Vegan Ketogenic diet

Anyone out there been doing this for some time and found great success?

Replies

• I am doing keto and cannot imagine how limited my menu would be with no dairy or meat or fish. But good luck--I know it CAN be done...
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Is there any particular reason you want to combine two pretty much opposing ways of eating?
    Short of some sort of medical reason, most people would probably find that combination too restrictive to be sustainable.
    Good luck if you try it.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    I know people who do plant based keto. Definitely possible. You may need to make some adjustments like using low carb vegetarian protein powders to get your protein since vegan protein sources are higher carb.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    uhhhhh no?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    I'm keto, but I can't imagine being vegan trying to do it. How about just being a raw food vegan? That would eliminate a lot of carbs (if you don't have too much fruit) and encourage just good fresh foods.

I lived with several dedicated ethical vegans who tried raw vegan for a few months. They all gave it up as unsustainable.

(This was not due to lack of variety of food - we lived in a vegetarian yoga center with vegan cooks and had kitchen privileges to a fully stocked kitchen.)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Your biggest challenge is going to be getting enough protein. I would target that first. Getting your fats in is much easier when restricting animal products than getting in protein (and iron). Make sure you're supplementing B-12.

Remember weight goals (lose, maintain, gain) depend on calories, so if you are also calorie-restricted, it may be difficult to eat enough allowed foods to meet your daily nutritional needs, so keep focused on that as well.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I am plant-based, (so basically HIGH on Carbs), but I do also love Protein and Fats, but also much of my diet is veggies and legumes, which are high in carbs and moderate in protein. I do eat Avocados a lot (high in oil/fat) and I also love nuts (oils and proteins). To meet my nutritional goal I need to eat a lot of Veggies and a lot of Legumes.

For example, I track mostly micro-nutrients such as Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Selenium, Vit Bs. (I have to do this as I am calorie-restricting atm to help with weight loss, so I need to be kinda careful on plant-based, it's easy to get a deficiency otherwise).

When I eat a really balanced plant-based diet that allows me to hit my overall micro-nutritional goals, like for Calcium, Iron, Vitamins, Selenium, Omega 3s etc ... my macros land about about 50% Carb, 30% fat, 20% protein most days. But some days my carb will be up around 60%, it's the fats that go down.

I am not sure how you can get enough plant-based protein without the carbs. I rely on legumes and pulses mainly. If I could rely on nuts for protein, I doubt I could do it within my calories allowance, given all the other nutritional considerations.

Well, I have dreamed of Keto - I heard its a fat-burning state of being, but then again, as a plant-based person, I have learned to embrace the "healthy carb".
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Vegan keto is essentially non starchy vegetables, fat sources (nuts, avocado, vegan butter, vegan mayo, oil), plant based protein (tofu, seitan, tempeh) and limited amounts of starches that contain protein (beans, quinoa, oats). Consider finding a solid plant based protein powder to supplement on days when you are low on protein.

It's a lot of planning and you might find it very hard to eat away from your own cooking, which can impact any social events you might attend. It's not impossible to follow, but if you don't already like the foods listed, you might have a hard time adjusting.