124»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Soooo many people coming into a success story like OP is trying to convert you. Can't yall just congratulate them, accept that all bodies have different chemistry with different foods? Lord.

Grats, OP! KEEP KICKING BUTT.

[edited by MFP Moderators]

OMG no, when keto is mentioned people must come into the thread, woo every post and say how they lost just fine on 300g of carbs every day. It's like an mfp compulsion for some.

Happy to hear OP, glad you found something that works for you!

It's not about losing just fine on 300g, it's about presenting an alternative to a diet that has reached fad status, keto or otherwise. Many people who read these threads are new and think just because it's popular it must be the only or the best way to lose weight. Taking it back to the basics is important. It's A way to lose weight, not THE way.

A new dieter who doesn't feel keto is sustainable would be relieved to hear that they don't have to do it. A new dieter who is still hungry or not experiencing the positives others experience has to know that they're not necessarily "doing it wrong", but that it's just not the diet for them.

This isn't a "CROSSIFY KETO" cry. I have absolutely nothing against keto. In fact, I would have lost while eating low carb because I was pre-diabetic, but it just wasn't for me so I decided to stop doing it and I lost just fine and corrected my blood sugar without it. It's a "you have options in a world that tries to tell you that you don't" cry, and the flavor of the day is not your only choice if it doesn't feel sustainable, keto or otherwise.

I'd also argue keto (or low fat, or Paleo, or whatever the flavor of the day is) should not be the default weight loss method for healthy people. It requires more attention to nutrition than a balanced diet, and no new dieter should have to worry about electrolytes. Understanding one's own preferences, tendencies, hunger, and habits is important. With that understanding, it's possible to start experimenting with diets and looking for new strategies to add to the arsenal for successful future maintenance and easy dieting experience. Keto may end up being what is easiest for someone, and that's great.

I don't disagree, but this is a thread of someone posting that they feel great on low carb and are happy with their progress and there are 14 woos. I mean come on, if that's not a 'let's *kitten* on another keto thread' I don't know what is.

Keto works great for some, and not at all for others. And you know what? That is totally cool. Let's just have each person choose their best approach.

We don't need the woo brigade on every keto thread because new dieters could read it. How about we give opinions to those who ask? Not people who just want to share that they feel good?

Everyone gets wood for all kinds of opinions (case in point, look at my post above). I wouldn't take it too close to heart. It's not really directed at those who are doing keto specifically. People are just woo happy sometimes when something doesn't fit what they like. Actual woo posts are obvious. The woo count is a simple prompt for a double take: if the post has info, check your info, if it has a personal experience or a subjective opinion, the woo count is irrelevant other than to say an opinion isn't popular, which means nothing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I think what is lost in all this low carb high carb mumbo, is protein intake. Protein in a low carb diet tends to be higher, not always, but usually. Many studies Show an increase in protein leads to people naturally eating less and being fuller. I personally do higher moderate carb. 40-45% with protein at 28-30. I would miss my fruits and veggies on low carb. I am a potato eater. I prefer red or sweet. Nothing wrong with russets, but to be they have no flavor l.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Soooo many people coming into a success story like OP is trying to convert you. Can't yall just congratulate them, accept that all bodies have different chemistry with different foods, and stop sh*tting on other people's parades? Lord.

Grats, OP! KEEP KICKING BUTT.

OMG no, when keto is mentioned people must come into the thread, woo every post and say how they lost just fine on 300g of carbs every day. It's like an mfp compulsion for some.

Happy to hear OP, glad you found something that works for you!

It's not about losing just fine on 300g, it's about presenting an alternative to a diet that has reached fad status, keto or otherwise. Many people who read these threads are new and think just because it's popular it must be the only or the best way to lose weight. Taking it back to the basics is important. It's A way to lose weight, not THE way.

A new dieter who doesn't feel keto is sustainable would be relieved to hear that they don't have to do it. A new dieter who is still hungry or not experiencing the positives others experience has to know that they're not necessarily "doing it wrong", but that it's just not the diet for them.

This isn't a "CROSSIFY KETO" cry. I have absolutely nothing against keto. In fact, I would have lost while eating low carb because I was pre-diabetic, but it just wasn't for me so I decided to stop doing it and I lost just fine and corrected my blood sugar without it. It's a "you have options in a world that tries to tell you that you don't" cry, and the flavor of the day is not your only choice if it doesn't feel sustainable, keto or otherwise.

I'd also argue keto (or low fat, or Paleo, or whatever the flavor of the day is) should not be the default weight loss method for healthy people. It requires more attention to nutrition than a balanced diet, and no new dieter should have to worry about electrolytes. Understanding one's own preferences, tendencies, hunger, and habits is important. With that understanding, it's possible to start experimenting with diets and looking for new strategies to add to the arsenal for successful future maintenance and easy dieting experience. Keto may end up being what is easiest for someone, and that's great.

I don't disagree, but this is a thread of someone posting that they feel great on low carb and are happy with their progress and there are 14 woos. I mean come on, if that's not a 'let's *kitten* on another keto thread' I don't know what is.

Keto works great for some, and not at all for others. And you know what? That is totally cool. Let's just have each person choose their best approach.

We don't need the woo brigade on every keto thread because new dieters could read it. How about we give opinions to those who ask? Not people who just want to share that they feel good?

They also got 30 likes and 8 inspiring. So it's not exactly like they were universally criticized. Some people will woo anything. I've had a posts of a link to a meta analysis woo'd and that was just straight up research.

Who cares really. The OP is happy with their choice and has gotten more support than criticism. Post on a public forum and you'll always get some.
This discussion has been closed.