Starting Orlistat today - how many g of fat and any other advice

124»

Replies

• Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

wow interesting read, and yes on top of increasing my exercise dramatically, and a defecit i have also had a stressful year. cortisol and metabolism rate could be a factor. this certainly could explain why weight loss is not as simple for me as it was when i had low activity and looking back low stress levels too. thank you for that interesting article.

Diet break as per Toad's recommendation (eating at maintenance for at least two weeks), then start again with a smaller deficit. People don't realise just what an impact chronically high cortisol levels can have, both in terms of fluid retention and in messing up fat loss.

i have also read that poor sleep effects cortisol, which i could improve, i am always often tired, i easily fall asleep around 4pm each day, another reason i got tested for any thyroid problems, other symptoms such as dry hair and skin, cold, etc could i imagine also be an effect of too much cortisol maybe that would make sense.

i will have a break for two weeks and then reduce my defecit.

• Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    In your original post the think that struck me was "chocolate bar". Yes I know we can all eat everything that we want to maintain our deficit but day one and a chocolate bar? For me, nope. I have to have at least a few days of no chocolate snacks (I do have others instead). It was 15g of fat that you could have done without on a plan that has notorious outfit destroying side effects.

Just my opinion though.

I came home from work, where i walked 7 miles, i had not eaten since 8am it was 3:30pm, my mum had collected my son from school and popped into the shop and had bought me a chocolate bar, so yes on day one i ate one, i was also a little curious as to what would happen, and seeing as i was at home i thought i’d try it in a safe environment! :) so hopefully that makes sense now!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    So, to recap:
    1. You’re not going to take the Orlistat;
    2. You’ve recalculated/reset your goals and are going to eat more;
    3. You’ve figured out that cortisol/stress/metabolism issues were preventing you from losing weight.

You don’t mention that you’re going to start weighing and logging, but I assume you are. Otherwise how will you know if you’re meeting your new calorie goal?

I’m happy you’ve resolved the issue and sincerely wish you luck.
  • PrincessVamp666
    PrincessVamp666 Posts: 1,176 Member
    I'll be honest I used this around 14 years ago and it was vile.

My advice - eat and cook with as little fat/grease as possible. It isn't sustainable in the long term as you need a certain amount of fat for a healthy diet.

Any medication that has ANAL SEEPAGE as a VERY COMMON side effect should be banned in my opinion. I hated it, last around 4 weeks and gave up!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Sounds like you're on the right track now but just wanted to reinforce the refeed/diet break idea. I got stuck for 3 months and found a week at maintenance calories got me going again. I gained a couple pounds that week but they came right back off. Also watch the calorie burn from the Fitbit. Some folks have said it over estimates. It sounds like you are doing lots of exercise but I'd just be cautious until you find your sweet spot. Good luck my friend it can happen for you and it's worth going slow and taking it off in a way that you can keep it off.
  • GFC781
    GFC781 Posts: 17 Member
    Li5a87MFP, I've taken Alli on and off for years, when I do take them at most was one a day, often every other day, one every few days. they help move poo along regularly.. My experience when dieting, if I'm not going, I'm not loosing. I know the directions say one with each meal that sounds crazy and like many have said can lead to disaster. My advice start by one every other day, then everyday, none on the day you finish off a half jar of peanut butter, 2lbs of bacon, rack of ribs ect.