Re-evaluation of my running career

Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been running my whole life. I've been in competitive programs and I hate certain elements of running, but I love what running provides me. Similar to studying I don't know if anyone enjoys the hard work building up to the culmination, but they enjoy sitting back at the end and witnessing the results of effort.

When I was in track my joy came from records and being the best on the field - the competition. 30 years later and I still dread the first couple miles, then my body just slips into gear and I go on autopilot. I do much of my planning and thinking on runs.

I've also shifted more to trail running and different competitions - triathlons, multi-sport, obstacle course races, etc. In this regard running serves a greater purpose
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bodies are made for movement.
    If you dislike running, quit doing it.
    But you'll have to find some kind of activity you do like doing.
    Just sitting is not an option for a human being.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Bodies are made for movement.
    If you dislike running, quit doing it.
    But you'll have to find some kind of activity you do like doing.
    Just sitting is not an option for a human being.

Unfortunately a lot of people do think it's an option!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I hate running. Always have and always will.

There are other forms,of exercise that provide equivalent (and arguably greater) health benefits with less,risk of physical injury, such as biking, rowing and swimming.

My exercise of choice is rowing daily and some occasional long distance hiking.

Run if you enjoy it but there's no need to run if you don't.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have tried running several times, but I just don't enjoy it. One time I got to the point were I could run 30 minutes at a time at a decent pace, but I still had to force myself every. single. time. Nope, not worth my valuable life time to do something I really hate (when I don't HAVE to do it). Instead, I turned to walking, which I enjoy much more.

I am like you, though. I've never really like doing regularly scheduled sports. I do something when I feel like it, but I hate, hate, hate to have to go the gym regularly and stuff like that.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. Love to read about your personal struggles/developments <3
    One more question, especially for @MikePfirrman and @TavistockToad (I'd love to read answers from anyone) What kept you continuing during the period in which you didn't enjoy it?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. Love to read about your personal struggles/developments <3
    One more question, especially for @MikePfirrman and @TavistockToad (I'd love to read answers from anyone) What kept you continuing during the period in which you didn't enjoy it?

It turns out I'm super competitive with myself, so I wanted to get better and beat my PBs!!!!

Thinking back, i got injured training for a 10k, and realised I actually missed running, and once I was recovered I became more consistent. That was the beginning of 2016 and when I signed up for my first half.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    missevil wrote: »

For me, doing C25K, I was traveling a lot for work. Running was easy to facilitate, consistent and not vulnerable to hotel facilities. Once I got to 10K I was finding more enjoyment in it. The first ten minutes or so were still a chore but I was finding that 45 minutes of an hour long run were enjoyable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bore easily. When it starts to creep up on my latest activity, I change something. When I first started running I thought the obvious answer was “longer runs” but I found my performance declined over the months. I found my most natural run is about 5K. I add variety by what I do for those 5K. I might sign up for a run. Or try that Zombies, Run app.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that running was a chore for me for about the 1st year and as it became less painful (I was horribly out of shape) I started thinking about it less and enjoying it more. I also changed my mindset from doing it because it as good for me to thinking of it as play time.

Another thing that changed running for me was racing. I'm still definitely a middle of the pack runner but I found a tangible way of measuring my improvement and I met a whole community that I hadn't known existed. i'm still mostly a solo runner but that's largely because I'm blessed with great recreational paths just a few hundred metres from my front door and my runs are like a form of meditation.

Having said that, running isn't for everybody. What's important is that you're active and healthy. It may take some time to find your bliss but stay open to new experiences and have fun!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my dogs kept me going. they are much better behaved if i run them. and they are happier.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The C25K was awful for me but I signed up for a half marathon because the training burned a lot calories and I like to eat...a lot. Once my runs got past 45 minutes I started not minding them, then I switched to running outside for distance instead of the treadmill for time. Now I actually I enjoy running (it's been about a year since I started), except the first mile, I still hate the first mile every single time :|
    If it's the drenched in sweat feeling that you dislike though, give weight training a shot!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just a random thought or two. Slow down your runs. If you want to keep running to enjoy the health benefits but don’t care about “training,” running slower is fine and more relaxing.

If you like sprinting, take up soccer or basketball. I HATE sprinting—until you put a ball in front of me. Then, OMG, I’m like a dog; “Get the ball; get the ball; get the ball.” Long, slower runs give you the endurance to play, and the game is so fun. I learned to play soccer at age 45 as an alternative to basketball ( jumping was harder on my knees).

Certainly weight training can help with body composition. Doesn’t help with cardio-vascular fitness, though. So maybe just keep mixing it up and one day you’ll find the right combo. Good luck!
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The beauty of running is that it is so easy to set your next goal and be motivated towards it.

You got motivated for your 5k - who's to say there isn't a 10k in your future? Maybe further?

I can't speak as to where you run, but there is always the option to vary your route to find more interesting things to see.

And you don't have to go all in with your next effort as what you described. You can do bodyweight training for your strength (remember, running doesn't require a ton of strength).

Or, as you mentioned, you can run just for the calorie burn. Taking a guess here, you burn more than 300 calories during a 5k. Care to take a guess as to what you would burn during a 10k? 1/2 marathon?