I am constipated and have no clue as to why

Options

Replies

• PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For me, when prune juice doesn’t do the trick I use milk of magnesia. My doctor recommended it to me and it usually does the trick.
    Good luck, I’ve been there and it sucks.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sugar free candy ;)

Haribo gummi bears, specifically?

Well any type actually. Most sugar free candy has sugar alcohols in them.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and used all the solutions mentioned here. My solution has been a daily magnesium supplement (as per doctor recommendation). I still have issues once in awhile, typically if I get dehydrated a bit from exercise, but not like before. My husband doesn't eat much of the stuff that he should (fruit, veggies, etc) and poops like a goose, doesn't seem fair to me. :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    That fiber one bran cereal (the plain one, it has 28 g of fiber in one cup) did the trick for me. Plus lots of water.

Interestingly, my constipation issues basically disappeared when I got pregnant and I haven't had the issue since. Normally pregnancy causes constipation so that was odd.
  • PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed? Are you getting enough sleep?

I got those covered:)
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    Sugar free candy ;)

Haribo gummi bears, specifically?

Well any type actually. Most sugar free candy has sugar alcohols in them.

Oh yes I heard about sorbitol and such
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You haven't answered yet: how much do you weigh and how many grams of fat do you eat per day?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Timing could be important! I went to the Dr for a similar reason, she suggested a fiber supplement which has both types. With fruits and veggies it is hard to tell what fiber you are low on.

But more importantly, when are you eating your probiotic food? If I skip eating yogurt as the first thing in the morning i'll be constipated. But 2-5 oz of yogurt is all it takes.

I eat yogurt for lunch every day but somehow that doesn't help at all. It has to be yogurt+benefiber (im trying to wean off benefiber since it is expensieve) in the morning.

I also got in the habit of drinking lots of fluids as soon as I wake up.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »
    From your post, it isn't clear whether you added an egg to your usual daily routine, or you ate an egg once and expected that to make you suddenly feel more regular. Since your diary isn't open, I can't see what your fat/protein/fiber ratios are. However, for me, if I don't keep my fiber, fat, and protein somewhat balanced (I aim for exceeding my protein goals, while still hitting my fiber goals and then fill in the rest with fats), I can have all sorts of bowel issues from one end of the spectrum to the other (thanks, IBS). Another thing that helps me TREMENDOUSLY with regularity is exercise. Even taking a walk can help sometimes.

How do you open your diary

I didn't see anyone answer this. Go to Settings > Diary Settings > and then choose Public.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Also to add into my post, does intermittent or things like the one meal a day diet or fasting In general cause constipation? My aunt was face timing me and mentioned that if I skip breakfast my digestive system or system wouldnt run as well

I can't see this being an issue. I've used Intermittent Fasting off and on and never noticed a change in my digestion. Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    You haven't answered yet: how much do you weigh and how many grams of fat do you eat per day?

154-158 and since I'm constipated sometimes 162ish. I usually weigh 152 and I eat about 40g fats
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    Timing could be important! I went to the Dr for a similar reason, she suggested a fiber supplement which has both types. With fruits and veggies it is hard to tell what fiber you are low on.

But more importantly, when are you eating your probiotic food? If I skip eating yogurt as the first thing in the morning i'll be constipated. But 2-5 oz of yogurt is all it takes.

I eat yogurt for lunch every day but somehow that doesn't help at all. It has to be yogurt+benefiber (im trying to wean off benefiber since it is expensieve) in the morning.

I also got in the habit of drinking lots of fluids as soon as I wake up.

I cant stand the taste of greek yogurt plain. What do you eat?
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Magnesium supplement at night before bed and a cup of coffee in the morning works for me... but everyone is different.

Also @Rocknut53 Preach!!

Edited to add: I do eat about 30-35g fiber every day, and a decent amount of fats varying from day to day. So it's not like I'm relying on just the above-mentioned things.