Vegetables as part of caloric intake?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has been belittling....

If 20 WW points = 1000 calories, then I would absolutely hope people were eating as many veggies as the wanted. That's quite low in the world of calorie counting (unless you're not working out).

Understanding how calories and nutrients work is quite confusing some times. Best of luck to you.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Dr. McDougall's plan (which I try to follow) is a starch based diet that includes vegetables and fruits and legumes. Starch foods like rice, potatoes, corn, yam, is considered a starch food because it gives you the energy you need to get on with your day. It is one of the best non meat ways to get your calories. The next tier are fruits. We must always include vegetables because we wouldn't get our nutrients otherwise. You can actually live on starchy foods and vegetables (look at my food diary, I have been doing so for a while) and lose weight while maintaining nutrition. If you are curious about the McDougall plan, google his name, his website has a free program in which you can read and follow up on.

Dr. Furhman is a fruits and vegetables doctor that doesn't rely on starchy foods, people lose a ton of weight because they are not receiving the energy (calories) due to a lack of starchy foods in the diet.

You can always mix the percentages of starchy foods with fruits, but both include vegetables for weight loss or weight maintenance.

Since I am lazy, I buy frozen bags of mixed vegetables (saves me time and food as it doesn't go to waste). Under McDougall, I can eat as much starch and vegetables as I want, without counting calories (and we know why, vegetables doesn't have hardly any calories and McDougall believes that our stomach will tell our brain when we are satiated). However, this is calorie restriction because you cannot eat all that starch and vegetables without you becoming full (your stomach becomes full really fast because he asks that you chew your food a lot before swallowing).
  • Fitladyboo
    Options
    To someone who has alot of weight to lose, I can see how counting vegetables calories is important but I only have a few pounds to lose and most of it will probably be taken care of with just plain old exercising. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because I'm looking pretty good.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Veggies are important!! You might find they arent as filling as the other options you were thinking of but they offer a varity of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients in general that your body needs.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    To someone who has alot of weight to lose, I can see how counting vegetables calories is important but I only have a few pounds to lose and most of it will probably be taken care of with just plain old exercising. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because I'm looking pretty good.

Good luck!
  • infamousmk
    Options

To someone who doesn't understand why counting vegetables in your daily calories might be important, I wish you all the best.
  • squeak1989
    Options
    The weight watchers thing of not counting your veggies really got to me. I'm vegan which means mass amounts of veggies and I did WW and calorie counted at the same time and every week someone would look over my points and tell me I wasn't eating enough because I'd be as much as half under my points value because all the veg was 0 points when I was getting in 1400cals a day. In the end everything has calories including veggies.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I would actually think that the closer you are to goal, the more important it is to get an accurate calorie count.

But if not counting veggie cals is still working for you, carry on.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is perhaps why sooooo many people have actually GAINED weight on Weight Watchers HORRIBLE new plan... all those "free fruits & vegetables!!!" Who do they think they are kidding???
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you've never measured it out, 100g is a LOT of spinach.

LOL I can only imagine how much spinach that is!

I log everything, including all fruits and veggies. My girlfriend is on Weight Watchers, and she says all fruit and veggies are 0 points. So you can have as much as you want...I would seriously be scarfing down some fruits and veggies!! :laugh:

I try to stick with lower calorie veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, squash, tomatoes. We do eat corn on the cob a lot, because it's soooo good this year. I steam everything, so cooking doesn't add any cals. A HUGE bowl of broccoli and mushrooms is less than 100 calories. I'll take that over a cup of rice any day. :)
  • sulugirl
    sulugirl Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't get why we have to count or vegetables in the food diary... I was planning on eating some vegetables with my dinner tonight but at 120 calories it seems I should maybe go ahead and subtitute with something that will sustain me more for about the same amount of calories, like maybe some couscous or a bit of rice. What do you all think, do you count your veggies as part of your calorie intake?

I sure do, I mix my regular calorie veggies with zero/negative calorie veggies. Then I'm not filling up on too much of a good thing.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I count everything... Veggies count too!
  • infamousmk
    Options
    But the "free fruits and veggies" on WW aren't really "all you can eat" ... that's "free" until you are satiated. But some folks don't eat only until they're satiated, and they don't eat the lower-calorie veggies. If people only ate (everything) until they were satisfied, there wouldn't be nearly the obesity problem we have today.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't get why we have to count or vegetables in the food diary... I was planning on eating some vegetables with my dinner tonight but at 120 calories it seems I should maybe go ahead and subtitute with something that will sustain me more for about the same amount of calories, like maybe some couscous or a bit of rice. What do you all think, do you count your veggies as part of your calorie intake?
    I think a little reading on nutrition would be helpful.

"it seems I should maybe go ahead and subtitute with something that will sustain me more for about the same amount of calories, like maybe some couscous or a bit of rice."

Rice and couscous take longer to digest than simple carbs (candy, for example) but they don't "sustain" you the way a high fiber vegetable will. Yes, they're both carbs but veggies take longer and have more vitamins, generally speaking, than something like rice. (Veggies are lower on the glycemic index - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index )

And you don't "have" to count veggies as part of your calories in the same way that you don't "have" to count anything for your calories but, if you don't, your nutritional and caloric info will be inaccurate.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Why wouldn't vegetables count as part of your caloric intake?

Anything you consume that contains calories counts.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Why wouldn't vegetables count as part of your caloric intake?

Anything you consume that contains calories counts.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I count veggies, but I'm not as strict about them - especially when it comes to leafy greens. And if I go over because I ate a ton of kale, I tend to feel okay about it.

By the way, I think complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat couscous are great. I stick to small portions (usually 1/4 cup cooked, no more than 1/2 cup), but they can really fill you up and keep you going. You can even find brown rice cakes.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I sure do, I mix my regular calorie veggies with zero/negative calorie veggies. Then I'm not filling up on too much of a good thing.

Brilliant!!! I never thought of that... I can toss some celery in with my veggies when I sautee them... I never thought of that. It would definately add some bulk!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

If you're using MFP, you need to count everything you eat. MFP is a calorie tracking tool, no matter what the source of calories.

Weight Watchers don't have you specifically count calories. They use points to encourage you to eat better so you won't eat too many calories (which is why fruits and veggies don't "count"). Again, it's not how MFP works. Count everything.

As far as eating veggies or other carbs at dinner, you may want to look at what macro/micro nutrients you've had today. Have you had 5 servings of veggies yet? If not, I'd pick the veggies. If you've had hardly any grains, perhaps rice will feel more satisfying. Either way, count it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Every ww point is 50 calories.. when I was alloted 20 ww points, I was eating 1000 calories a day but I could eat as many veggies as I wanted and those were not counted. I still lost 30 lbs even if I didn't count the veggies.
    No, you're missing the point, you were not eating 1,000 calories a day on that weightwatcher diet.

You were eating 1,000 calories a day PLUS a lot of vegetables.

Not counting them doesn't mean they're calorie free.

This site works by your counting everything, including vegetables, but allows more than a baseline 1,000 calories.