At what weight should I start jogging?

Options
2»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You don't mention your height or whether you are male or female. Do you have any knee issues now? I'm short, 52, female and have lost 50 lbs. in the last year. (SW 237, CW 187, GW 127) I am still not running--I can easily walk 2 hours non-stop, and walk 90-100 minutes daily (about 3-4 miles). I ran 4 miles a day in my 20s and 30s, but I told myself I would not start running until I hit 150. For me at my height, it is still too much impact. I don't have any knee issues but my knees bothered me when I was over 200.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you’re ready, start now. Even if it’s just a few minutes mixed into a walk
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want.

For me, it would be never since I dont enjoy it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm in the almost never pool. Never enjoyed it, and at my current boob level it's far too uncomfortable. I ride my bike.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    saundts wrote: »
    Hello all, I am 44 yrs old and weigh 215lbs. At what weight would do you all recommend I can start jogging?

Depends. Why do you want to start? And do you like jogging?
  • RickInHouston
    RickInHouston Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:

Buy a fitness tracker with GPS. I have a Garmin VivoActive Music 3 (don't use the music part, I just like the look the best).

Set up 'Run' Interval workouts. You do it through the app on the phone then sync your phone with the Garmin.

I have about six workouts set up depending on how I feel:

Run .12 / .10
    Run .18 / .12
    Run .25 / .12

So on and so forth. I start the Garmin. I have a .10 mile walk WarmUp set on it. It vibrates so I now run the .12 miles. It vibrates and I walk the next .10 mile... I set the walk run on repeat (it's all in the setup of the workout) for about 40 times (so it doesn't run out).

This way, when I exercise I start the Garmin and go as far or as short a 'Run' as I want.

Start by setting up one Workout Routine to see where you are (.05 run / .12 walk). If you can do it SLOWLY increase the run portion but don't reduce the walk portion much. It seems easy with the first few runs in a workout but then it gets tough. I have a really bad knee and this keeps the pain and swelling under the radar. I hate to jog and this really keeps me motivated. Set up the run part as short a distance as you want.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:

Buy a fitness tracker with GPS. I have a Garmin VivoActive Music 3 (don't use the music part, I just like the look the best).

Set up 'Run' Interval workouts. You do it through the app on the phone then sync your phone with the Garmin.

I have about six workouts set up depending on how I feel:

Run .12 / .10
    Run .18 / .12
    Run .25 / .12

So on and so forth. I start the Garmin. I have a .10 mile walk WarmUp set on it. It vibrates so I now run the .12 miles. It vibrates and I walk the next .10 mile... I set the walk run on repeat (it's all in the setup of the workout) for about 40 times (so it doesn't run out).

This way, when I exercise I start the Garmin and go as far or as short a 'Run' as I want.

Start by setting up one Workout Routine to see where you are (.05 run / .12 walk). If you can do it SLOWLY increase the run portion but don't reduce the walk portion much. It seems easy with the first few runs in a workout but then it gets tough. I have a really bad knee and this keeps the pain and swelling under the radar. I hate to jog and this really keeps me motivated. Set up the run part as short a distance as you want.

Or you could just install the free Map My Run on your phone and get the same features without the expense.

OP, I am with the rest of the answers: start running when you fell it is the right time fitness and joint wise. Do you walk already? Up your speed and do some running during your walk. Do nothing right now? Start walking. Either way, see how your joints do and adjust accordingly.

Personally the answer would be never. Do not like running. Never have and never will. When I needed to up my fitness game I started swimming laps. I can walk for hours. I can swim a couple of miles. I cannot even run a block because I despise it so much.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    I'm in the almost never pool. Never enjoyed it, and at my current boob level it's far too uncomfortable. I ride my bike.

How big are your boobs? I am a DDD and don't have any problems with a decent bra. I have more problems with my stomach. Its funny because I'm scared of riding a bike on the street going down hills and stuff. I'd rather run but can understand not wanting to do it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is your current fitness level?
    If you are just starting to exercise you probably want to walk before you jog. Gradually increase your distance/speed.