Can't lose weight

Options
I have been eating better and was exercising the past couple weeks and I actually gained weight. Normally I am 130lbs 5'2 female. That's what I have been a majority of my adult life. Now i am ay 160lbs. I know it did not happen overnight but how can I get back to that weight?

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    When you add a new exercise program, your body retains water for muscle repair and the weight from the water may initially mask any fat loss. If you are in a true calorie deficit, you will see the number on the scale go down over time, but likely not every week. Some weeks the number on the scale may even go up, like you've experienced, due to natural fluctuations. Only be concerned if you don't see a loss over a month or so. But do take the steps outlined in the previous posts to ensure you are in a calorie deficit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and logging every morsel of food that passes your lips? If not you can be "eating better" in that you're eating more nutritious food, avoiding junk food etc but still be consuming too many calories.

The key is to consistently eat at a modest caloric deficit over time. MFP takes exercise calories into account when determining what your daily intake should be but you should be aware that many exercise calculators exaggerate the calories burned during exercise.

Be patient, it may take time but you want to adopt eating habits that you can stick with for the rest of your life. Good luck!
  • 2sitzais
    2sitzais Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone. I will try to be more strict with what I am eating and the amount.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    "Can't" isn't a consideration. You can do this! Follow the advice given above and you will lose. You can!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Once you start doing it right, you will lose weight. It's going to take some time, but there's no better time to start than now.
  • 2sitzais
    2sitzais Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is it better to exercise on an empty stomach or after eaten? I have learned so much just looking around this app it's amazing
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    2sitzais wrote: »
    Is it better to exercise on an empty stomach or after eaten? I have learned so much just looking around this app it's amazing

Either is fine depending on your personal preference. Some people like to exercise fasted, some people don't. Nutrient timing is really only a consideration if you are an athlete competing in some sport. It's not a concern for most of us regular folk just looking to get fit and maintain a healthy weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What you are eating matters for health and for how satisfied you will feel. If you base your diet on junk food, it might be very hard to feel happy with a limited amount of calories, so controlling what you eat is a good start. But to lose weight, you do need to limit calories, regardless of healthy or not are your food choices.