How fast are you running?

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Garmin tells me.

That's too reality-based and not aspirational enough.

I'm sorry.... :laugh:
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    As a long time runner - pace/time/speed is irrelevant for general cardio fitness Your running effort should allow you to have a conversation with a running partner. If you're huffing and puffing breathlessly, you're running too fast. I would also focus on time, not distance. Can you run for :15 minutes; :30, or :60 without stopping? That's a better goal than distance - at least to establish a baseline of cardio fitness.

This is one of the reasons I prefer running outside as opposed to a treadmill. I can run at my own pace without the numbers on the treadmill intimidating me.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I went running with a girlfriend the other day and she timed us at 12kph 5min per km, very happy before that I had no idea.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There is all kinds of phone apps that will track your pace as well, I use Endomondo.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    KaleidoscopeEyes8 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I use an app called RunKeeper. It's free and automatically syncs with MyFitnessPal. (Note it basically acts as a GPS tracker and therefore does not work on the treadmill.)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options

This might be helpful for you.

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/[/quote]

Thank you this is brilliant :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how do you know what pace you are going at when jogging/running? I see stuff like 5 MPH 12min mile and I thought how do you know! Guess when logging on MFP or using a tracking watch maybe?

tracking watch.
    or tracking app on phone.

or alternatively, you can time your run and then map out your route on something like ridewithgps.com for distance.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    fitness watch, or use the strava app (well I'm sure there's plenty of apps that do this but strava seems to be the most popular). I just discovered it lol! I think it's neat. It even breaks down how fast your fastest mile, 2 miles, 1k etc. was.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I use the MapMyRun app. Let’s you know split times and average pace, and it keeps track of the routes you run which I like. I average 9-9:30 min miles for longer runs.

This. Except I'm much slower :)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your answers thank you so much. I'm doing another park run this weekend, still getting used to a steady pace and improving. I was rubbish last week! But now I know what to look for xx
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Garmin shows it and sends to MFP. MFP then posts on my timeline the next slower pace from among MFP's options. So if average pace is 10:31, for example, I think MFP will post 11 min. miles (I believe they are in 1/2 min. increments.. 10:29 will be 11.5 min. miles on MFP.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Garmin shows it and sends to MFP. MFP then posts on my timeline the next slower pace from among MFP's options. So if average pace is 10:31, for example, I think MFP will post 11 min. miles (I believe they are in 1/2 min. increments.. 10:29 will be 11.5 min. miles on MFP.

This, except MFP bottoms out at 12 min/mile I think...

Signed, the person who would be ecstatic to actually run 12 min/mile.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

This, except MFP bottoms out at 12 min/mile I think...

Signed, the person who would be ecstatic to actually run 12 min/mile.

@sarahtheses . . your doing awesome! Don't worry about the time . . one mile is one mile. LOL