Do people ever criticize the way you choose to eat?

Options

Replies

• sydlovesscience
    Options
    yes all the time, i consume relatively healthy foods and people question why all the time, or if i have something out of my norm then something must be wrong.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Biggest one, if you want to loose weight you need to eat breakfast... after loosing 16kg not eating it unless we go out for it on the weekend. Sigh. There will always be someone who knows best
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    I have always been harassed about drinking Diet Coke at the same time as eating junk food. It always goes, ‘I’ll never understand these people who drink low calorie soft drink and eat junk? Why bother drinking it?’ Well, because I’m addicted to it, Susan.

Why bother? Because a regular soft drink has something like 150-200 calories in it. If I drink a diet pop, that's 150-200 more calories of FOOD I can eat. How is that even hard to understand?

People who ask that question haven't really thought it through and should just keep their stupid pieholes shut until such time as they have.

Back in the day I was SO guilty of this - I almost never said it to the person, but I sure thought it and commented to my friends about it. Now I AM that person, because now that I spend more time on my butt behind a computer than anywhere else, those 200+calories can mean the difference between staying in my deficit or not!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Not really, but tired of telling people close to us that YES we still are on our diet, so no we can't have carbs. I get it though... we've quit so many other diets before but not this time.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    I have always been harassed about drinking Diet Coke at the same time as eating junk food. It always goes, ‘I’ll never understand these people who drink low calorie soft drink and eat junk? Why bother drinking it?’ Well, because I’m addicted to it, Susan.

Why bother? Because a regular soft drink has something like 150-200 calories in it. If I drink a diet pop, that's 150-200 more calories of FOOD I can eat. How is that even hard to understand?

People who ask that question haven't really thought it through and should just keep their stupid pieholes shut until such time as they have.

Back in the day I was SO guilty of this - I almost never said it to the person, but I sure thought it and commented to my friends about it. Now I AM that person, because now that I spend more time on my butt behind a computer than anywhere else, those 200+calories can mean the difference between staying in my deficit or not!

I usually point out that if they had low calorie junk food, I’d be all over that as well.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    yup: "they say that's too fattening" "you shouldn't be eating that" "oh, c'mon you can have a piece" "you can't eat like this the rest of your life", "you have to exercise" " you're carrying this too far"
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    yeah happens all the time
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    I started a M-F job in a doctor's office almost a year ago, so I started doing meal preps on Sundays, chicken and a veggie. I don't like to cook, so this is easy - slow cooker - and I don't have to think about it when I'm hitting the gym before work - just throw one and a few other goodies in my lunch bag and go. My coworkers, even now, are still fascinated by this and ask the dumbest questions. This, while they're going out every day and eating all fast food from local places. I'm not against fast food, but I know the calories and macros of what they're having just for lunch, would give me about 100 calories for the rest of the day, so no thanks. And it's expensive. I don't comment on their choices, so I'd love not to hear about mine.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yes, I don't eat pork, veal or lamb. My reasons are my own and I don't get up on a soapbox about it, but sometimes people will challenge me. They ask is it for health or moral reasons? Why do I eat chicken and turkey if I don't eat these other "meats". It's like they want to get into a debate about it. Why can't I eat what I want? So when I'm asked I now say "they just don't appeal to me" and change the subject.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I get told I shouldn't deconstruct my food i.e either eat veg, then potato the meat on a sunday dinner or that when eating a kit kat I shouldn't eat it sides first then de-layer it.

not so much types of food though. More just 'stop playing with your food'

There's another way to eat a kit kat? ;)

How about dividing m&ms by color, and then eating them down until every group has the same number, and then one at a time from worst to best color? Too much? (If only I still ate m&ms this way, maybe I never would have gotten fat... took a long time. :D )

Sorted by colour then eaten two at a time, one on each side, then try to match up the oddball left overs as best as possible. If there is one left over, bite it in half.

My CDO people... I don't feel sooo alone! Lol i also wanted to add, people at my work ask me why I eat sweet potatoes while trying to maintain a weight loss. I tell them they are good and about caloric density. I usually get a blank look while they eat their "healthy" energy bars. Then eat their lunch. When did the war begin on potatoes? I will have to keep my EYES on this.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Christ yes. At work people say I don’t eat enough. On MFP people say that I eat too much processed foods. Everyone has a *kitten* opinion.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I get told I shouldn't deconstruct my food i.e either eat veg, then potato the meat on a sunday dinner or that when eating a kit kat I shouldn't eat it sides first then de-layer it.

not so much types of food though. More just 'stop playing with your food'

There's another way to eat a kit kat? ;)

How about dividing m&ms by color, and then eating them down until every group has the same number, and then one at a time from worst to best color? Too much? (If only I still ate m&ms this way, maybe I never would have gotten fat... took a long time. :D )

Sorted by colour then eaten two at a time, one on each side, then try to match up the oddball left overs as best as possible. If there is one left over, bite it in half.

My CDO people... I don't feel sooo alone! Lol i also wanted to add, people at my work ask me why I eat sweet potatoes while trying to maintain a weight loss. I tell them they are good and about caloric density. I usually get a blank look while they eat their "healthy" energy bars. Then eat their lunch. When did the war begin on potatoes? I will have to keep my EYES on this.

It's better with these:

nestle-smarties-candies.jpg
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Yes. They say fruit or carbs or dairy are bad. I eat a ton of fruit and dairy, I feel great, and lose weight. So I will continue to eat what I like.