Weighing in "cups"

Options
Can this site please stop using this ridiculous term. It is clearly meaningless and undermines the whole purpose of the site. Every item should be in metric or imperial measurements, nothing else.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Replies

• EddieKingsley
    EddieKingsley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So a cup of rice, tells me the volume not the weight but food calories are a weight-based measurement. If Americans don't usethe metric system, use Ounces and Pounds which at least can be meaningfully converted.

Sure I could use a food scale, and sometimes I do, but usually I am measuring against something that the store has measured and labelled. Like the steak that I had yesterday. I trawled through a dozen "cup" based entries for steak. Ridiculous.

Wait? You don't use a food scale? Then how do you know what anything weighs to enter it in the first place?

Food packaging shows weight in most cases.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find that if I put the unit I want in the search, I usually get what I want in the first couple entries.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    So a cup of rice, tells me the volume not the weight but food calories are a weight-based measurement. If Americans don't usethe metric system, use Ounces and Pounds which at least can be meaningfully converted.

Sure I could use a food scale, and sometimes I do, but usually I am measuring against something that the store has measured and labelled. Like the steak that I had yesterday. I trawled through a dozen "cup" based entries for steak. Ridiculous.

Wait? You don't use a food scale? Then how do you know what anything weighs to enter it in the first place?

Assuming everything you eat is packaged in a single serving size, and matches the listed weight perfectly every time (newsflash: it won't) that's a valid point. Otherwise, you still need to weigh things.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    US nutrition facts generally show both weight and the equivalent approximate volume. Sometimes liquids just show volume but they show both imperial and metric.

Here are a couple of examples of the older style:

nbt65khs0gi6.jpg
    7ym7bfrhqir1.jpg
  • EddieKingsley
    EddieKingsley Posts: 12 Member
    Options

And??? That doesn't mean that's what the food weighs. It means that IF it weighs 100 grams, then it is 100 calories (made up numbers). But it isn't automatically 100 grams in weight.

Nope. Most food packaging shows the weight of the food. Some packaging also shows the nutrition per 100g but thattends to be processed food which I try not to eat for obvious reasons.