Suggestions? Beginner work out for weight loss and toning

Options
Anyone have a beginner work out for weight loss and tone? I'd like to have a routine so I can walk in the gym, do a work out and get going. I don't have a lot of time. I always wind up walking around looking lost.

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts, Starting Strength or Strong curves (I think that's the Brett C one?). Do a bit of cardio after, keep with your caloric deficit, and bam! a year later you'll have that toned body you're looking for.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Whitney Simmons on YouTube and IG has very easy workouts all written out and demonstrated for free. You could copy one of hers for each day to start.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts, Starting Strength or Strong curves (I think that's the Brett C one?). Do a bit of cardio after, keep with your caloric deficit, and bam! a year later you'll have that toned body you're looking for.

X2 what Katie said- pick one of those programs & follow it + 1 gm of protein per lb & 40-50 gm of fat , some carbs & eat your veggies
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Those three routines are decent places for beginners to start and are all mainly barbell focused, which may be a departure from previous or current routines (taking a wild guess based on your initial post). Getting your diet in check and staying consistently in a deficit will have the biggest effect on weight loss, regardless of what workout program you're doing. Given your comment about not having a lot of time, you'll get the most bang for your exercise buck by focusing on lifting to grow the muscles requisite to the look you want to achieve, then manipulate your diet to manufacture your calorie deficit in lieu of cardio for fat loss.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Those three routines are decent places for beginners to start and are all mainly barbell focused, which may be a departure from previous or current routines (taking a wild guess based on your initial post). Getting your diet in check and staying consistently in a deficit will have the biggest effect on weight loss, regardless of what workout program you're doing. Given your comment about not having a lot of time, you'll get the most bang for your exercise buck by focusing on lifting to grow the muscles requisite to the look you want to achieve, then manipulate your diet to manufacture your calorie deficit in lieu of cardio for fat loss.

These were my thoughts as well. I will have to learn some good barbell moves. Things like that.
  • climberbry
    climberbry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I second Bret Contreras. Anything of his is top notch. Also, I HIGHLY recommend Tom Venuto and Michael Matthews. They both have handy Audible versions. Michael has a book specifically for women, too.