Looking for a good bodyweight program for recomp

Options
Hey guys, I recently decided to go on a recomp after losing nearly 40 pounds and now sitting at comfortable weight. Since I dislike gyms and would like to work out at home, I am looking at a bodyweight work out. The thing is, most of the ones I look at on this forum aren't really suited for beginners, and I need for beginners since I lost most of my muscle mass losing weight (didn't really do any strength training, only cardio). What would you recommend? I would even be open to buying some dumbells if that helped at all...
Thanks!

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Bodyweight programs tend to lack the stimulus for optimal muscle growth compared to weight lifting.

Bodyweight programs offer plenty of stimulus for muscle growth, especially for a beginner. The only issue is ensuring that progression takes place.

If OP said they were currently powerlifting, were part of the "1000 pound club" and wanted to start a bodyweight program, maybe there would be a valid concern regarding inadequate stimulus.

Agreed. Especially upper body. I don't think there is a limit to additional stimulus you can do with body weight for your upper body. Lower body...eh, once you can do pistol squats, I'd probably supplement with weights.

I looked at Convict Conditioning...it's OK, but I preferred You Are Your Own Gym. I just started Gymnastics Bodies Foundation series a few months back. You can start from the very beginning or test out of a progression and skip to the next. I was able to get through most of the progressions in about a month because I already had a good strength foundation, but if you are just starting out Foundation One will take about a year to complete. I think there is a Fundamentals course you can complete prior to that if you are starting from scratch.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    you are your own gym. there are a series of videos out now too.check those out. I did those while healing from an injury and I will say I saw some improvement with strength and how certain parts of my body looked and its only 3 days a week.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Bodyweight programs tend to lack the stimulus for optimal muscle growth compared to weight lifting.

Bodyweight programs offer plenty of stimulus for muscle growth, especially for a beginner. The only issue is ensuring that progression takes place.

If OP said they were currently powerlifting, were part of the "1000 pound club" and wanted to start a bodyweight program, maybe there would be a valid concern regarding inadequate stimulus.

Agreed. Especially upper body. I don't think there is a limit to additional stimulus you can do with body weight for your upper body. Lower body...eh, once you can do pistol squats, I'd probably supplement with weights.

I looked at Convict Conditioning...it's OK, but I preferred You Are Your Own Gym. I just started Gymnastics Bodies Foundation series a few months back. You can start from the very beginning or test out of a progression and skip to the next. I was able to get through most of the progressions in about a month because I already had a good strength foundation, but if you are just starting out Foundation One will take about a year to complete. I think there is a Fundamentals course you can complete prior to that if you are starting from scratch.

lol didnt see you post the YAYOG part before I posted lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I liked the Nerdfitness programme in the link above.

It is basic and uncomplicated. If you can't do a move as shown, use a simpler option, and make it your goal to complete the programme as written.

Once you are proficient, expand your horizons. :)

HasFit has some great beginner programmes using light weights, or household objects, that may start you on your way too.

Go at your own pace, but push yourself, and never be intimidated by someone being able to lift more, or do more push-ups.

Cheers, h.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Which one of these would be the most beginner friendly?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Have a look at them all and see what suits you the most.

I chose to do Nerdfitness because it was only 5-6 basic exercises. I didn't have the knowledge at the time to select exercises for a balanced routine on my own, and didn't want anything complicated.
    I followed it with a dumbbell routine, then moved on to a barbell routine.
    You could start simple, then once you are ready, choose something more challenging.

Remember, if you start s programme and decide it isn't for you, you can switch to something else at anytime.

Cheers, h.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    Which one of these would be the most beginner friendly?

I recommend going to the bodyweight subreddit and reading their info tab. They have a fantastic plan with progressions for a beginner bodyweight routine.