I bought a bike and it was the best thing I ever did

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Speaking of bikes, I've googled around and can't find an answer to my question. Probably because it varies or it really doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any idea how the basic resistance of my one speed bike (which varies anyway because of my weight, terrain and wind) equates to a gear on a geared bike? There may not be an answer to that. I'm just curious because I note my SO does one pedal rotation compared to my one and a half or more if on the flat and no wind, and has greater speed with less apparent work. I don't even try to keep up but feel I actually may get more of a workout even though I'm at a slower speed. Just curious.

There's math that can answer this.

You need to figure out how many teeth are on the chain ring (big one on the front of the chain) and the sprocket (smaller one on the back of the chain), and the ratio between them. Then you can find the equivalent gear on his bike. The numbers of teeth are probably stamped into the metal so you don't have to count.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Speaking of bikes, I've googled around and can't find an answer to my question. Probably because it varies or it really doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any idea how the basic resistance of my one speed bike (which varies anyway because of my weight, terrain and wind) equates to a gear on a geared bike? There may not be an answer to that. I'm just curious because I note my SO does one pedal rotation compared to my one and a half or more if on the flat and no wind, and has greater speed with less apparent work. I don't even try to keep up but feel I actually may get more of a workout even though I'm at a slower speed. Just curious.

There's math that can answer this.

You need to figure out how many teeth are on the chain ring (big one on the front of the chain) and the sprocket (smaller one on the back of the chain), and the ratio between them. Then you can find the equivalent gear on his bike. The numbers of teeth are probably stamped into the metal so you don't have to count.

Thanks! I'll figure that out and get back to you.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Until your first crash, until your first serious accident, until your first theft, until you bike so much that you simple cannot be bothered to get on the bike anymore :)

I can relate, as a child I would bike to school regularly, then my brother had a head injury while riding his bike (with me at the time) and I didn't ride mine for about 6 months, I took the bus instead
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    In a similar vein - I bought a dog (2yrs ago) and it was the best thing I ever did!

My beagle is a great little buddy, and definitely makes me get up and moving more, even on days that I'd happily skip going for a walk/run.

The increased activity also brought to light some ongoing issues after I broke my ankle a few years ago (eep, just looked at the date - 3 years ago TODAY). Without that, I possibly wouldn't have gone on to get the metalware removed, and now I have a much better range of movement...to the point I think my next purchase might in fact be a bike! Saving my pennies now...

Didn't think I would ever ride a bike again or run (which I do at a snail's pace, but I am extremely happy with the fact I can do it at all).

Some purchases certainly do make a bigger impact than initially planned
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    3 hours and 40 miles a day is serious biking! That's over 200 miles a week! Very impressive. I'm lucky if I get 40 a week right now :(
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun. My kids and husband and one of my kids friends are all into bikes and they ride around on their bikes and I'm like :( I really want a bike but just don't want to spend the money lol.