Protein/supplements suggestions...

Options
Hey guys and especially girls
I’m looking to buy some protein/supplements but with so many options out there I was wondering if anyone could recommend a weight loss/lean muscle bundle that has benefited them and helped them on their journey (I’m in the U.K. may make a difference to what I can order from where)

Replies

• MrsBeckiC
    MrsBeckiC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m thinking protein shakes for post run/training I have to train at odd times of day to fit around my family and work so can be over an hour plus until I can eat a meal, most of the company’s I’ve seen offer bundles so wondered if anyone has purchased them and found them beneficial, or if I should just buy the protein powder and stick to a shake post run (have tried fruit, cooked chicken and it’s not been enough I’ve had protein balls and they have hit the spot)
  • MrsBeckiC
    Options
    To give you an idea of my “routine” I can only fit my runs (training for a 10k) in on my commute home from work I’m new to running and I’m currently running 3-4K I live 11k away from my job so I run part way and jump on the bus for nearly an hour (this is when I’m hungry and need a protein fix) I’m not stupid and am aware that staying in a calorie deficit will help me lose weight and training (I weight train 2-3 times a week) will help me to gain muscle, I was just looking for someone who could suggest a good protein that can keep me going post run until I’m home and can eat my evening meal with my family
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    MrsBeckiC wrote: »
    To give you an idea of my “routine” I can only fit my runs (training for a 10k) in on my commute home from work I’m new to running and I’m currently running 3-4K I live 11k away from my job so I run part way and jump on the bus for nearly an hour (this is when I’m hungry and need a protein fix) I’m not stupid and am aware that staying in a calorie deficit will help me lose weight and training (I weight train 2-3 times a week) will help me to gain muscle, I was just looking for someone who could suggest a good protein that can keep me going post run until I’m home and can eat my evening meal with my family

I don't use my protein powder in that manner, but my favorites are Quest and Trutein (unknown on UK availability).

I want the most protein bang for my calorie buck, and it has to taste good. Those are my parameters when choosing protein powder.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I like these, and there dense, keeps me satisfied till next meal.
    ffqluro0ls93.png
    by2k2yg8zbay.jpeg
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein (I'm in the UK and it is cheaper to order from their site than from Amazon). Look up the variety of flavours they have for whey protein - like 30 probably.

I don't like meat much and 20g protein (25g powder) to flavour my yummy fruit mousse in the morning are most welcome for me. I've been using it for 2 years now and would not trade my breakfast for anything. It is so deliciously cold and fresh.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only supplements I take are for some health issues I have. I use a whey powder for after my workouts and for snacks. I do strength training at home with some home equipment (dumbbells, barbells, ball, straps, tubes, step) and some cardio with walking, dancing, and kickboxing. I eat very clean.
  • MrsBeckiC
    Options
    Thank you guys 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    MrsBeckiC wrote: »

Under similar circumstances, I like a 200 calorie/20g protein individual serving packet of dry roasted soybeans, but that may be more calories than you're looking for. (I have a strong bias toward food vs. supplements, mostly for tastiness (to me) reasons. ;) ).
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you're getting enough protein in your meals your snack could be anything you enjoy, high or low protein. If you did want high protein, I'd recommend quest or other bars, edamame, individual greek yoghurts, jerky etc as I'd find them easier to eat while commuting.
    If you do still want to get some protein powder, I'd go for myprotein. They have good sales and just good stuff, I order things from them all the way from Australia. I recommend their brownies and cookies, and their mugcake powder.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like unflavored hydrolyzed collagen for protein. I add it to my coffee. It doesn't taste like anything, and it dissolves completely without a blender in either hot or cold liquid.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For post-cardio on the run, I usually have 1/2-1 food bar (usually Balance/Clif/Luna) with peanut butter or a yogurt. (Easy to keep long-shelf-life bars and peanut butter packets in a bag; if the car won't get too hot during the run, I'll sometimes throw a greek yogurt in there when leaving work to have after).

If I expect to run a bit low on protein for the day, I'll likely to go with the yogurt versus peanut butter and the Balance protein bar versus Clif/Luna food bars. (As far as my particularly brand choices, these are the ones that only cost $1 while having what I consider decent enough macros).

If looking to build muscle, then add in some strength training. The running won't do very much for that on its own. And the added strength will improve the running.