Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

An insurance company wants you to hand over your Fitbit data so it can make more money. Should you?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Saw this in in the Washington Post today, and thought it would be appreciated here. (Given another thread on the front page, I'll repeat that this is the Washington Post not the Huffington Post.)

Life insurance company John Hancock made a splash last week with the news that soon all its policies would come bundled with the option to let the company track your fitness — via either a website and app, or through the use of a fitness tracker like an Apple Watch or Fitbit.

The move underscores how fitness tracker data is an as-yet largely untapped gold mine for businesses — particularly in industries like insurance, whose financial bottom line directly depends on the health of their customers. John Hancock isn’t particularly shy about this: “The longer people live, the more money we make,” as the company’s CEO, Brooks Tingle, put it to the New York Times.

The published research on Fitbits and similar devices, however, has yet to uncover a clear link between fitness tracking and fitness, to say nothing of longevity and mortality, or of insurance companies' profits. But there is some solid evidence that if the use of the devices is paired with incentives like rewards, challenges and leaderboards (“gamified,” in social science parlance) people can see real health benefits. It’s probably no accident, then, that the John Hancock policies lean heavily on those kinds of incentives.

The big question: Will potential insurance customers buy it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/09/25/an-insurance-company-wants-you-hand-over-your-fitbit-data-so-they-can-make-more-money-should-you/

Replies

• PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I average 12-15k steps a day, so if a company was willing to incentivize what I'm doing anyway, I'd probably be happy.

On the other hand, I allowed Liberty Mutual to track my driving and I regret it. They gave a small discount just for signing up, so no downside yet; but based on my results, I wouldn't be surprised if they did penalize me at some point.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Only if there was no negative - i.e., they could not charge more for the people who were not 'active enough' to meet their criteria. It would have to be bonuses paid out or fitness activities/lifestyle.

If you get a bonus by having a fitbit, then it DOES cost more if you don't track or aren't active enough. Call that a base rate if you want, it's still costs that person more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    This is LIFE INSURANCE.

They already require all kinds of health screens before they underwrite you and you can be cancelled. I can see where health insurance companies might get pushback against this, but life insurance? Meh.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I just spent two days at an insurance industry conference that in part dealt with exactly this.

The sad reality is that they probably already HAVE most of your data. The actual benefits to the company of you allowing a device to track your driving or fitness is that you are more likely to actually modify your behavior for the better if you know someone is actively watching you.

=Hawthorne Effect

My health insurance actually does include activity/fitbit tracking as a part of a "wellness" program incentive to get a yearly discount; however, it is not mandatory nor is there any goal to meet (they want data (voluntary) but no objective measures like cholesterol, BP, weight/BMI, smoking status to hit). Seems plausible in the future to include such incentive into getting a discount

I just think it's BS I have to waste my time & other Healthcare workers' time documenting & filling out paper work so I don't need to pay as much money (questionable whether this "discount" is really just an add on as overall cost)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My insurance company offers this. Both my spouse and I can earn up to $3/day for hitting certain step goals. $1 for walking 500 steps in 5min 6x/day, $1 for walking 3k steps in 30min, and $1 for walking 10k overall steps per day. The $6/day goes towards our HSA.

It's no incentive for my husband. He refuses to wear a step tracker, so I wear two. I'm already pretty active, so it doesn't really change my habits. In fact, it pisses me off because I can have a 2hr gym session and only earn a few steps because I mainly lift and row for cardio. I have to strap it to my ankle when biking. The only thing it encourages me is to do the 30min of higher intensity cardio per day which I get in via playing a virtual reality game most nights. I wish they tracked other things than just steps.

So you're wearing trackers for both you and your spouse to earn 2 bonuses?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yeah. He actually does do enough walking to meet the goals, but won’t wear it because it’s not “fashionable “. :/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I get fewer steps than a lot of you most days, I'm a cyclist. I rode 15 hilly miles today, and do anywhere from 75 to 100 miles in a week. But those aren't steps.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I get fewer steps than a lot of you most days, I'm a cyclist. I rode 15 hilly miles today, and do anywhere from 75 to 100 miles in a week. But those aren't steps.

This is the part that bugs me. I'm lifting weights because I think I should, and not because I enjoy it. So I wouldn't get "points" for that?

I do get what they are trying to do, but it really is more about getting sedentary people to move than to reward those actually already doing activities.