Burning calories lifting weights

Options

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    As accurately measuring calories spent lifting is incredibly difficult (weight, and distance moving the weight are major factors). I did a "best guess estimate" of what I thought I averaged on lifting days as leg day burns a lot more for me than upper body: I lift more weight with my legs than arms and the distance I move the weight is greater as well, therefore I used a guesstimate average. I started with 250 calories. Then I just monitored my expected weight loss. If I was losing faster than expected, I know I was undereatimating. Losing slower = overestimating. Turns out I was fairly accurate. So on lifting days I add 250 exercise calories to my day. As I'm doing more strength maintenance than trying to build (I'm eating at a 250cal/day deficit), I'm not trying to increase the weights.
  • belladamjc
    belladamjc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tried 'eating back exercise calories' using MFP's numbers and found my weight went up. Now I log the exercise (both cardio and strength) so I can note the changes over time, but I ignore them completely from a food perspective and my weight loss is steady but still short of target. I do try and hit my protein goal to limit muscle wastage in the process.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I usually use cardo-->circuit training.

But, it totally depends on how you lift weights. If you take significant breaks between sets (which is not necessarily bad), you will not burn many calories (although you may gain strength). If you are really pushing through the various lifts (such that you maintain an elevated heart rate) then you will burn some extra calories.

Also, my experience from years of lifting weights is that "afterburn" is a small effect.

Cardo activities are the calorie burners. And even medium-effort cardio burns significant calories if done for many hours.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Not many. That's not why you're lifting. You're lifting to preserve or build muscle.

If you enter it into MFP under cardio it will give you a guess.

Not many? I burn more calories on an intense leg day or doing volume deadlifts than by doing the same time of HIIT.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Not many. That's not why you're lifting. You're lifting to preserve or build muscle.

If you enter it into MFP under cardio it will give you a guess.

Not many? I burn more calories on an intense leg day or doing volume deadlifts than by doing the same time of HIIT.

And you are also not the average person working out in the gym...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    manolocort wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am lifting weights several times a day and my goal is to get a lean cut, but I can’t figure out how many calories I am burning. Any suggestions in how to keep track with this? It will really help me!

Is anyone going to pick up on the fact the OP said they are lifting several times a day?

OP - why are you lifting so often? You need to give your muscles time for recovery. You should not be lifting more than once a day and probably no more than 5 days a week (others with more experience may have better guidance).

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    manolocort wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am lifting weights several times a day and my goal is to get a lean cut, but I can’t figure out how many calories I am burning. Any suggestions in how to keep track with this? It will really help me!

Is anyone going to pick up on the fact the OP said they are lifting several times a day?

OP - why are you lifting so often? You need to give your muscles time for recovery. You should not be lifting more than once a day and probably no more than 5 days a week (others with more experience may have better guidance).

yep if you go back to the first page I asked why they were lifting several times a day.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great info!
  • parksgirl40
    parksgirl40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    clintonfry wrote: »
    This is an interesting question.

Also, what about "afterburn" caloric burn from weight training. Recovery burn from weights can last up to a full day after lifting.

Are there any tools or calculators to accurately account for that?

the after burn is not as long as you think. I know for me its only an hr or two after I lift or workout that my burns are higher but it eventually returns to normal a few hours later.so no its not a full day of afterburn. for example lifting I burn about 5-7 calories a min on average,

I continue burning them for 2-3 hrs after. then its usually the 2-4 I burn just moving around (depending on what Im doing). I tracked this for a month or so just to see if there were any truth to it and for me there isnt.maybe someone else who is more active through the day could keep the burn at a similar level. but once I slow down it slows down.

Curious to know how you know how much you are burning each hour?
  • elizabethkimborges
    Options
    apple watch :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Best way for any exercise is to buy a chest strap and monitor your heart rate and go off those calories burned. I just wear my chest strap and go.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Best way for any exercise is to buy a chest strap and monitor your heart rate and go off those calories burned. I just wear my chest strap and go.

still an estimated number and heart rate really doesnt have anything to do with calories burned. as for chest strap its only going to be more accurate(still and estimate) for steady state cardio. I have both a chest strap HR monitor and a fitness band. unless you have one that measures Vo2 max then all others will be more of an estimate and weight lifting doesnt burn a whole lot of calories per hr . heart rate isnt an indication of calories burned(many posts about that here if you do a search) I have a heart rhythm disorder and while walking at a slow pace my heart rate was jumping up to 150 or more which was almost triple my resting rate. I was not burning anymore calories because it was higher than any other time walking. I was walking the same speed as I always do. I wasnt working any harder than normal.
  • sephiroth66
    sephiroth66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To the OP-
    1. Don't lift weights 7 days a week...Pick a proven 3 or 4 day split and go from there. You can add 2-3 cardio sessions per week aside from your lifting if you feel so inclined. It's good for your heart, and can help build a larger deficit if you are trying to burn fat. Unless you are training for a endurance/marathon-type events it is counterproductive in most cases.

2. Tracking exercise calories is like trying to shoot a moving target. You're better off inputting your activity level, age, weight, etc. into a calculator and get a ballpark estimate of what you need. Be as consistent as possible for 2-3 weeks and then see where your weight goes. Gained more than you wanted? - eat less. Lost more than you wanted? - eat more. Maintained the same weight? - congratulations you just found your maintenance calories. + or - 500 calories depending on your goals will get you gaining or losing weight - adjust according.

IMO most of us make tracking far more complicated than it has to be. I am guilty of this as well. It all comes down to how much quantum mathematics you're willing to do to justify eating that Oreo staring at you on the counter..
    <_<

>_>
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jsong123 wrote: »
    Someone goes out on Saturday and does a 10 mile run. I agree that the body has to supply (say) 1,000 extra calories of energy to support that 10 mile run, but I am not educated as to where the body gets that energy. So then after the run, the runner goes to McDonalds and eats a quarter pounder with cheese and a large fries, which is 1.040 calories. According to MFP the runner has just broke even, and there should be no weight gain. But the food in the stomach still has to get digested, which is a different process than, as you say, "metabolising calories to perform exercise". It will balance out, but not the same day.

Who has the goal of making it balance out within the same day though? I mean, yeah . . . eating food will temporarily add to your body weight as your body physically processes the food. But gaining actual weight (in the form of fat or muscle) *is* determined by your day-in-day-out calories in versus calories out.

If you burn 1,040 calories, you've burnt them.