Turning 45 Sunday, Lost 100+ lbs last year & have maintained for more than a year!

September 15th, 2018 made 1 year of maintenance for me.

I lost over 100 lbs from January 11th, 2017 to September 15, 2017. That is exactly 8 months and 4 days.

Of course the very first question everyone asks is, How? Honestly, it is as simple as eating right and moving more. I got up off the couch, got into the gym and started moving more along with changing what and how much I ate. I didn't completely remove anything from my diet. I continued to eat carbs, dairy and even sweets. However, I learned how to eat appropriate portions by weighing and logging my food using MFP.

I wasn't always obese, but after having my first son and continuing to eat like I was pregnant... the pounds started packing on. I actually dropped pretty much all my weight after having him, but put it plus more right back on. Got pregnant with our second son and more weight came. Son number three, even more. They were 10 lb babies, but I had no gestational diabetes or anything of the sort... Just big babies. My sons have never seen me at a normal weight until last year when I hit goal and my oldest turns 24 in just a couple of weeks. My youngest son turned 20, today. So that tells you... I was obese for a LONG time. I wish I would've made the changes earlier. Maybe if I had, my knees wouldn't be in the shape they are now from carrying around all that weight for all those years. BUT know that it is NEVER too late!! If I can do it, you can too!!

So now it has been more than a year and I have kept the weight off and am actually even a little lower. I started at 260 lbs on January 11th, 2017. Today, October 3rd, 2018 I currently weigh 157.8 lbs.

Stay the course. Set Goals, short and long term. Take Progress pictures frequently. Weigh & Log your food. You can reach your goals and you can lose the weight!

Since being in maintenance, I take my weekends off meaning I don't weigh/log my food and I tend to eat less healthier options. I rarely hit the gym on the weekend either. First thing Monday morning, I get right back to it. Eating healthy and getting my exercise in. This method has worked for me for more than a year now. I like having the freedom on the weekends to be more relaxed with my eating. I just thought I'd share this for anyone wondering about how maintenance will work. I have seen so many posts from folks struggling with maintaining. It is truly about what you do the majority of the time.

I've included a lot of pictures below to show you where I was and where I am now. The last two photos were just taken last Thursday, Sept 27th.

3cux3bhtm9qj.jpg
30x67mn3zbs9.jpg
kwok6m343xfa.jpg
1lbhnkqwsq18.jpg
logcboiyoplc.jpg
xxsm315kx8uj.jpg
h5amqnx1cix3.jpg
gsemne3qo8gv.jpg
piz046wkpm2t.jpg
kjnqovji6rug.png
684gajky7hc0.jpg
3z1vnn31kdgi.jpg
b7t298n3jod6.jpg

Replies

• corkygates
    corkygates Posts: 221 Member
    Very impressive, congrats to you. You look amazing!
  • Ms_Lezli
    Ms_Lezli Posts: 11 Member
    Congratulations! You look amazing! Thank you for sharing your maintenance tips. I am also mother to three wonderful sons.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    What can I say? It seems you did everything right, you lost the weight and maintained for a year now :) I congratulate you and you look wonderfull :)
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for sharing. This is really motivating for us still at the beginning.

Wow. That's a great birthday gift to yourself! Hitting 45 with one year maintenance behind you. Congrats
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story. As I get close to my ideal weight I do worry about maintenance. Your strategy seems a good one. 😊
  • seaturtle7
    seaturtle7 Posts: 10 Member
    You look fabulous! Keep up the good work. 😀
  • denton80
    denton80 Posts: 4 Member
    Well done you're an inspiration to what we can all achieve
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Congratulations! A job well done and loved your story. When we tell newbies it's that simple--they don't believe it. You worked hard and it shows.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,274 Member
    You look amazing; thank you for sharing your story and all the pictures! I especially love the outfit of the jeans, boots, and gray sweater, but I love your style in general. God willing, I want to dress like that one day. :smile:
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Gorgeous collage!!
    I love it! :smiley:
    Thank you for sharing..
  • gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Thanks for sharing! You look so happy and healthy - very inspiring. :)
  • bobbimrn
    bobbimrn Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2018
    You look so pretty, stylish and healthy! Thanks for sharing how you’ve kept it off.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    You look so much younger! And the short haircut is AWESOME!! I have curls, but I'm always envious of women who can rock the super short cut. You look fantastic. Keep it up!!!
  • KayTrask
    KayTrask Posts: 11 Member
    This is so inspirational! Great work, you should be so proud. I am hoping to lose 80 in 10 months and am already 2 months in and have lost 25. I am doing everything the same as you in terms of food and exercise. Did you ever plateau at any point? I am so scared of a plateau!
  • aklop44
    aklop44 Posts: 4 Member
    September 15th, 2018 made 1 year of maintenance for me.

I lost over 100 lbs from January 11th, 2017 to September 15, 2017. That is exactly 8 months and 4 days.

Of course the very first question everyone asks is, How? Honestly, it is as simple as eating right and moving more. I got up off the couch, got into the gym and started moving more along with changing what and how much I ate. I didn't completely remove anything from my diet. I continued to eat carbs, dairy and even sweets. However, I learned how to eat appropriate portions by weighing and logging my food using MFP.

I wasn't always obese, but after having my first son and continuing to eat like I was pregnant... the pounds started packing on. I actually dropped pretty much all my weight after having him, but put it plus more right back on. Got pregnant with our second son and more weight came. Son number three, even more. They were 10 lb babies, but I had no gestational diabetes or anything of the sort... Just big babies. My sons have never seen me at a normal weight until last year when I hit goal and my oldest turns 24 in just a couple of weeks. My youngest son turned 20, today. So that tells you... I was obese for a LONG time. I wish I would've made the changes earlier. Maybe if I had, my knees wouldn't be in the shape they are now from carrying around all that weight for all those years. BUT know that it is NEVER too late!! If I can do it, you can too!!

So now it has been more than a year and I have kept the weight off and am actually even a little lower. I started at 260 lbs on January 11th, 2017. Today, October 3rd, 2018 I currently weigh 157.8 lbs.

Stay the course. Set Goals, short and long term. Take Progress pictures frequently. Weigh & Log your food. You can reach your goals and you can lose the weight!

Since being in maintenance, I take my weekends off meaning I don't weigh/log my food and I tend to eat less healthier options. I rarely hit the gym on the weekend either. First thing Monday morning, I get right back to it. Eating healthy and getting my exercise in. This method has worked for me for more than a year now. I like having the freedom on the weekends to be more relaxed with my eating. I just thought I'd share this for anyone wondering about how maintenance will work. I have seen so many posts from folks struggling with maintaining. It is truly about what you do the majority of the time.

I've included a lot of pictures below to show you where I was and where I am now. The last two photos were just taken last Thursday, Sept 27th.

3cux3bhtm9qj.jpg
    30x67mn3zbs9.jpg
    kwok6m343xfa.jpg
    1lbhnkqwsq18.jpg
    logcboiyoplc.jpg
    xxsm315kx8uj.jpg
    h5amqnx1cix3.jpg
    gsemne3qo8gv.jpg
    piz046wkpm2t.jpg
    kjnqovji6rug.png
    684gajky7hc0.jpg
    3z1vnn31kdgi.jpg
    b7t298n3jod6.jpg

• aklop44
    aklop44 Posts: 4 Member
    Wow. I am new to MFP. You are so inspiring. You look amazing!!!!

I was doing weight watchers. But tired of paying
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    corkygates wrote: »
    Very impressive, congrats to you. You look amazing!

Thank you! I appreciate the compliment.
    Ms_Lezli wrote: »
    Congratulations! You look amazing! Thank you for sharing your maintenance tips. I am also mother to three wonderful sons.

Thank you so much! Nice to hear from another mom of 3 boys too!
    Emi1974 wrote: »
    What can I say? It seems you did everything right, you lost the weight and maintained for a year now :) I congratulate you and you look wonderfull :)

Thank you!!
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. This is really motivating for us still at the beginning.

Wow. That's a great birthday gift to yourself! Hitting 45 with one year maintenance behind you. Congrats

Thank you! Yes I think it a pretty good gift to myself too.
    Thanks for sharing your story. As I get close to my ideal weight I do worry about maintenance. Your strategy seems a good one. 😊

I worried about maintenance, myself. That is why I wanted to put this out there. Not everyone goes about it the same and that is okay. You just have to find what will work for you. This is a method I can see myself being able to maintain.
    seaturtle7 wrote: »
    You look fabulous! Keep up the good work. 😀

Thank you so much! I intend to! :)
    denton80 wrote: »
    Well done you're an inspiration to what we can all achieve

That is why I share my story... I hope to inspire others. Even if it is just one person.
    Congratulations! A job well done and loved your story. When we tell newbies it's that simple--they don't believe it. You worked hard and it shows.

Yeah, I know. So many want it to be magical or a one pill deal and it just happens... just not the case.
    You look amazing; thank you for sharing your story and all the pictures! I especially love the outfit of the jeans, boots, and gray sweater, but I love your style in general. God willing, I want to dress like that one day. :smile:

Thank you and YOU WILL!! Just believe that you can and don't give up!!
    jhilkene wrote: »
    Gorgeous collage!!
    I love it! :smiley:
    Thank you for sharing..

Thank you!
    Thanks for sharing! You look so happy and healthy - very inspiring. :)

Thank you! I am very happy and definitely improved my health.
    bobbimrn wrote: »
    You look so pretty, stylish and healthy! Thanks for sharing how you’ve kept it off.

Thank you!!
    You look so much younger! And the short haircut is AWESOME!! I have curls, but I'm always envious of women who can rock the super short cut. You look fantastic. Keep it up!!!

I have had the short hair for such a long time... but went much shorter as I lost weight. Thank you for the compliments!

• ChelleDee07
    KayTrask wrote: »
    This is so inspirational! Great work, you should be so proud. I am hoping to lose 80 in 10 months and am already 2 months in and have lost 25. I am doing everything the same as you in terms of food and exercise. Did you ever plateau at any point? I am so scared of a plateau!

I did hit a plateau. It lasted about 28 days and I remember getting frustrated, but I held tight and kept weighing and logging my food and getting my workouts in. Eventually, the weight shifted. Don't get discouraged. Find something to help you continue to push onward. You can do it!! Believe you can! Set short term and long term goals. You've Got This!!
  • ChelleDee07
    aklop44 wrote: »
    Wow. I am new to MFP. You are so inspiring. You look amazing!!!!

I was doing weight watchers. But tired of paying

I think you should do what works for you. The end result we work for is much the same, but how we get there can sometimes be different. For example, the Keto Diet. I have a few friends who have went that route and have had great results, but it is not something I ever even considered. It simply doesn't appeal to me, but that's me. I knew I wanted to make changes that I could continue with for the rest of my life. Calorie counting/weighing your food and logging can feel very time consuming at first until you do it so much it is second nature. I can pretty much accurately guess at the correct serving size now, but I still weigh to be certain during the week when I am home and able. If I am out... I estimate the best I can. I knew I wasn't going to live the rest of my life not eating carbs or sweets. Not happening! BUT I could learn to cut back. I never omitted anything from my diet. You have to figure out and decide for yourself what is going to work for you not just today and tomorrow, but next year and five years from now. You have to make it a lifestyle change or the weight won't stay gone. Hope this helps!! You can do it!!
  • phaniea69
    phaniea69 Posts: 9 Member
    You look incredible! I love your approach to weight loss. I feel similarly. I can’t totally eliminate food groups. It’s nice to see someone who has been very successful eating this way. It’s sometimes easy to feel like you are doing things wrong if you aren’t following one of the more restrictive diets. I hope to have some rocking after pics like yours in about a year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!