Not Losing?

Options
I started tracking on MFP about 6 weeks ago. Haven’t missed a day. Almost every day (minus a few I’ve allowed myself) I’ve finished under my calorie goals. I just joined a gym finally this week, and I’ve been here every day for 45-60 min. That said, I’ve been fluctuating on the same 2 pounds +/- for the past 3 weeks or so. This should be simple - CICO. Why isn’t the scale moving?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    How much have you set out to lose?

Are you using a food scale?

Are you adding calories based on your exercise?

And don’t fret. There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve that is rarely discussed. You can work through this.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie goal isn’t low enough or you are miscalculating the number of calories you are eating. Lots of gyms offer a free personal training session to new members maybe see if your gym does and see if you can get some helpful feedback from a PT
  • germangirl2007
    germangirl2007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh 167 and my goal is 140. I’m eating between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. Sometimes i do add more for exercise but on those days i have always finished under goal. I’m either tracking things according to the package (I.e. 1 pkg of oatmeal is 100 calories), or I’m measuring to the extent possible. I’ll scan barcodes or look up nutrition information online if I’m going somewhere. It’s definitely possible that I’m off sometimes, but I’m really diligent about being as accurate as possible and tracking everything. Maybe I’m eating at the wrong times? Does that matter?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    meal times are not relevant. Could be miscalculations. But, here i will get "woo'd" for this, but I kinda agree with the first response up the top - yes CICO is a MAJOR factor, however personally I feel there is more to it than just that. Hormonal imbalances for example. When I started my weight loss journey it was soooo hard to lose and my oestrogen was stupid. Now when I pack some on, it's easy to lose. I just need to shut my mouth a bit. Anyway I won't go into any big answers here coz I know i'll just get slammed, but yeah, also, another thing, more than one professional very good nutritionists and trainers who I have worked with (as in been their clients) have said that unless you are tiny short you should be at more than 1200 cals. 1200 cals only for short periods of time when dieting down for particular things.

aaaand again lots of people will disagree with me there so i better just shut up now.
  • germangirl2007
    Options
    I have an appt w/a personal trainer tomorrow so maybe that will help. I’ve worked w/a nutritionist before but I’ve noticed that things have definitely changed since I had my second baby and got old! Haha! I just need to figure out what will work for me now. I’ve done really well on Whole30, but that’s not sustainable for me. :(
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Meal timing is not relevant to weight loss. Logging accurately is the biggest factor. Using measuring cups can put you off significantly as can going off of packages, which are by law allowed to be up to 20% off. Using erroneous entries can also be an issue and scanning labels only pulls up user-created data just like any other search.

The simplest way is to use a food scale and see exactly what you're eating. They can make a significant difference.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

This^^. Food scale
  • germangirl2007
    Options
    I should also say that up until I started tracking again (6-ish weeks ago), I was probably eating close to double this amount of calories in a day, so I’ve cut WAY back.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed. You've managed to touch on every possible reason (no matter how unlikely) for not losing weight. Except that you're eating too much. You've discussed all sorts of potential 'fixes' and it's been pointed out to you several times that you are obviously eating too much and your current tools are not providing you with what you need to achieve your goal.

So, here's the question set...

Do you currently use a food scale?
    If yes, what is it telling you?
    If no, is this something you would consider going forward?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

yes they do!

How do they matter as far as whether someone is losing weight or not?
  • germangirl2007
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    I'm impressed. You've managed to touch on every possible reason (no matter how unlikely) for not losing weight. Except that you're eating too much. You've discussed all sorts of potential 'fixes' and it's been pointed out to you several times that you are obviously eating too much and your current tools are not providing you with what you need to achieve your goal.

So, here's the question set...

Do you currently use a food scale?
    If yes, what is it telling you?
    If no, is this something you would consider going forward?

I think I specifically said that I may be miscalculating, despite trying diligently to be accurate. I hadn’t previously used a food scale but read packages, scanned barcodes, and measured using measuring cups. Since it was pointed out in this thread by multiple people that none of those things actually work well, I’ve ordered a food scale. Know better, do better. Any other failings you’d like to point out?