Options

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »
    Anikib wrote: »
    My HDL went up from 225 to 258 and my LDL went from 156 to 188. My Dr said at 190, they put you on medication. That’s the last thinking I want is to be on medication. High cholesterol runs on both sides of my family.

How was your HDL this high? That seems astronomical for this particular type of lipoprotein.

I'm guessing they meant total cholesterol went to 258 and LDL to 188, that would make HDL 70, which would make more sense.

Fair enough
  • julubeet
    julubeet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    julubeet wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my RD at mayo clinic stated very bluntly that KETO is a therapeutic diet only for use in the most extreme circumstances. It definitely can shoot up cholesterol, especially if your genetics are not in your favor. I went on it for a month and my cholesterol was through the roof. Her answer and what worked for me was to eat the rainbow! The classic diet of whole grains, tons of fiber, tons of fruits and veggies was spot on. She also mentioned looking into the Nordic or Mediterranean ways of eating as they are some of the healthiest diets in the world. Don't do a fad diet, it will only bite you in the *kitten* (and the arteries).

Absolutely. Your opinion is worth it. When rigid eating rules your life, get ready for the food explosion that may sneak up on you out of the blue. Might be a year or two down the road but rigid eating, eliminating food groups for months or years can cause a course correction that will not be denied. The brain kicks into overdrive because those old neural pathways don't really die. They just go dormant until you fall asleep at the wheel. If it wasn't true, there would be no such thing as eating it all back with rebound weight gain.

This may be true for some people but there are folks on these boards who have successfully maintained on low-carb/keto for upwards of 5 years or more.

I like Carlos' way of thinking and eating. There are many debate threads for keto advocates but I'm over it. I like the new members opinions, too. Very much so.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My HDL went up from 225 to 258 and my LDL went from 156 to 188. My Dr said at 190, they put you on medication. That’s the last thinking I want is to be on medication. High cholesterol runs on both sides of my family.

How was your HDL this high? That seems astronomical for this particular type of lipoprotein.

I'm guessing they meant total cholesterol went to 258 and LDL to 188, that would make HDL 70, which would make more sense.

I think the triglyceride number is also included in the total cholesterol number, along with LDL and HDL, which would mean that HDL is probably not as high as 70.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

I’m sorry, you’re right, that was my total cholesterol, not my HDL. Diet is very irritating to me because when I was younger I could eat anything. Everyone here has been amazing and I think that going the traditional way of eating is the better way of eating for me after all.

More fruits and veggies, less red meat, less fats, more legumes, everything in moderation ❤️

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If in doubt then you can always see a registered dietician for some sound advice. Good luck with reducing your cholesterol.
  • SusannO
    SusannO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @Anikib LDL is not a blood measurement, but rather a calculation. If your triglycerides dropped, then your LDL will go up. There has been some research into this for folks eating low carb. The few studies I've seen showed all cholesterol measurements went up, except triglycerides, in the 6 month window and then progressed downward. I have been doing keto for 5 months and just had my cholesterol checked. My triglycerides dropped 30% and my husband's went down 40%, but our LDL went up (as expected with the markedly lower trig). Here's the formula for LDL level:
    LDL cholesterol =
    [Total cholesterol]/1.19 +TG/1.9 – [HDL cholesterol]/1.1 – 38

It's good to have it monitored by docs and I plan to have mine rechecked in another 6 months to year to look at how it's progressing.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

I’m sorry, you’re right, that was my total cholesterol, not my HDL. Diet is very irritating to me because when I was younger I could eat anything. Everyone here has been amazing and I think that going the traditional way of eating is the better way of eating for me after all.

More fruits and veggies, less red meat, less fats, more legumes, everything in moderation ❤️

^^sounds good to me :)