Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2018
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Clean out where possiblemand donate to charity. Take the tax deduction !

Say WHAT??!!!???
    Tax write off did you say now?
    W B):smiley:B) W!! Who'd thunk that?!? YOU'VE just blessed/helped/inspired/motivated me to get rid of ALL the big ole pj/loungers, etc. big-time--I was thinking about selling them, but that such a major pain in the neck. Thank you ever so VERY much for contributing to this thread. You're the bombdotcom, period.

P.S. BOOM!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member

Say WHAT??!!!???
    W B):smiley:B) W!! Who'd thunk that?!? YOU'VE just blessed/helped/inspired/motivated me to get rid of ALL the big ole pj/loungers, etc. big-time--I was thinking about selling them, but that such a major pain in the neck. Thank you ever so VERY much for contributing to this thread. You're the bombdotcom, period.

P.S. BOOM!

As this group is in many different countries, check the tax laws where you live :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited September 2018
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm dying to do this in my own home too!!!

Such a CUTE avatar! You're going to be soooooo VERY glad when you do, believe you me! Welcome aboard too!
    o:)<3o:)

I'm happy to assist. I got rid of my bigger pj's because I live in them when I'm in the house. I read somewhere, years ago, a tip to losing/maintaining weight was to not have elastic waist pants. The elastic stretches and still feels comfortable so we don't pay attention. I had gotten rid of all of those years ago, but had still kept my pj's. These were way too comfy and so I found myself just going home getting out of any tight clothes to put those on, might as well have kept the elastic waists!

Hmmmmmm...never thought about the elastic pant thingy, THANKS so much for the tip Snow!

Orphia wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME It's so lovely to see your success happen in so many ways.

<3o:)<3 Thanks so much O!!!

Orphia wrote: »
    @Orphia Who knew! Lol! Defo, will be following this!

I started decluttering a couple of years ago with Home Solutions 100. Con Maried my closets 2 years ago. Freed up half my drawers in that process. Now in the process of discarding all my big sizes. Was very glad of my hoarded clothes as I dropped weight, but it's time to let them go.

@TerriRichardson112 So awesome!

Yes, I had hoarded clothes, and it was fun to "go shopping" in my old stuff.

Is Home Solutions 100 online? Google is only giving me energy/solar companies.

I checked the online details Lol! I signed up for the 15 minute a day challenge. You get weekly updates and reminders and print off sheets.

Google Taylor at Home Storage Solutions 101 the link is below.

https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/?utm_source=Home+Storage+Solutions+101+Newsletter+&+Email+Updates&amp;utm_campaign=8a83cf9c86-Free+Printable+Emergency+Supply+List+10-7-16&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_term=0_01cb615f2b-8a83cf9c86-304372037

Focus this week is entryways/halls/mudrooms.

How absolutely tremendous--thank you ever so much for this link/fabulous contribution to the thread and welcome aboard too! o:)<3o:)

snoo61 wrote: »
    Took something to our bathroom and found myself decluttering the shelves. Didn't spend a lot of time, just randomly looking at things, and throwing things out. Not finished, but I'll get back to it when I have time. :)
    You'r doing GREAT Snoo, YAY you!!!

Took something to our bathroom and found myself decluttering the shelves. Didn't spend a lot of time, just randomly looking at things, and throwing things out. Not finished, but I'll get back to it when I have time. :)

I do a quick 10 minutes bathroom declutter most mornings. It helps me keep on top of things.

Hey Terri!
    What a terrific idea. I usually clean my bathroom mirrors off 2-3 times per week...why not everyday? LOVE it--thanks!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited September 2018
    barbp7 wrote: »
    I know, that's a bad attitude. I will really try to get rid of those too big clothes!!

Just keep one size bigger. Up ten pounds only. Get rid of the rest. When you need the bigger clothes then you know it is time to get back to work

This is a good idea. Also, I would "maybe" keep just ONE pair of my largest size ever ( mine was a 22w...which I got rid of ALL of my "fat" clothes) I :# KINDA wish :/ I would have kept one pair just for the comparison when I reach my goal). I give away or toss all of the clothes that are too big for me. The reason I do that is because by The Grace of God I will not EVER be going back to those sizes or lifestyle ever again in life and I can't WON'T hold on to anything anymore that I'm done with.

I get rid of all of mine as well. The first time I lost weight I didn't and I think it allowed me to gain back without real consequence. The second time I had started getting rid of my clothes and it helped kickstart me to get back into better habits this time. So now I get rid of even more, including pajamas!

Pajamas! I haven't even tried them on, the ones that were too small but I love them, OMG! Thank you!

Girl...Pajamas indeed--who'd thunk it? I LOVE that yours were too small, so now, as you get down to size you'll be able to rock them HARD! What's funny and not so funny is a LOT of my loungewear/pj type of things I couldn't fit for the longest time--too small. THEN as I started the weight blastification in December, these things began/are NOW swimming on me. When I said "lingerie" what I meant lovely pj gowns with matching robes, super cute caftans and lounging robes mega comfortable and again, PRETTY thingys like these--things you "could" possible where outside or in the backyard--so many gorgeous things I'm actually sorry to get rid of now, but LET IT GO I will. :blush:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT5EVHnmdsBBMU744Utu-efzqc5VG8xXndGxgL7jx1yxMKrcM

05514043_zi_black.jpg

570231663ext3.jpg?imgPolicy=productMed

8347085_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1

dondd206930_blackplaid?$PLP1440px2017v2$

BGI0V2P_mu.jpg

?format=300w

7335254.jpg

osc6861311x_bluegeo?$PDP542x636$

9938804_fpx.tif}&anchor=0,0&layer=2&size=236,295&posN=1.0,0&wid=472

05504807_zi_plum_stripe.jpg

Ya know, super CUTE stuff like this--I held on to a LOT of stuff like this, because even though they are now swimming on me, again, I just didn't even consider LETTING GO these type of "comfortable lounging" things away.

How lovely! Just think how beautiful new ones will be!

Snoo, you bless my heart so much, so encouraging you are--I LOVE the way you think. THANK YOU! Also, as we get down to size and meeting our goals, it would be so wonderful to have a tailor or better yet, if you can and want to sew, how tremendous that would be! I've been hunting for a tailor that doesn't charge an arm and leg. The tailors I've been to thus far want FAR too much money :o . I've been looking around for a good tailor all this summer.

Have you tried dry cleaners? I've heard they are reasonable.

I've tried a few in the area, and the work was just okay and the price--meh, so-so too, but THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER, I'll look around some more cleaners (in different areas)--you ROCK, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Say WHAT??!!!???

P.S. BOOM!

As this group is in many different countries, check the tax laws where you live :)

Good point Snoo :smiley:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited September 2018
    I found this article by Stephen Guise ( I just love reading and applying his articles) and I think it may "motivate" some of us:

It's Not How, But When to Get Motivated
    by Stehen Guise

Caption: Motivation is like a train. Used incorrectly, such as outside of the tracks, it won't work. But if it's moving on the tracks, good luck stopping it!

Motivation is misunderstood. Most people think that its primary use is to incite action, but that's akin to using a hairbrush to brush your teeth. It might even work sometimes, but not effectively.

What People Think: Motivation > Action > Results
    What's Actually True: Action > Motivation > Results *OR* Action > Results > Motivation > Results

Some people think I'm anti-motivational, but I'm only against the way that people are taught to use it (motivation > action).

If you depend on motivation to take action, you will not achieve goals. Why? Because even a small amount of resistance, whether internal or external, can swiftly kill any feelings of motivation.

There are two types of motivation that I've talked about before. Only one type—a reason for action—is required to take action. That type does not fluctuate based on the weather or the type of morning you've had. The other type is as strong as a graham cracker—it will crumble under mild pressure.

The Correct Impetus for Action

The ideal driving force for action is not motivation. It's choice. If you choose to do something, it should be as good as done. Until you get to the point where that is your perspective, you will struggle to live your best life. The moment you decide that motivation is your driving force, you have failed.

Relying on motivation means that you'll do whatever you feel like doing. And so life becomes this never-ending battle of trying to manipulate your feelings to suit your needs.

I'm not twisting that around to fit my narrative. That's literally the definition of motivation: the general desire or willingness of someone to do something. Think about the implications of doing whatever you feel like doing. That means you have no control over your life, because no human can reliably control their feelings. It means you will almost always take the path of least resistance (which is rarely the preferred path).

Compare that mess to choice-driven actions, which aren't based on how you feel, but on exactly how you want to live. It's an astounding difference, and likely the key difference between successful and unsuccessful people. But this article isn't merely about bashing motivation, it's about wielding it correctly.

It's Not How, But When to Get Motivated

The question people always ask is "how do I get motivated?" The better question is when, and people don't ask that because they (incorrectly) assume that when is right before you want to take action.

At what point should you pump the loud music, think about your dreams, and recite powerful quotes to supercharge your motivation?

After you've already begun taking action.

As for why you'd do this after action and not before it? Motivation is not a starter, it's an accelerator. Getting motivated often fails to overcome initial resistance to action, but it rarely fails to help you run faster, lift more weight, or work harder.

There are fewer obstructions to getting motivated once you're in action. Here's some internal dialogue examples to help you see this and connect it to experiences in your own life.

Getting Motivated before action (internal dialogue):

I can do this! But I'm not doing it right now and I haven't been doing it lately... Hmm...
    This is everything I want to do and be. So why aren't I doing it yet? Am I missing something?

Getting Motivated during action (internal dialogue):

I am doing this! Yes! Sssssomebody stop me!
    I am in the process of becoming who I want to become! Let's goooo!

I think you get the point. When you begin action, you change the dynamic of the motivation game. Before you're in action, motivational thoughts are easily discouraged by the fact that you haven't done anything yet! But when you're in action, any motivational thought you have is like gasoline to a fire. That's why the best time to get motivated is after you begin action.

How to Begin Action Without Motivation

First, you must use a smart strategy, and the more you practice acting without motivation, the easier it will become. The best strategy I and thousands of others around the world have tried is the Mini Habits strategy, which teaches you how to shrink your goals down to bust through that initial resistance and change the motivation dynamic.

Taking action without motivation is actually easy if you have the correct mindset and aim, but it's also very easy to do things like have a small goal on paper and secretly intend to do more (which is no different from a typical goal that fails to get you started). That's where the Mini Habits book can help. It shows you how to approach your goals, mentally and on paper.

If you learn to overcome initial resistance and then get motivated, you'll experience a lot more success. Try it today. Set a small goal, like one push-up for exercise, or one house chore for cleaning, and after you begin, then try to get motivated. You'll never look back.

Cheers,

Stephen Guise

https://stephenguise.com/mini-habits/
  • snoo61
    Thank you @NewLIFEstyle4ME , this verifies what I've been trying to do! I'll want to sit around all day, but I've been making myself do "just one thing". It really does get me going. Suddenly I've accomplished something!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thank you @NewLIFEstyle4ME , this verifies what I've been trying to do! I'll want to sit around all day, but I've been making myself do "just one thing". It really does get me going. Suddenly I've accomplished something!

My absolute pleasure!

Here's the Pdf of the first chapter of "mini-habits" I think you'll love it!

https://stephenguise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Mini-Habits-Free-Chapter.pdf

• snoo61
    I figured out what drawer to put the spices in! Hubby cleaned out an area, light bulbs moved to a new home, and the spices are now in a kitchen drawer!
  • christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    We are on the same wavelength! I feel that all the stuff stuff stuff I’ve “gathered” around me is actually mirroring what I’ve been doing to myself - stuff stuff stuffing myself and insulating myself and distracting myself rather than seeing loving being WITH myself!

I’m also in toxic people declutter mode! It’s been utterly amazing how much energy I’ve given away for so long to people and family who drain me and break me and put me down. I’ve started with one person and I plan to move on from there.

I’m reading/listening to a great book on Audible.com called TOXIC PARENTS. It’s been such a help!

I love we are on the same path and I’m grateful you started this thread! Thank you!

HOW I AM GETTING RID OF STUFF
    I am giving most stuff away to local church and also donating to Salvation Army but somethings of value, I put on Facebook Marketplace and it goes pretty quickly! Also I use freecycle.org for other stuff for example, I gave away stacks of magazines to a collage artist! And bubble wrap and packing peanuts and empty Amazon boxes to someone moving! You can also post this stuff on Facebook marketplace too.

Looking forward to staying in touch here and supporting!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    We are on the same wavelength! I feel that all the stuff stuff stuff I’ve “gathered” around me is actually mirroring what I’ve been doing to myself - stuff stuff stuffing myself and insulating myself and distracting myself rather than seeing loving being WITH myself!

I’m also in toxic people declutter mode! It’s been utterly amazing how much energy I’ve given away for so long to people and family who drain me and break me and put me down. I’ve started with one person and I plan to move on from there.

I’m reading/listening to a great book on Audible.com called TOXIC PARENTS. It’s been such a help!

I love we are on the same path and I’m grateful you started this thread! Thank you!

I am giving most stuff away to local church and also donating to Salvation Army but somethings of value, I put on Facebook Marketplace and it goes pretty quickly! Also I use freecycle.org for other stuff for example, I gave away stacks of magazines to a collage artist! And bubble wrap and packing peanuts and empty Amazon boxes to someone moving! You can also post this stuff on Facebook marketplace too.

Hey Christine, you fabulous LETTING IT GO AND NOT LOOKIN BACK winner you! How impressive and inspirational you are. Thank you ever so VERY much for contributing to this thread. I super love and appreciate your tips as well.
    {{{ Hugs }}} o:)<3o:)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Hey gang!

Today, for the first time in 20 years or more...I AM IN THE 150'S :smiley:
    My current weight is 159.6lbs and good ole Mfp profile tag shows 60lbs down. After all these glorious and tough months of being 56, 57, and for the longest time 58-59lbs--today I am officially big ole 60.2lbs down. HOW THRILLING!

wipr3ecuq12k.png
    Lost 0.8 lbs since last weighing in! Newlifestyle4me's lost 60.2 lbs so far.

o:) BOOOOM! o:)

Also, I am now a size 12 (down from my highest size of 22w--that's a big ole 5 pant sizes down--WOW!!!!! ) I haven't been a size 12 in more than 20 years. Let me tell ya gang, TAKE YOUR TIME. Even though the weight blastification is taking a kinda long time, L@@K at the results--NO loose skin, my stomach is super shrinking so VERY much, it's amazing. It's no longer "hanging" at all (ya know a kinda pouch looking thing--REALLY ugly and uncomfortable. No more, it's lifting itself up as the fat goes to the place where the sun will never shine and my stomach is going down and looking so much better (still go a way to go, haven't arrive yet, and looking forward to the battle(s) ahead with a--BRING IT attitude/spirit )--but I am so VERY thankful, grateful, humbled and super joyful at what's happening in and thru me and there is NO loose nor excess skin nor hanging over flab, everything is firm and tighter--Thank you LORD <3o:)<3 !!!

Let's take our time in these battles of the bulge and clutter, take our time and do it RIGHT and RIGHTEOUSLY! Again, BOOM!

Woohoo! That must feel tremendous!
  • snoo61
    Hey gang!

My current weight is 159.6lbs and good ole Mfp profile tag shows 60lbs down. After all these glorious and tough months of being 56, 57, and for the longest time 58-59lbs--today I am officially big ole 60.2lbs down. HOW THRILLING!

wipr3ecuq12k.png

Also, I am now a size 12 (down from my highest size of 22w--that's a big ole 5 pant sizes down--WOW!!!!! ) I haven't been a size 12 in more than 20 years. Let me tell ya gang, TAKE YOUR TIME. Even though the weight blastification is taking a kinda long time, L@@K at the results--NO loose skin, my stomach is super shrinking so VERY much, it's amazing. It's no longer "hanging" at all (ya know a kinda pouch looking thing--REALLY ugly and uncomfortable. No more, it's lifting itself up as the fat goes to the place where the sun will never shine and my stomach is going down and looking so much better (still go a way to go, haven't arrive yet, and looking forward to the battle(s) ahead with a--BRING IT attitude/spirit )--but I am so VERY thankful, grateful, humbled and super joyful at what's happening in and thru me and there is NO loose nor excess skin nor hanging over flab, everything is firm and tighter--Thank you LORD <3o:)<3 !!!

Let's take our time in these battles of the bulge and clutter, take our time and do it RIGHT and RIGHTEOUSLY! Again, BOOM!

Well done! You continue to inspire! Thanks for sharing your successes! Nice to have reminders that slow and steady wins!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Didn't really do anything about de-cluttering this weekend except move a couple things from the bench by my door to the car. One step closer to the thrift shop.

I moved my summer clothes to the back of the closet last night while I was putting laundry away. I'm battling with myself whether I should trust that I will continue on my downward trend this winter and these clothes will be too big next year. They were all getting loose this summer, but I don't want to get rid of them and then need them. By the time summer rolls around again we will be knee deep in wedding expenses for my daughter so I know I won't have money to spend on myself. I think that I will compromise with myself on this a little bit. If I am still losing in January I will get rid of them. I know if I can make it through to then I'll be good. I always get the need to lose hitting me in February LOL

I feel like I've let myself down in September and didn't reach my goals. I did lose, but no where near what I was hoping to. I'll take it a loss is a loss after all. Hopefully, October I can be more disciplined.

• snoo61

Christine, thanks for the great ideas for donations!
  • snoo61
    Didn't really do anything about de-cluttering this weekend except move a couple things from the bench by my door to the car. One step closer to the thrift shop.

I moved my summer clothes to the back of the closet last night while I was putting laundry away. I'm battling with myself whether I should trust that I will continue on my downward trend this winter and these clothes will be too big next year. They were all getting loose this summer, but I don't want to get rid of them and then need them. By the time summer rolls around again we will be knee deep in wedding expenses for my daughter so I know I won't have money to spend on myself. I think that I will compromise with myself on this a little bit. If I am still losing in January I will get rid of them. I know if I can make it through to then I'll be good. I always get the need to lose hitting me in February LOL

I feel like I've let myself down in September and didn't reach my goals. I did lose, but no where near what I was hoping to. I'll take it a loss is a loss after all. Hopefully, October I can be more disciplined.

I'm keeping my summer clothes too, unless I really don't like them. I figure that I'll have to go through them when the season changes, so I'll get rid of them then, if necessary.
    And you're right, a loss is a loss! Congratulations are in order!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited October 2018

First Snow, honey you got some super good Genes, because you look mega young...maybe even in 20's or 30's. How beautiful you are. When I read "wedding for your daughter"...I'm was super amazed, because you look like you could be a mom of toddlers or babies. YAY YOU! How EXCELLENT that you've gotten stuff to the door and in the car, you ROCK!

Okay, on to this really important subject of big clothes and clothes in weight-loss in general. I'm a wee bit peeved with myself at how I got several jeans and stuff in sizes 14s and cute XLG tops and dresses in the springtime and summer and now, almost everything I got is too big, too loose and just don't fit me and I'm SORRY I got these things--makes me feel foolish and wasteful. Remember that super cute jean dress I talked about and posted a pic of? It's swimming on me now and looks, let's just say NO, now. This time, in my new size 12s I'm just getting a couple of pair of jeans, and basic (but CUTE & classic) wardrobe staples I can mix and match until I no longer need them. I thought SURE I'd be in the size 14s for much longer than I was. I want to be a better "stewart" of my money this round of sizes and plus getting/buying fewer pieces of size 12 and large/medium stuff will help with keeping my closet neat, organized and decluttered.

I aint keeping NOTHING that's too big for me, period. I've been down that road for years and years and I got my mind made up, I'm getting down to size ( after I meet my goal of getting to 153lbs--I'll be making a new goal of getting to 135-140lbs for my final size. I'd like to get into a size 7-8 and for me, that's around 135-140lbs...at least it was many many moons ago. I could CRY when I think about how much stuff I kept, with the VAIN wishing and a hoping idea that "maybe one day" and how that type of thinking kept me locked in a prison of "STUFF" and MESS, which in turn keep me all stressed and angry, which in turn kept me a tied up in knocks and confused, with contributed to me being a sloppy obese YUCK chick, no thanks. I could SCREAM AND CRY at the embarrassing amount of "STUFF" including an ungodly amount of fabulous clothes (many still with tags on them) and "stuff" I gav away and threw away. Shocking and actually disgusting amount of wasted money and out of control amount of stuff. No Ma'am--NEVER again, it's OUT with EVERYTHING I NO LONGER CAN ACTUALLY USE OR THAT I DON'T REALLY NEED. What's so shocking and enbarrassing is I DON'T EVEN MISS ANYTHING OF THE TON OF STUFF I GOT RID OF AT ALL--SHOCKING, DON'T MISS A THING--YIKES--I was soooo DECEIVED holding on to all that mess (in the name of memories, this was too expensive, i'll sell it and all those deceptions that kept me living in clutter and too much stuff and the oppression and depression that goes with that mess for years! I refuse to live in that cluttered unreality ever again as long as I live. I value lovely space and cluttered free environment (both in my head and in and around my home). The POWER that comes with living and THRIVING (no longer merely "surviving) in a lovely, clutter-FREE spacious home and thought life and not putting up with ANY mess from toxic, energy zapping, CRAZY-making and mind polluting people or stuff is priceless to me.

Nope, for me, the answer to more peace of mind, healthy relationship, watching the pounds/inches fall off of me without any exercise, eating whatever I want too, because I'm more STRESS/MESS free and at peace because of LET IT GO and the lovely space and orderliness that comes about because of the LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK, lifestyle is everythang, PERIOD.

{{{ Hugs }}}}

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I figured out what drawer to put the spices in! Hubby cleaned out an area, light bulbs moved to a new home, and the spices are now in a kitchen drawer!

Get Snoo, that's the ticket--you're doing it and doing it well, YAY YOU and your beloved hubby too!!!
    Hey gang!

wipr3ecuq12k.png

Well done! You continue to inspire! Thanks for sharing your successes! Nice to have reminders that slow and steady wins!

Likewise sister girl...THANK YOU so much for your encouragement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!