Protein/supplements suggestions...

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsBeckiC
    MrsBeckiC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started a training program alongside my runs body weight to begin with but I used to do weighted work before baby no 2 so hoping to get back to that point
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    MrsBeckiC wrote: »
    I’m thinking protein shakes for post run/training I have to train at odd times of day to fit around my family and work so can be over an hour plus until I can eat a meal, most of the company’s I’ve seen offer bundles so wondered if anyone has purchased them and found them beneficial, or if I should just buy the protein powder and stick to a shake post run (have tried fruit, cooked chicken and it’s not been enough I’ve had protein balls and they have hit the spot)

I frequently buy from Women’s Best in the UK. I like their protein powders, protein pancake mix (vanilla raspberry), protein ice cream mix, protein creme ... (I live in the US).

Shakes make convenient snacks for me during the days when my schedule gets busy and I run from meeting to meeting and don’t get back to my office to eat my prepped food. I can always fit a shaker bottle in my briefcase.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I use proteinworld Slenderblend. They have a guarantee that you lose 14lbs in 2 weeks.

A protein powder can't make you lose weight, and certainly not such an unrealistic number. :huh:

I wonder what the small print on the guarantee is.

I had to google it. The claim is up to 4 lbs per week (there's one of their outs there) and the small print says none of the statements made were evaluated by the FDA.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Your main source of protein should be lean meats, beef, chicken, pork, etc. For protein supplements to get to your protein targets I use whey protein isolate and whole fat plain greek yogurt which I add to a daily green smoothie. You can also add the whey to the greek yogurt for a little simple high protein snack.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Your main source of protein should be lean meats, beef, chicken, pork, etc. For protein supplements to get to your protein targets I use whey protein isolate and whole fat plain greek yogurt which I add to a daily green smoothie. You can also add the whey to the greek yogurt for a little simple high protein snack.

Are you saying that everyone's main source of protein should be lean meats or is this recommendation specific to OP?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I use proteinworld Slenderblend. They have a guarantee that you lose 14lbs in 2 weeks.

A protein powder can't make you lose weight, and certainly not such an unrealistic number. :huh:

I wonder what the small print on the guarantee is.

Also “to be used in conjunction with exercise and diet” comes to mind. Nice little gimmick, doncha think?
  • bpotts44
    Options

Are you saying that everyone's main source of protein should be lean meats or is this recommendation specific to OP?

I think so, yes. Eggs are good too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What about dairy or seafood? Some veg can also bump up protein...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

What if someone's main sources of protein were beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, and seitan? Is there a problem with that?

• bpotts44
    Options

What if someone's main sources of protein were beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, and seitan? Is there a problem with that?

Not really as long as they are supplementing for Vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, essential fatty acids and your fat soluble vitamins like A and D.
  • bpotts44
    Options

What about dairy or seafood? Some veg can also bump up protein...

I don't think diary and seafood should be your main source. There is no problem incorporating them into the diet. Seafood is good for alot of different nutrients.
  • bpotts44
    Options

Not really as long as they are supplementing for Vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, essential fatty acids and your fat soluble vitamins like A and D.

I think you may be confused as to what we're discussing here. Some people who use beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, and seitan as main sources of protein may need to supplement for these things. Other people may not. A blanket recommendation for everyone who doesn't use lean meats as their *main source* of protein to supplement all these doesn't really make sense.

Some of these supplements may be simply unnecessary but harmless. But supplementing iron, when you may be getting enough from your diet, is actually contrary to current medical recommendations. Supplementing Vitamin A, when it's abundantly available in many plant-based foods, doesn't seem to be related to the topic at all. Are lean meats even a good source of calcium? I'm not aware of any that have a lot of it, so I'm not sure why someone would need to supplement calcium if they're not eating them.

So I'm still not clear as to why lean meats *should* be someone's main source of protein. I think it's more accurate to say they *can* be a main source of protein, but there are other foods that can fill that role as well. They can be eaten in conjunction with a diet that includes lean meats or they can be eaten instead of lean meats. It's a matter of personal preference.

The OP was asking about protein supplements. It is my opinion based upon the weight of the literature that lean meats are the most nutrient dense protein source that you can consume; therefore, I recommended the OP take a look at lean meats before they seek to meet their protein goals through supplements. I also made a recommendation for whey protein isolate and plain greek yogurt if the lean meats weren't an option.

I'm not disputing that lean meat can be eaten in conjunction with other sources of protein or not eaten at all. However, I do think that lean meats provide the most nutrients compared to other sources.

• janejellyroll
    Options

I think you may be confused as to what we're discussing here. Some people who use beans, grains, tofu, tempeh, and seitan as main sources of protein may need to supplement for these things. Other people may not. A blanket recommendation for everyone who doesn't use lean meats as their *main source* of protein to supplement all these doesn't really make sense.

Some of these supplements may be simply unnecessary but harmless. But supplementing iron, when you may be getting enough from your diet, is actually contrary to current medical recommendations. Supplementing Vitamin A, when it's abundantly available in many plant-based foods, doesn't seem to be related to the topic at all. Are lean meats even a good source of calcium? I'm not aware of any that have a lot of it, so I'm not sure why someone would need to supplement calcium if they're not eating them.

So I'm still not clear as to why lean meats *should* be someone's main source of protein. I think it's more accurate to say they *can* be a main source of protein, but there are other foods that can fill that role as well. They can be eaten in conjunction with a diet that includes lean meats or they can be eaten instead of lean meats. It's a matter of personal preference.

The OP was asking about protein supplements. It is my opinion based upon the weight of the literature that lean meats are the most nutrient dense protein source that you can consume; therefore, I recommended the OP take a look at lean meats before they seek to meet their protein goals through supplements. I also made a recommendation for whey protein isolate and plain greek yogurt if the lean meats weren't an option.

I'm not disputing that lean meat can be eaten in conjunction with other sources of protein or not eaten at all. However, I do think that lean meats provide the most nutrients compared to other sources.

What you're saying is that lean meats can be a good source of protein and that they also provide other nutrients. I don't think anyone disputes that.

My specific challenge was to the statement that lean meats *should* be the main source of protein. While they certainly can be, there is a wide range of diets that can meet human nutritional needs, including those that include lean meats less frequently or even not at all.