5'4-5'5 women what are your maintenance calories?

Hi ya'll ,
I know everyone is different but i'm curious what other 5'4 women's maintenance calories are. I'm new to maintenance (5'4, 118 lbs) and struggling on 1600 calories a day; i'm still losing! I thought 1600 + eating back all of my exercise calories would have been pretty close, but I guess i'm a busy body and never sit still so i'm continuing to increase calories. Would love to hear from you if you are around the same height/weight, how many calories a day do you need? Are you a busy person? And what kind of exercise do you do?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm 5'3 and around 125 pounds, not very active, just walk, dance and play sometimes, and maintain on around 1900-2000, so no wonder you're losing weight. Aren't you hungry?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I'm 5'3 and around 125 pounds, not very active, just walk, dance and play sometimes, and maintain on around 1900-2000, so no wonder you're losing weight. Aren't you hungry?

Oh wow that's eye opening. Nope not hungry at all, could be because it's so darn hot outside the heat always curbs my appetite.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    While I am not in maintenance yet, my maintenance calories appear to be in the 1700-1800 range without exercise calories at 5'4" and around 147 lbs. I work a desk job though, so not a lot of moving around during the day. At what rate are you still losing weight?
  • FL_Hiker
    While I am not in maintenance yet, my maintenance calories appear to be in the 1700-1800 range without exercise calories at 5'4" and around 147 lbs. I work a desk job though, so not a lot of moving around during the day. At what rate are you still losing weight?

It's hard to tell since I've had a lot of fluctuations but they've all been downward trending. My goal was 120, but I haven't had any days above that and started maintaince 3 weeks ago. I've been 116 for several days but today went up to 118. So somewhere around a pound a week? Maybe I need to just give it more time to see a trend?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    somewhere in the 2500-2700 range - using a TDEE estimate - i'm pretty consistent with weight right now, but that will likely change when i start running more; i also average 8-12k steps a day
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

It's hard to tell since I've had a lot of fluctuations but they've all been downward trending. My goal was 120, but I haven't had any days above that and started maintaince 3 weeks ago. I've been 116 for several days but today went up to 118. So somewhere around a pound a week? Maybe I need to just give it more time to see a trend?

Usually the advice is to give it 6-8 weeks. I do think you need to give it more time. How did you come to 1600 for maintenance? Is that what MFP gave you?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Usually the advice is to give it 6-8 weeks. I do think you need to give it more time. How did you come to 1600 for maintenance? Is that what MFP gave you?

Yes, i set it as sedentary and figured I would just eat back my exercise calories which I calculate separately.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Probably 1700 if I stay sedentary... that was for 5'4.5", 150lbs, 39yo. It's hard to tell though, it's hard for me to lose, but I don't gain as much as I should considering my numbers either. Very confusing.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    I'm 43y/o, 5'4" and currently 130lbs +/- 2lbs. Maintenance is ~1550cals for me and I'm reliable for ~250cals of exercise per day over and above that. I'm not terribly active although I am on my feet all day at work and walk the dog 7kms/day pretty much no matter what (she's bonkers without her walks). I also normally do crossfit and yoga weekday mornings but I'm dealing with a knee injury that has sidelined me for the moment.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I typically eat around 2200-2600 depending on exercise level. I burn anywhere from 300-600 a day through exercise so my sedentary level comes to about 1800-2000. My BMI is around 18.5-19.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    My maintenance range is around 1,800 when I'm in the 120s/130s, to 2,000-2,100 when I'm in the 150s/160s. I'm around 5'5 as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    I'm 5"3.5", 50 years old and maintaining ~119 on ~2100 calories per day. It took me quite a while to figure out maintenance. I was expecting to maintain around 1600-1700 but that was too low for me and I just kept slowly losing. I run 4 days a week for ~20-22 miles per week and do yoga weekday mornings. I was surprised at how much more calories I needed.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I'm 52, 5'4", ~120ish and I maintain on a tdee of ~2200. I don't track diligently anymore so it's hard to say, but around there. I run 3-4 days per week and lift 2-4 days per week depending on my race schedule.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Oh jeez I don’t even count calories anymore- though I know I should cause I’ve got chub creeping up. (Idk I kinda like it?) my Fitbit claims I burn 1800-2700 calories a day (HRM is always on) so I try to aim for what I know puts me at at least 2k
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm jealous! My maintenance was supposed to be around 1500 but I gain on that. I'm 5'5" tall, 145 lbs and 62 years old. I maintain on around 1300 to 1350. I'm pretty sedentary other than 8 - 10K steps per day. If you are losing then you are fortunate and can adjust up. No need to go hungry.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Try 1800+exercise calories. I'm a similar size and my doctor told me to eat at least 1800.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 579 Member
    I'm 5'4" and ~109 lbs. I use TDEE and maintain at 1875 calories. I workout 6 days/week with 5 days being weight/strength training based and one day being cardio oriented. I also get in 10k steps per day (cardio/exercising is included in that). If you're still losing weight, then you could try to keep adding 50-100 calories/day each week until your weight stabilizes at where you're looking to maintain.