I am constipated and have no clue as to why

Options

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I also take a regular magnesium supplement (500 mg magnesium citrate). If you use it start small and work up or you may get diarrhea. I tried probiotics, fibre etc, no help. Sugar free Wintergreen lifesavers also help, lol. They're full of sorbitol.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My friends a mathamatition and when he's constipated he works it out with a pencil......

I'll get my coat :D

Plz see yourself out. :D
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Also to add into my post, does intermittent or things like the one meal a day diet or fasting In general cause constipation? My aunt was face timing me and mentioned that if I skip breakfast my digestive system or system wouldnt run as well

I can't see this being an issue. I've used Intermittent Fasting off and on and never noticed a change in my digestion. Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.

I'm IF about 6 days of the week. I would say it's slowed things down a little, but when it does happen...it HAPPENS...not in a hard-to-go-constipated way, though.

I vote for the following:
    • Take something like Miralax for some reliable relief (could be a few hours to 1 day)
    • See a doctor if it persists
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hydration?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, seeing the Dr for advice for you specifically would be best idea.

That being said, Personally I have been dealing with a pain issue the last two months, and as a result, having to take pain meds (over-the counter strength only) every day. (I realize this may not be your situation, I just offer it as an example of yet another possible cause that often gets overlooked).

I discovered that I only started having constipation issues after starting the pain meds. (and in looking back over the past year, the constipation (for me) has always coincided with more than a day or two of oral pain meds).
    I switched to topical pain meds, acupuncture and chiropractor (still searching for alternate, less disruptive pain solutions)... to eliminate the oral pain meds... et voila! Back to normal for me (ie: no constipation).

Worth a conversation with your Dr. for sure if nothing else (food intake related) seems to be helping.
  • PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hydration?

1 gallon at least daily
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hydration?

1 gallon at least daily

That amount of fluid over a period of time can deplete your electrolytes. Are you getting enough sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium?

Very good point! A gallon is far too much.

Start monitoring your urine color and aim for pale yellow (which indicates sufficient hydration).

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Normal water balance is around 2550ml from all sources including food. If the person is a heavy sweating exerciser... that can tip to a gallon....
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink almost a gallon of fluids a day. I shoot for 100 oz and hit 120 a few times a week. I don't have an electrolyte problem.
  • starkspot
    starkspot Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Try a tablespoon of psyllium husk a day mixed with at least 8oz of water. I've been taking it for years and having a health bm every morning at exactly 6:30 Am. ( Just wish I could wake up before 7 ). Slowly ( a couple of weeks) to 2 tbsp a day and you'll be "good to go"... So to speak.

Never had an issue with constipation until I started working out 6 days a week. MFP was saying I needed 30g of dietary fiber per day, and that didn’t even start to get things moving. I upped my fiber intake to 60-100g per day with the food I was eating (lots of blackberries in protein shakes), and that helped, but still not quite “regular.” One dose of psyllium husk powder per day fixed the problem.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sugar free candy ;)

Haribo gummi bears, specifically?

Well any type actually. Most sugar free candy has sugar alcohols in them.

Read the Amazon reviews for the Haribo sugar free gummy bears and you will get the reference.