Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Science vs. Scruples

Options

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I am troubled today to learn about some very disturbing accusations against one of the most influential figures in the fitness and nutrition industry: Alan Aragon.
    https://deadspin.com/how-celebrity-nutritionist-alan-aragon-used-his-status-1828684798
    This is a person that has contributed greatly to the field by championing a scientific approach that relies on evidence-based information and objective reasoning in an industry that is flooded with charlatans and snake-oil salesman.

Alan will likely face a major personal downfall over this, but no doubt he will eventually continue to produce valuable science to the field. Is it moral to contribute to an immoral person's financial gain by subscribing to their research reviews, reading their scientific papers, attending their speaking events, following them on social media, etc.? Should their professional insight be shunned so that knowledge is intentionally suppressed due to personal moral objection?

It's a shame that someone who has made so many contributions to the field now appears to be a complete power tripping *kitten* preying on women at these events. The only positive I can see is that the direct control of these women's careers is hopefully not influenced now that he is exposed for his actions.

Until or unless he gets his act together and takes appropriate actions to make these wrongs right, I wouldn't so much as click a link if it helps him in any way.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Anyone else find the hilarity behind the use of the "pound sign" # in this?

PoundMeToo

I should have stopped reading here; this "joke" is so puerile that I don't know how I could have believed any discussion of value would be in this post.

I see it as a farce and the inevitable conclusion of worshiping celebrities. Assuming both parties are responsible adults of sound mind then it is up to both to accept the responsibility that comes with power and autonomy. You can't desire power without the responsibility that comes with it. Peter Parker would still be crying in a bedroom somewhere and the story would have sucked, much like every victim narrative.

The women were at professional conferences and events associated with them. What are they meant to be held responsible for? Talking to other people in their profession while believing they should be safe from being treated as sexual objects? What hussies, believing that they should be accorded respect.

I bow to your shaming skills.

Was a crime committed? ...or does that matter? ...offense has been committed and the mob demands blood.

Are you implying that sexual harassment is not a crime? Because in the United States, where I am from and where A.A. also lives, it is. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

"It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted)."

So to answer your question, yes. A crime was committed.

Actually, there was no crime committed (in the strict definition of the law). Since Title VII does not provide for criminal punishment of the offense of harassment, it devolves to a matter for the Civil courts to adjudicate and resolve. Does harassment break the law? Yes. Can you call the cops and have someone arrested for harassment? No. Therefore, it is not a crime. Is it reprehensible for AA to have done this? Absolutely. Was it a crime? No.

I am not aware of the particulars in this case, but if the harassment went beyond the spoken word and involved physical contact without prior permission, then yes, AA committed a crime - but the crime is assault and not harassment.

PoundMeToo

I should have stopped reading here; this "joke" is so puerile that I don't know how I could have believed any discussion of value would be in this post.

I see it as a farce and the inevitable conclusion of worshiping celebrities. Assuming both parties are responsible adults of sound mind then it is up to both to accept the responsibility that comes with power and autonomy. You can't desire power without the responsibility that comes with it. Peter Parker would still be crying in a bedroom somewhere and the story would have sucked, much like every victim narrative.

The women were at professional conferences and events associated with them. What are they meant to be held responsible for? Talking to other people in their profession while believing they should be safe from being treated as sexual objects? What hussies, believing that they should be accorded respect.

Was a crime committed? ...or does that matter? ...offense has been committed and the mob demands blood.

Are you implying that sexual harassment is not a crime? Because in the United States, where I am from and where A.A. also lives, it is. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

"It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted)."

I'm probably going to regret this, but in the incidents that I saw described, the women were neither employees nor job applicants, so no crime was committed under the federal statute cited.

Some of the incidents involved physical contact, so there may have been crimes under the relevant state codes wherever the incidents took place.

Other incidents apparently involved really offensive verbal statements made in what were semi-social, networking/after-party situations in bars. Which sounds like a guy being a jerk. I don't have a problem with people who become aware that someone is a jerk saying they don't want to have anything to do with him, whether it's watching him speak or reading his research or whatever. But, as a woman, I do think that it just distracts from the really bad stuff that happens (physical assaults and harassment in situations in which your job or future employment or promotion is on the line) if we accord the same horror to a situation in which a woman remains sitting in a booth at a bar with a guy who's saying stuff she doesn't want to hear, texting her friends (in the next booth!) to get her out of an uncomfortable social situation because she can't bring yourself to say, "You're being offensive and I'm leaving," and then leave.

Maybe we need to put a little bit of our energy into overcoming the socialization that makes it difficult for a woman to say, "you're being offensive and I'm leaving" in a situation which involves little to no physical or professional risk. Yes, I know there's a real possibility he'll call her a *kitten* or a c**t, and that's no fun, and to get into her face while he's doing it. But there was a bar full of people, including her friends in the next booth, and staff and management of the bar that almost certainly is going to side with a woman being yelled at by the abusive drunk. If we can't stand up for ourselves in those circumstances, when can we?

It's not just the socialization that makes it difficult for women to say such things (although that certainly exists). There is the knowledge that saying such things to a very prominent person in your field may limit your career and networking opportunities. People like Aragon (and Louis C.K. and Harvey Weinstein and Les Moonves and Glen Thrush) have a power in this situation that includes, but goes beyond, women being socialized not to saying "You're being offensive and I'm leaving." Big men (and women) in an industry have the power to influence careers and not always for good.

Men can and do seek "payback" after being rejected by women and it doesn't always take the form of them clearly disclosing that they were rejected by them. Would Aragon have done that if he was clearly and firmly rejected? I don't know. But if I was in that situation, the thought would certainly occur to me.

Women do the same thing - it may not be as wide spread as men, but it does happen.

My post isn't, in any way, a claim that this hasn't ever happened.

In any case, this was addressing the multiple factors that might keep a woman from saying "You're being offensive and I'm leaving" in a situation like the ones that Alan Aragon repeatedly created. If we were talking about a prominent woman creating situations like this, I would listen to men (or women) who may have experienced it and try to learn to what might be concerns for them in that situation.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

PoundMeToo

I'm probably going to regret this, but in the incidents that I saw described, the women were neither employees nor job applicants, so no crime was committed under the federal statute cited.

Some of the incidents involved physical contact, so there may have been crimes under the relevant state codes wherever the incidents took place.

Other incidents apparently involved really offensive verbal statements made in what were semi-social, networking/after-party situations in bars. Which sounds like a guy being a jerk. I don't have a problem with people who become aware that someone is a jerk saying they don't want to have anything to do with him, whether it's watching him speak or reading his research or whatever. But, as a woman, I do think that it just distracts from the really bad stuff that happens (physical assaults and harassment in situations in which your job or future employment or promotion is on the line) if we accord the same horror to a situation in which a woman remains sitting in a booth at a bar with a guy who's saying stuff she doesn't want to hear, texting her friends (in the next booth!) to get her out of an uncomfortable social situation because she can't bring yourself to say, "You're being offensive and I'm leaving," and then leave.

Maybe we need to put a little bit of our energy into overcoming the socialization that makes it difficult for a woman to say, "you're being offensive and I'm leaving" in a situation which involves little to no physical or professional risk. Yes, I know there's a real possibility he'll call her a *kitten* or a c**t, and that's no fun, and to get into her face while he's doing it. But there was a bar full of people, including her friends in the next booth, and staff and management of the bar that almost certainly is going to side with a woman being yelled at by the abusive drunk. If we can't stand up for ourselves in those circumstances, when can we?

Reading the entire article, there were 2 event employees that came forward as being inappropriately touched. In this case, he was hired as the keynote speaker for the event. Under Federal Law, this is sexual harassment.

ETA: I would also like to add that many, if not all, of these women told him to back off. It stopped him for a second. If you imply that any time a woman is sexually harassed, she should leave, then women would never leave their house.

Hyperbole?

Unwanted sexual attention, sexualized comments, or unwanted contact is very frequent or relatively frequent for some women. It's happened to me in the workplace (more than one), in the grocery store, on city buses, on the sidewalk, at the park, a college classroom, a public swimming pool, and the homes of a couple of friends. Oh, and my own house.

Women can't "just leave" their own lives.

OK. That's a shame. I guess I don't have anything else to add to this conversation then.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    nevermind.

I need to listen to Herm Edwards - "DON'T PRESS SEND"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

PoundMeToo

Reading the entire article, there were 2 event employees that came forward as being inappropriately touched. In this case, he was hired as the keynote speaker for the event. Under Federal Law, this is sexual harassment.

ETA: I would also like to add that many, if not all, of these women told him to back off. It stopped him for a second. If you imply that any time a woman is sexually harassed, she should leave, then women would never leave their house.

Hyperbole?

Unwanted sexual attention, sexualized comments, or unwanted contact is very frequent or relatively frequent for some women. It's happened to me in the workplace (more than one), in the grocery store, on city buses, on the sidewalk, at the park, a college classroom, a public swimming pool, and the homes of a couple of friends. Oh, and my own house.

Women can't "just leave" their own lives.

OK. That's a shame. I guess I don't have anything else to add to this conversation then.

I think everyone who is participating in good faith (which is how I took your question) can add to the conversation. We just have different pieces of the "puzzle" and we should all be open to what we might not know.