Day 2

Options
Day 2 on myfitnesspal.
Yesterday I didn't reach my 1200 goal, but I know that it probably got made up via the coffee's I drank. I get on my scales everyday and I can literally can lose nearly a stone when I stand on it at different times of the day. I know weight fluctuates throughout the day, but is this normal? I don't know. I really want a flat stomach ( Like a lot of females) .. I am determined to lose 2 stones. I never get exercise during the week as I just don't have the time, so I think this weekend calls for a long walk! :*

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do not step on the scale at different times of the day, that's not what's meant by weight fluctuations, that's day to day.

It doesn't matter for weight management what you eat or drink or log or don't log, what matters is how many calories you really ingest.

Maybe not wish for unrealistic goals, like photoshopped ideals?
  • victoriatownley1
    Options
    Aaah, I understand. I think I'm just trying to motivate myself. I actually have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is I wanna lose weight and eat healthy. Logging what I eat and drink prevents me from over doing it so it does help me in a way, but I definitely understand where your coming from. Thanks for the tips!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normally, but what isn't normal is stepping on the scale lots of time in a day. It would be better to pick a time of the day to weigh yourself and only weight yourself at that time (For most on here it's first thing in the morning, after they've been to the loo, but before they've eaten anything). Personally I like to weight myself every day, but you may find it better for you to weigh less frequently. It's whatever works best for you, but multiple times a day really isn't beneficial.

On the subject of flat stomachs, may I suggest checking out This Thread.

Also, don't worry about feeling like you don't really know what you're doing. If everyone knew how to loose weight, the diet industry wouldn't exist. However, what really matters is calorie deficit. All you need to do is make sure that you're eating less than you burn and you will loose fat. Sometimes the scales will fight against us, but as long as you're consistently under your calorie expenditure, then you'll see the scales move.

At risk of sounding rude, is 1200kcal an appropriate goal for you? Its really not very much food, and if you can get away with eating more and still loose weight, then it really makes the journey much much easier. A slower rate of loss can really make adherence to your plan much easier and make the weight come off just as fast.

Also, as you've just started, I would recommend logging everything religiously, including those coffees. Once you've got a handle on logging and you're used to it, then you can ease up a little bit (and of course if you're actually loosing)
  • victoriatownley1
    Options
    I'm gonna use that tip and weigh myself when I get home from work everyday, some things I've read on the internet have suggested weighing myself at different times of the day,I'm glad I've now found somewhere that real people can give me realistic views.
    I checked out that thread and it's so true, it's just easier looking at someone else's 'normal' body and complimenting it rather than your own, well for me it is. Because I used to be so big, I don't feel like I will ever be 'normal' .. My BMI is normal and doctors tell me that I'm on track, but it's just hard to believe and I just want to do more. I want a more healthier lifestyle more than a flat stomach, I'm just hoping that the flat stomach eventually comes along lol. The 1,200kcal was suggested on this site so I just took it as it knows best, trying to eat this much yesterday was hard, it seems like you eat so much when dieting!
    I'm starting to log everryything from today. I can't wait to see a difference in my health! Glad I have found some sort of support on here.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yep. weight fluctuates throughout the day based on what we've eaten/drank (if that's a word). I always weigh myself right after getting up in the morning and always naked. It seems to always be right around the same time of day and in the same condition (so clothes don't alter the scale reading). Just pick a time and stick with it as much as you can. Also, try to wear the same type of clothes/shoes so you can be as consistent as possible.

We're cheering for you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm gonna use that tip and weigh myself when I get home from work everyday, some things I've read on the internet have suggested weighing myself at different times of the day,I'm glad I've now found somewhere that real people can give me realistic views.
    The internet can tell you anything and give any advice, it's up to you to fact check it. Sometimes it's hard, because bad advice not only get repeated a lot, our minds also play tricks with us, we just want to believe certain things.
    I checked out that thread and it's so true, it's just easier looking at someone else's 'normal' body and complimenting it rather than your own, well for me it is. Because I used to be so big, I don't feel like I will ever be 'normal' .. My BMI is normal and doctors tell me that I'm on track, but it's just hard to believe and I just want to do more. I want a more healthier lifestyle more than a flat stomach, I'm just hoping that the flat stomach eventually comes along lol.
    A healthier lifestyle will give you the flattest stomach you're supposed to have. And a healthy lifestyle implies that you're happy with (or at least accepting) your body, as it is. It does not mean that you have stopped caring or aren't interested in getting better, but to get better, you must care about what you already have. These things are a bit complex.
    The 1,200kcal was suggested on this site so I just took it as it knows best,
    The calorie calculator is just a stupid algorithm, based on the "garbage in-garbage out" principle. It doesn't know best. 1200 calories was suggested because you picked 2 pounds per week. If you pick a less aggressive weightloss goal, you get more calories. Try it.
    trying to eat this much yesterday was hard, it seems like you eat so much when dieting!
    That's not a completely correct analysis. 1200 calories isn't much food. If you're overweight, you've eaten a lot more. What is true is that you're not supposed to starve yourself just because you want to lose weight, and that 1200 calories in real food is more volume and nutrition than 2000 calories of candy. What is likely, is that, as a newbie, you're not logging correctly, either leaving out some things that have calories, or picking items from the database with too low values, or logging less than the amount you're eating - or that you're eating low calorie diet foods that kills your appetite temporarily - or you're so excited about going on a new weightloss journey and/or desperate to lose weight, so you don't feel hungry. Another thing is that if you're overweight, you're probably not that much in tune with your hunger cues anyway, you've consistently eaten without being hungry. When you're overweight, you have enough fat stores to handle a short period of undereating, but that doesn't mean it's ideal, because if you want to lose weight, your main focus should be on avoiding rebound overeating, which is what always happens after a period of deprivation.

So there's a lot to be aware of. But it's still a lot easier than the women's magazines and the diet industry wants us to think.
    I'm starting to log everryything from today. I can't wait to see a difference in my health! Glad I have found some sort of support on here.
    MFP can be a gamechanger. It was for me.