cee134 wrote: »
    *kitten*

c5uemw87rd6u.png

Surf Atlanta?

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    gg9oqyrvmffv.jpg
    That's more like New England blizzard staples.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Yeah, latest has it hitting NC, SC, and GA. GA just had a state of emergency declared about a hour ago for all counties. This storm has been quite crazy with how much it has change. Goes to show that models are not perfect and can easily make mistakes. Best advice if you are in the affected area is to keep up with what is going on.

I suggest periodically checking the National Hurricane Center for updates on Hurricane Florence. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents is the most updated cone for the hurricane, last updated at 11:00 AM EST
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Machafin wrote: »
    Yeah, latest has it hitting NC, SC, and GA. GA just had a state of emergency declared about a hour ago for all counties. This storm has been quite crazy with how much it has change. Goes to show that models are not perfect and can easily make mistakes. Best advice if you are in the affected area is to keep up with what is going on.

I suggest periodically checking the National Hurricane Center for updates on Hurricane Florence. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents is the most updated cone for the hurricane, last updated at 11:00 AM EST

That's the home page for almost every Floridian from June through November.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Long duration, life-threatening event unfolding in the Carolinas. Florence is only moving at 5 mph right now, and it will continue to move very slowly into Saturday. Tremendous rainfall amounts are expected into inland areas with a substantial storm surge at the coast.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    from a NOAA Satellite early Thursday evening - It's fixin to get messy up theren4kwfqccbjll.jpg
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Machafin wrote: »
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Well, when Irma was coming to Florida we were all told to leave the state entirely or DIE!!!. I-95 and I-75 were at a virtual standstill for days. I would rather die than sit in a car on I-75 for 12 hours . (but that's just me).

Yeah, my FB memories feed this week is full of photos of I-75 at a standstill, gas lines at the few stations that had fuel, and my adventure of stalking the Amerigas truck to get propane for my generator. I have always stayed, but then again I'm in the middle of the state so I don't deal with landfall or tidal surge or flooding (house is on a hill).

I think that it's detrimental how the government and media whip every one into a frenzy. . There was no reason for that many people to leave. If you don't live on a barrier island, and you live in a block house built in the last 20 years, DON'T leave!. the Highways should be clear for those who really are at risk. Folks in older homes or trailer-homes and folks who live on the beaches.

This is bad advice.

For example. If you are on a raised house, do you really want to be stranded in your house surrounded by flood water. What if the wind is strong enough (Cat 5) to blow off part of the roof or a tree hits your house after there is flooding.

If you live in a flood plain, leave. Not to mention overtaxing EMS (Emergency Management Services) because people that should of left didn't.

pkdgc54tny80.jpg

I agree this was bad advice. There has only been one other Category 4 hurricane to EVER make landfall in NC (Hazel, 1954). The last major hurricane to make landfall in NC was in 1996, 22 years ago. Not to mention the damage from other hurricanes that were a category 1 and 2. The big threat here is going to be flooding most likely. Both the GFS and EURO models have this storm stalling over Eastern NC with a potential of 40" of rain in the worst areas.

Keep safe everyone and don't listen to bad advice, if you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, you will NOT be provided assistance until after the storm.

There was also suggestions that if you do stay in the most dangerous areas, to write your SSN on your chest in sharpie. Limbs get torn off and abdomen is usually the go to spot for alligators. This will help to identify people in the event that something terrible happens. Grim I know, but keep it in perspective.

Forecast as of now really is pointing to a storm that will likely be stronger than what North Carolinians have recently lived through. I have family in Southport, NC that are also being stubborn and staying. Storm surge map has the sea rising to just beside their property if it rises only 4 feet. If more, I fear for their safety.

I heard 10 feet?
    Yes, the NHC noted that a surge up to 9-13 ft is possible.

That storm surge is on will be on top of multiple high tides. When it stalls near the coast they figure there will be 3 high tides + the storm surge
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Hurricane Florence Strikes North Carolina: 5 Killed, including a mother and her infant, Dozens Awaiting Rescue, 723,000 Without Power

rgb8xyy134dl.png
    • Hurricane Florence has knocked out power to more than 723,000 homes and businesses statewide.
    • Authorities have confirmed five deaths from the impacts of the storm.
    • Some 120 people stranded in storm surge were awaiting rescue in New Bern Friday morning.
    • About 12,000 people are in 126 evacuation shelters, state officials said.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2018-09-14-hurricane-florence-north-carolina-impacts

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Was preparing for Hurricane Isaac but it weakened and passed by without any damage.
  • cee134
    Florence has made Wilmington, N.C., an island cut off from the rest of the world
    http://www.starnewsonline.com/entertainmentlife/20180917/wilmington-remains-island-for-now

2cfjmnqdhe0e.png
    l2hyb3fo5rxx.jpg
  • cee134
    The Waffle House chain remained open in the marooned city - whether a town's Waffle House is open is one of the indicators FEMA uses to determine the scale of a disaster

ra2bsgz9y86f.jpg
  • cee134
    edited September 2018
    xvpcvojhb4m5.gif
    • At least 23 people have died in storm-related incidents, including a man and a woman in Horry County, S.C. who died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • Some 523,000 homes and businesses are still without power in North and South Carolina as of 5 a.m. Monday.
    • As of 5 a.m. Monday, Florence was a tropical depression, NOAA's Weather Prediction Center said, with sustained winds of 30 mph.
    • It was some 125 miles west-southwest of Roanoke, Va. and 145 miles west-northwest of Greensboro, N.C., moving north-northeast at 13 mph.
    • Florence was still massive Monday morning. Radar showed parts of the sprawling storm over six states, with North and South Carolina in the bull's-eye.
    • Some weakening is expected today before Florence re-intensifies as it transitions to an extratropical cyclone tomorrow and Wednesday.
    • Swansboro, N.C. has received more than 30 inches of rain; several other places have received more than 20 inches.
    • Florence is producing widespread heavy rains and causing flash flooding and major river flooding over a "significant portion" of North and South Carolina, the National Hurricane Center said.
  • Wilmington NC roads are closed due to excessive flooding. They said there is no access to the city so they're going to fly supplies in.
  • cee134
    Before and after Hurricane Florence.

f1yjdkxu06k5.jpg
  • cee134
    edited October 2018
    Well *kitten*. Again.

Currently a Cat. 4

This may be the worst hurricane to hit the Florida Panhandle.

The hurricane is also moving fast enough that it won't break up as much going through GA, unlike Florence that sat on land and broke up before it really got to GA. Expect power outages.

All the places that got flooded by Hurricane Florence are going to be hit by a tropical storm (Stronger then a tropical depression).

804jiv85u0tw.png
    y0q05smr7y6h.jpg
    wii7982q16b1.jpg
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    My area usually has a few hurricane watches and warning per year, and now that I live in a trailer I am super attuned. I am saving up to buy a house with a basement.
  • cee134
    lwsmhhflfcg2.png
  • cee134
    Mexico Beach, FL

mhikeabt6vte.png