How fast are you running?

2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Garmin tells me.

That's too reality-based and not aspirational enough.

I'm sorry.... :laugh:
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    As a long time runner - pace/time/speed is irrelevant for general cardio fitness Your running effort should allow you to have a conversation with a running partner. If you're huffing and puffing breathlessly, you're running too fast. I would also focus on time, not distance. Can you run for :15 minutes; :30, or :60 without stopping? That's a better goal than distance - at least to establish a baseline of cardio fitness.

This is one of the reasons I prefer running outside as opposed to a treadmill. I can run at my own pace without the numbers on the treadmill intimidating me.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2018
    I went running with a girlfriend the other day and she timed us at 12kph 5min per km, very happy before that I had no idea.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    There is all kinds of phone apps that will track your pace as well, I use Endomondo.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    KaleidoscopeEyes8 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2018
    I use an app called RunKeeper. It's free and automatically syncs with MyFitnessPal. (Note it basically acts as a GPS tracker and therefore does not work on the treadmill.)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member

This might be helpful for you.

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/[/quote]

Thank you this is brilliant :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Just wondering, how do you know what pace you are going at when jogging/running? I see stuff like 5 MPH 12min mile and I thought how do you know! Guess when logging on MFP or using a tracking watch maybe?

tracking watch.
    or tracking app on phone.

or alternatively, you can time your run and then map out your route on something like ridewithgps.com for distance.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    I use Runtastic.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    fitness watch, or use the strava app (well I'm sure there's plenty of apps that do this but strava seems to be the most popular). I just discovered it lol! I think it's neat. It even breaks down how fast your fastest mile, 2 miles, 1k etc. was.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I use the MapMyRun app. Let’s you know split times and average pace, and it keeps track of the routes you run which I like. I average 9-9:30 min miles for longer runs.

This. Except I'm much slower :)
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    I appreciate all of your answers thank you so much. I'm doing another park run this weekend, still getting used to a steady pace and improving. I was rubbish last week! But now I know what to look for xx
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Garmin shows it and sends to MFP. MFP then posts on my timeline the next slower pace from among MFP's options. So if average pace is 10:31, for example, I think MFP will post 11 min. miles (I believe they are in 1/2 min. increments.. 10:29 will be 11.5 min. miles on MFP.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Garmin shows it and sends to MFP. MFP then posts on my timeline the next slower pace from among MFP's options. So if average pace is 10:31, for example, I think MFP will post 11 min. miles (I believe they are in 1/2 min. increments.. 10:29 will be 11.5 min. miles on MFP.

This, except MFP bottoms out at 12 min/mile I think...

Signed, the person who would be ecstatic to actually run 12 min/mile.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

This, except MFP bottoms out at 12 min/mile I think...

Signed, the person who would be ecstatic to actually run 12 min/mile.

@sarahtheses . . your doing awesome! Don't worry about the time . . one mile is one mile. LOL