losing weight over 50

Options
Cissy92
Cissy92 Posts: 63 Member
im bout to turn 50, an wanting suggestions an tips for losing weight an gaining lean muscle.. both NUTRITION an EXERCISE TPIS please!!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cissy92 wrote: »
    im bout to turn 50, an wanting suggestions an tips for losing weight an gaining lean muscle.. both NUTRITION an EXERCISE TPIS please!!
    The basics are the same at any age:
    • A sustained, but I would suggest moderate, calorie deficit to lose weight.
    • An effective lifting routine.

The biggest difference is that more patience is required when you are older, muscle growth and recovery from exercise are slower.
    For me one of the biggest factors in improving my fitness, strength and body composition was avoiding aggravating my extensive collection of old injuries - healing is definitely slower as we age. Train smart and not just hard.

My main tip (as opposed to general advice) is to make the process as enjoyable as possible - don't make your exercise a chore or your meal times a bore.

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    50 year old here as well. Are you looking to get into weights, cardio or both? I love switching it up. Down from 214 to 155 since Jauary28th of this year.
    Be kind and patient with yourself and make sure you log daily.
  • ewhall46
    ewhall46 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lots of good replies from everyone above. Soaking it in. Thanks! :)
  • Cissy92
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Turn 60 in 3 months. In maintenance almost 7 months after losing 68 pounds and in better shape than I have been in decades. I didn't do anything different because of my age except some physical issues excluded a few choices from activities. Even that can happen at any age.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Cissy92 wrote: »

I am 52 and as many on hear say Calories in and Calories out. If you dont have a food scale get one. Measure everything and log it. Input your info and follow the calorie goals. If you just starting to workout go slow and work up to it. It works for me and I am still a work in progress.
  • Cissy92
    Options
    50 year old here as well. Are you looking to get into weights, cardio or both? I love switching it up. Down from 214 to 155 since Jauary28th of this year.
    Be kind and patient with yourself and make sure you log daily.

im looking to do both cardio an weights