Hurricane Season

Options

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Well, when Irma was coming to Florida we were all told to leave the state entirely or DIE!!!. I-95 and I-75 were at a virtual standstill for days. I would rather die than sit in a car on I-75 for 12 hours . (but that's just me).

Yeah, my FB memories feed this week is full of photos of I-75 at a standstill, gas lines at the few stations that had fuel, and my adventure of stalking the Amerigas truck to get propane for my generator. I have always stayed, but then again I'm in the middle of the state so I don't deal with landfall or tidal surge or flooding (house is on a hill).
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    Well, when Irma was coming to Florida we were all told to leave the state entirely or DIE!!!. I-95 and I-75 were at a virtual standstill for days. I would rather die than sit in a car on I-75 for 12 hours . (but that's just me).

Same here. Other than no power for a week we were perfectly fine.

I live near the coast (Melbourne), but it's a newer community with underground power.. Plus we share our grid with the Hospital!. . My son still has not really experienced a hurricane because he has slept through the last two and we haven't lost power even once!.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »

Yeah, my FB memories feed this week is full of photos of I-75 at a standstill, gas lines at the few stations that had fuel, and my adventure of stalking the Amerigas truck to get propane for my generator. I have always stayed, but then again I'm in the middle of the state so I don't deal with landfall or tidal surge or flooding (house is on a hill).

I think that it's detrimental how the government and media whip every one into a frenzy. . There was no reason for that many people to leave. If you don't live on a barrier island, and you live in a block house built in the last 20 years, DON'T leave!. the Highways should be clear for those who really are at risk. Folks in older homes or trailer-homes and folks who live on the beaches.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I think that it's detrimental how the government and media whip every one into a frenzy. . There was no reason for that many people to leave. If you don't live on a barrier island, and you live in a block house built in the last 20 years, DON'T leave!. the Highways should be clear for those who really are at risk. Folks in older homes or trailer-homes and folks who live on the beaches.

This is bad advice.

For example. If you are on a raised house, do you really want to be stranded in your house surrounded by flood water. What if the wind is strong enough (Cat 5) to blow off part of the roof or a tree hits your house after there is flooding.

If you live in a flood plain, leave. Not to mention overtaxing EMS (Emergency Management Services) because people that should of left didn't.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

Okay, well, you can leave. I'm staying.
  • klkarlen
    Options

The problem with Irma was the path changed damn near hourly. My daughter came from Tampa to my house, Tampa was supposed to get a direct hit, but it didn't, and Irma did a lot of damage in my area, mainly to trees. I lost a few shingles off my 20 year old barn, and had a lot of tree branches down, and no power for 5 days, but that was it.
  • klkarlen
    Options

This is bad advice.

For example. If you are on a raised house, do you really want to be stranded in your house surrounded by flood water. What if the wind is strong enough (Cat 5) to blow off part of the roof or a tree hits your house after there is flooding.

If you live in a flood plain, leave. Not to mention overtaxing EMS (Emergency Management Services) because people that should of left didn't.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

Almost every town turns the schools into shelters, where the folks can at least stay near home and off the highways, or find a friend with a house with hurricane shutters. I have windows rated for 145 mph and hurricane straps on every roof joist in the house, I get a nice hurricane mitigation discount on my homeowners because of it.

I'm not saying every one should stay, obviously if the local authorities knock on your door and tell you to get out, you better be going.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk hurricanes---I just got all my repairs finished in late July from Hurricane Irma that hit one year ago today...I hope I never see another one again!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    gg9oqyrvmffv.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    I have no idea why anyone would buy milk who lives near where the hurricane will strike.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options

This is bad advice.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

I agree this was bad advice. There has only been one other Category 4 hurricane to EVER make landfall in NC (Hazel, 1954). The last major hurricane to make landfall in NC was in 1996, 22 years ago. Not to mention the damage from other hurricanes that were a category 1 and 2. The big threat here is going to be flooding most likely. Both the GFS and EURO models have this storm stalling over Eastern NC with a potential of 40" of rain in the worst areas.

Keep safe everyone and don't listen to bad advice, if you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, you will NOT be provided assistance until after the storm.

There was also suggestions that if you do stay in the most dangerous areas, to write your SSN on your chest in sharpie. Limbs get torn off and abdomen is usually the go to spot for alligators. This will help to identify people in the event that something terrible happens. Grim I know, but keep it in perspective.

Forecast as of now really is pointing to a storm that will likely be stronger than what North Carolinians have recently lived through. I have family in Southport, NC that are also being stubborn and staying. Storm surge map has the sea rising to just beside their property if it rises only 4 feet. If more, I fear for their safety.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Here is an updated gif.

https://i.imgur.com/9mQaaOG.gif

As earlier, beware of rain if you are sticking around Eastern NC. Wilmington, NC is forecasted 38" of rain from the storm over the next 4 days (24" Friday, 14" Saturday).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    This is why I live in North Dakota

North Dakota:

The Meat Popsicle State
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Hurricane season probably is the best time to be homeless.

It's not like your house is going to get washed or blown away.

No Worries.
  • _Captivated_
    _Captivated_ Posts: 5,669 Member
    Options
    Apparently we're all gonna drown here in SW VA.
  • mybassfishingirl
    mybassfishingirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I live mid ways in SC, about 70 miles from coast, & afraid for the 1st time in my life.
  • cee134
    Options
    Machafin wrote: »

This is bad advice.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

I agree this was bad advice. There has only been one other Category 4 hurricane to EVER make landfall in NC (Hazel, 1954). The last major hurricane to make landfall in NC was in 1996, 22 years ago. Not to mention the damage from other hurricanes that were a category 1 and 2. The big threat here is going to be flooding most likely. Both the GFS and EURO models have this storm stalling over Eastern NC with a potential of 40" of rain in the worst areas.

Keep safe everyone and don't listen to bad advice, if you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, you will NOT be provided assistance until after the storm.

There was also suggestions that if you do stay in the most dangerous areas, to write your SSN on your chest in sharpie. Limbs get torn off and abdomen is usually the go to spot for alligators. This will help to identify people in the event that something terrible happens. Grim I know, but keep it in perspective.

Forecast as of now really is pointing to a storm that will likely be stronger than what North Carolinians have recently lived through. I have family in Southport, NC that are also being stubborn and staying. Storm surge map has the sea rising to just beside their property if it rises only 4 feet. If more, I fear for their safety.

I heard 10 feet?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Machafin wrote: »

This is bad advice.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

I heard 10 feet?
    Yes, the NHC noted that a surge up to 9-13 ft is possible.

• cee134
    Options
    *kitten*

c5uemw87rd6u.png

• cee134
    Options
    Looks like GA is a target again....