Have you traveled to Mexico for dental work in the past 5 years?

mkculs
mkculs Posts: 316 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. I'm considering going to Mexico for the dental work I need done. My teeth are pretty awful and affect what I can and cannot eat. I've done a thread search and the only one on this topic is from 2013, and I am pretty sure people know more about dental tourism now. So if you have an experience to share, please do! TIA.

Replies

• mkculs
    edited September 2018
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well I live in Mexico. So, yeah.

Any experiences to share?

I'm sure lots of local people have great and not so great experiences to share (I have 'em too, for dental care in the US). It's hard for a person to find reputable practitioners in foreign countries--it's hard enough to find them in your own country! I wouldn't just randomly pick an American dentist and I ask friends for referrals, read reviews online, etc.

I think the primary difference for dental tourists and people who live in the country seems to be that practices catering to tourists understand the patient cannot visit 1x/week or every few weeks to complete a single procedure--so more is available to complete the work in relatively short time frame. I've heard from others living in Mexico that their treatment is more like what I experience in the US--multiple appointments for a single procedure. I'm not knocking that; I'm just looking for feedback on clinics or dental practices that provide treatment over the course of a week. I know some procedures require waiting periods (implants, for example), so I'm not talking about those procedures.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2018
    Nothing special. Just like anywhere, you have to find a competant one. Their offices are not like hotel lobbies like in the U.S. but they are generally well trained and far less expensive.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I live 5 minutes from the US/Mexico boarder. So, yes! Never had any issues. Most of the dental offices also speak English if you're Spanish isn't great as well.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'm intrigued...what kind of dental work?
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Yes, you can find affordable dental work in mexico but you need to ask for a good dentist.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    Don't know about Mexico, but I can recommend my dentist in Thailand. She's excellent and it's way cheaper (including airfare and hotels) to get the work done there than here in the states...(and a better job I think)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I don't have any answers but my 83 y/o father in law has informed us that he is going to Mexico for his dental work. He apparently needs 9 crowns and does not want to pay the prices here. Other than that, I don't know a lot about where he's going or what he has researched.
  • mkculs
    crisma1974 wrote: »
    Yes, you can find affordable dental work in mexico but you need to ask for a good dentist.

Yes, that’s why I’m asking. I hope to get a good referral from someone who has gotten work done there.

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    I have a friend who did many trips to Mexico for dental work and wsa pleased as punch with the work.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    mkculs wrote: »
    crisma1974 wrote: »

Yes, that’s why I’m asking. I hope to get a good referral from someone who has gotten work done there.

You are going on an internet forum for a dental referral?

I think the OP maybe more had in mind someone providing a link to some site like "mexican_dental_tourism_reviews.com" or maybe even "MexiYelp."

(Neither of the above are real sites.)
    ((AFAIK, anyway))
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    It's a bit of a strange world when it's cheaper to fly to another country (or even continent in the case of Thailand) to get dental work done.

We've been on holiday to Mexico several times and I was always surprised by the number of American tourists stocking up in the pharmacies with large amounts of medicines.

It makes me appreciate that I never have to worry about the cost of going to see a doctor, dentists, physio or whoever should I need to.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    My parents winter near the border and same all their dental work for then. They've had crowns and root canals and general cleanings with no issues.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I think the OP maybe more had in mind someone providing a link to some site like "mexican_dental_tourism_reviews.com" or maybe even "MexiYelp."

(Neither of the above are real sites.)
    ((AFAIK, anyway))
    Regular ol' Yelp works.

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Doh! Of course it does! (What me, chauvinistic American?)
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    I have two family members who have had great success there; but, don't know name of dentist facility; maybe, do a 'google complaint search ' when you decide a dental facility to see reviews. I considered it also; as I had $5000. in a dental front bridge; and decide it would take 3 appointments, plus consult. You may have to go to a totally different dentist when you come back; because he will know you had other work done somewhere else. I couldn't justify 3 or 4 trips by plane to mexico for a major bridge work done. so, weigh the cost of how often you may have to go for work.
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    I just got back from having my second stage of an implant done. What would be 7000 here is 2000 there. I have absolutely no complaints and neither does my US dentist. Check around on trip advisor. I spend a month in Playa del Carmen every year, so that's where I had mine done. From dental chair, to beach. Can't beat it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    No. I have Care Credit, a credit card for dental expenses. They let you pay it out.