter the topic; I don't offer suggestions or advice; unless it's my daughter...then okay yeah. But, with even her I don't touch the weight issue.... again.. I want to be liked and loved by her more than anyone!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    People can be real *kitten*s. When they give unsolicited "gee, that seems to be working really well for you, so this is how you should fix it," advice like that to me, I sometimes think they are either trying to sabotage my weight loss success, or else hitch a vicarious ride on it.

My mom said something that really ticked me off last night. Although in her case, I think it was just because people sometimes just say dumb things.

I have fibromyalgia, which means (among many other things) that my body doesn't repair its muscles and tissues very well after exercise. That means that exercise is frequently "punished" by sore muscles, pain and exhaustion. That's discouraging as *kitten*, and I have dealt with it mostly by just not exercising. (Which, of course, makes it worse. Fibromyalgia is a game where you often really "just can't win for losin.'")

The only way around the exercise-punishment thing is to find a level of exercise so low that the body can handle the amount of repair involved, and then "titrate" the exercise level very slowly up from there. I've tried to do this more than once, but kept pulling down massive "punishments" for gentle little neighborhood strolls.

I tried again the other day with the most gentle "workout" I could think of: 0.3 miles, 30 foot elevation gain/loss, 9 minutes of walking at just above comfortable pace for me. (That's not a workout, that's just getting to your car in mall parking lot!)

But it thoroughly kicked my butt. Not much soreness this time, but I've been totally *kitten*ed out and needing to sleep nearly round the clock for the last three days.

So, I was telling Mom about this, partly to explain why I hadn't called when I'd said I would, and she said many supportive and encouraging things. And then she said: "Well, maybe you should take a walk like that more often than every few years."

Gosh, Ma, why didn't I think of that? I'll just jump in my time machine and go back and rectify my previous behavior - was the first thing I didn't say to her. I also didn't ask her if, all the times that she's needed my help during the years in question, I should have been unavailable because I was recovering from a titration walk. I didn't - well, there's a lot that I didn't say to her. :|

Next titration walk tomorrow. I'm aiming for about half the distance over the same course, and I'll see how that works out. And I probably won't mention it to Mom if I don't have to.

I'm very sorry this happened. Exercise is the only thing that controls my fibro pain and moods. Keeping my weight down helps fatigue too (meds gave me hallucinations). So one of my in laws who knows about my fibro will do the whole "you've lost enough weight, why are you still on this" nonsense, then in the next sentence tell me fibromyalgia isn't a big deal, I'm just being dramatic, attention seeking, or even making it up. When she asks about it now I just say "I'm still alive" and change the subject. The passive aggressive minimizing nonsense just ticks me off and I feel worse.

I hope your plan works for you.