How fast are you running?

Just wondering, how do you know what pace you are going at when jogging/running? I see stuff like 5 MPH 12min mile and I thought how do you know! Guess when logging on MFP or using a tracking watch maybe?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    My Garmin Forerunner tells me my pace currently, checks off my splits (half mile) times, monitors my heart rate, tells me how far I've gone; basically all the needed info. After a while you'll get a feel for your pace and know how fast you're going without having to check.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Strava tells me my pace.

A recent run (jog?) had the following stats:

Distance: 6.19km
    Elevation 84m
    Moving Time: 46:01
    Elapsed Time: 46:26
    Pace: 7:26/km
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    I use the MapMyRun app. Let’s you know split times and average pace, and it keeps track of the routes you run which I like. I average 9-9:30 min miles for longer runs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Garmin tells me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Distance divided by time, right?

Phone apps, GPS watches, treadmill displays, etc can all give you that info. Then again, most of those will calculate a pace for you. But you can certainly do it the old fashioned way if you know about how far you went and about how long it took you.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Garmin tells me.

Ditto. Mine doesn't automatically sinc up with MFP anymore though so I just take the stats and manually put them in. I run around the same pace every week/depending on distance so I don't bother changing it often since the calories I also calculate separately.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Thank you, the treadmill I use just has levels that goes up to 20 and then another reading on there is average pace. I've just got into outside running so still finding a steady pace that I'm comfortable with for 3 mile runs. Sometimes I go too fast and lose energy quickly. I'm new to Strava and have now changed the settings from km to miles which makes more sense to me. :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    I used to start a simple watch, then stop it at the end. Then I'd map where I went. From there it's simple arithmetic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I don't run, but my Garmin bike computer will give me my average speed when I ride.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't need to be that precise. So, I look at the clock before I leave. I look at the clock when I return. I get on mapmyrun and figure out how far I ran. Then I divide the time by the distance.
    Close enough.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Thank you, the treadmill I use just has levels that goes up to 20 and then another reading on there is average pace. I've just got into outside running so still finding a steady pace that I'm comfortable with for 3 mile runs. Sometimes I go too fast and lose energy quickly. I'm new to Strava and have now changed the settings from km to miles which makes more sense to me. :)

This might be helpful for you.

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    I used to start a simple watch, then stop it at the end. Then I'd map where I went. From there it's simple arithmetic

Pretty much what I do too. I have a fitbit where I care more about the steps and I know the distance it gives me is off. I just map my course and there are pace timing websites out there where I put in the distance/time and get the pace back.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my garmin tells me

last race was 11:10min/mile
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I run on a half mile track and time my laps with an ironman watch. Then, I log it all into running ahead, and it gives me my avg pace and calories burned. Then I can log it here and can make a new entry for a new pace if there isn't one close enough in the database. If I just run outside without knowing the distance, I just log it as a 10 min mile pace since I'm usually slightly faster, but can't tell on the open road lol.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    When I started running, I just measured my route on Map My Run and did the math, noting starting and stopping times. When I began doing races, I wanted to know my pace while I was running because I was starting out too fast and burning out, so I got a Garmin.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member

@MeteoraTitanium . . . Strava is a great app. I use the apple watch and strava app and it syncs to MFP. Posting the workout with mile pace and calories burned . . . doubt its very accurate. If I run a 9:59 minute mile pace . . it will post to MFP as 9:00 minute mile. LOL . . makes me look faster anyway.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I use MapMyRun, but I found I have to wear the phone on my arm. When I put it in my pocket it's constantly pausing and resuming.

The fastest mile I ever ran was 9:41, but I did that specifically to see how fast I could run just one mile, and instead of continuing my run at my usual pace afterward I ended up walking the rest to the route :)

I generally average around 11:30 for my runs. My current goal is to run a sub-30 minute 5K.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    As a long time runner - pace/time/speed is irrelevant for general cardio fitness Your running effort should allow you to have a conversation with a running partner. If you're huffing and puffing breathlessly, you're running too fast. I would also focus on time, not distance. Can you run for :15 minutes; :30, or :60 without stopping? That's a better goal than distance - at least to establish a baseline of cardio fitness.
  • MrsBeckiC
    MrsBeckiC Posts: 16 Member
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    As a long time runner - pace/time/speed is irrelevant for general cardio fitness Your running effort should allow you to have a conversation with a running partner. If you're huffing and puffing breathlessly, you're running too fast. I would also focus on time, not distance. Can you run for :15 minutes; :30, or :60 without stopping? That's a better goal than distance - at least to establish a baseline of cardio fitness.

Found this info helpful! I’m just starting to run and training for a 10k been focused on the distance but just realised I can run 17mins non stop 👍
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Garmin tells me.

That's too reality-based and not aspirational enough.