Is there a "set weight" for people?

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I think that if there was a "set point" to weight, it would be a weight it was difficult to go over, too, not just under. I think the explanation is really simple - for most people, today, it's easy to eat too much, and it takes a conscious effort to eat less. Are you at a healthy weight? "Eat well, most of the time, don't drink, work out almost daily, stick to or under calories regularly" isn't good enough when it comes to weight management, because weight loss, gain and maintenance is all about calories over time. Your phrasing betrays your subconscious mind: "I weighed my cooked turkey last night...turned out I was going to eat too little" - are you looking to validate your assumption you're almost starving youself (to justify eating more)? If you're not nearing underweight, you're not almost starving yourself, it's all about perception and attitude, habits and preferences, which are part instinct, but also learned, to a large extent.

"Palm of hand", "fist", "hockey puck" etc as measurements for food portions is a pointless game without the proper context. Not because they're inaccurate measurements - nutrition for healthy adults doesn't require a high degree of precision - but because you would also have to remember how many servings of each food you're allowed for a day, and how many of each you've eaten, and the rules have to be learned and differentiated and memorized, and still, you have to stop when you've had enough, which is the real challenge.

In the context "I'm using a food scale", "serving size" is practically redundant.

No, I am not looking to validate starving myself. I am merely saying that I am having a difficult time reaching my goal weight as no matter what I seem to do, I stay around the same weight day in and day out. Do I use a food scale? No i do not, and when I have, just to see if I am on track, I find that my portions are actually lower than i thought they were. I measure my food and log according to MFP. I also do not eat back my exercise calories. I do not believe in "starvation mode" either. I asked a question...is a "set weight" something that exists. I read that it does. I am hearing here that it does not.

I don't know if there is a set point, and nobody else on this forum would know either. (even though some would claim they know)

What we DO know is that over 90% of dieters fail to either lose weight, or maintain their new weight . The failure rate is quite extraordinary, and that alone would suggest that the body will fight hard to get back to where you were before you began your weight loss journey.

But not because of THE set point though. The failure has more to do with not learning how to maintain their weight, they more likely went back their old habits.

Yes, it's not that the body *wants* to be 150 or 200 pounds (or whatever). It's that people are very prone to falling back into the habit of *eating* like a 150 or 200 pound person after they've lost weight.

It says more about the habits we have around consumption than it does about what our body "wants."

Precisely
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    To to clarify...

The is some confusion about what the term "set point" means/refers to. Some people use it when discussing the idea that there is some weight or body composition that we are pre-disposed to, be it genetic or evolutionary. Other people use it as OP did - when talking about difficulty managing weight, especially losing weight at or below a certain number.

From what I've read, there is merit to the first scenario. The body wants to be at a healthy body composition. Too much fat and/or too little muscle and the body will respond, and it will be easier to drop fat or add muscle. Similarly, too little fat or too much muscle is also not healthy (from an evolutionary/survival standpoint), and the body will also adjust. The important thing to note here is that it goes BOTH ways. It's not just about getting lighter/leaner, it also adapts, when necessary, making it easier to get heavier/fatter.

Scenario 2, there is no merit to that from a biological perspective. The validity in this conversation is related entirely to habits and behaviors. People have a way the like to eat. A little change to that is relatively easy. A big change is relatively hard. Same with exercise. Where those points intersect (diet and exercise) is where your weight will tend to hover. The more you want to shift your weight, the harder you'll have to work and the greater changes you'll need to make to your habits related to both eating and exercise.

I agree. There is a body of evidence that shows that the body gets "used" to a certain bf lvl and will fight to defend it. People just don't like to admit it.

I'm not sure why this got woos.
    I think that the Minnesota Starvation experiment and the recent similar experiment (can't remember the name) both showed that people experience extreme hunger not just until the weight was regained, but the body fat percentage.

I think that there was a recent discussion on the maintenance board about how the first year of maintenance is the most difficult due to the body's hormones trying to regain the lost weight. (both hunger and lethargy)

People regain the weight because they think that they are 'home free' once they reach the target weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say a "set point" but I think our bodies do start to fight it at a certain point of leanness (fatigue and hunger, less fidgeting, etc. in order to conserve energy) but it's not impossible. The leaner you get, the less calories you have to work with and the harder it can be to lose.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you all. You have all been very helpful!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say a "set point" but I think our bodies do start to fight it at a certain point of leanness (fatigue and hunger, less fidgeting, etc. in order to conserve energy) but it's not impossible. The leaner you get, the less calories you have to work with and the harder it can be to lose.

Yes, it's not impossible. But I think the (shall I say) 'set point' is a lifestyle set point, not really a leanness set point.

In other words, I exercise a certain amount per week, and am happily fed at a certain calorie range. This puts my body at a certain weight.

I certainly can lose weight, but it means I have to exert myself to either exercise more, or eat less (less that I want to), or both. Once I get to that weight, it may mean the maintenance calories are less than I am comfortable with, and so I slowly regain to my 'comfort' set point.

I think that's a reasonable way of looking at it. Here's a good article which goes into much greater detail about what you're saying there (ignore their sales pitch at the end): https://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

Yes, it's not impossible. But I think the (shall I say) 'set point' is a lifestyle set point, not really a leanness set point.

In other words, I exercise a certain amount per week, and am happily fed at a certain calorie range. This puts my body at a certain weight.

I certainly can lose weight, but it means I have to exert myself to either exercise more, or eat less (less that I want to), or both. Once I get to that weight, it may mean the maintenance calories are less than I am comfortable with, and so I slowly regain to my 'comfort' set point.

I like this answer,I've always hovered around 140 I'm female 5'6 and I've been around this weight since my teenage years so I assume it's where my body feels comfortable at,I've been heavier during pregnancy and while on a medication,I've been lower but it requires a lot of strict dieting and exercise,maybe it's just my "comfort zone" weight
    Comfort zone weight. I like that. It sounds a bit like "healthy weight", but also the weight you get when you get "too comfortable". But your comfort zone can change when you step out of it, so this is something you can control, instead of a set point, which sounds kinda cemented.

I think it's about the attitudes and habits we aquire through our lives. Our bodies are all subject to the same physical laws.