Avoiding eating disorder

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a question which has been on my mind for a while.
I have been on mfp for a few years on and off, and I personally and luckily never had an eating disorder. I am just wondering if obsessively sticking to this plan (and the calories mfp is giving me) might eventually lead to one in some people and I'd like to hear your opinions on this issue.

I am using MFP and Fitbit. I eat all my Fitbit calories back, mostly because I actually feel like I need them. MFP gives me 1200 calories per day, and that doesn't seem nearly enough for me and I actually go hungry (even if I cut out the crap like chocolate, alcohol, eating out too often etc.). I can fairly happily function on around 1600 a day (I normally move enough to earn the extra 400 as well).
By eating my calories back, I obviously don't see as much and as quick a change as I'd like and have gotten frustrated and given up a few times, but I find it necessary to do this to have a fairly normal life.
I read that a lot of people weigh their food, some even in restaurants, and while I'm sure this does lead to a greater success I am worried that if I start doing this, I will get so obsessed with every gram I eat that it might spiral out of control.
It just worries me when I really get into MFP and start losing weight that I suddenly start fearing social occasions (there is at leats one a week, and I have dropped out of some purely because I knew I would have dinner out or a drink or two) and almost resentful when people invite us out, or cook us dinner, but only because that day is then a write off in my head diet wise and I feel guilty and like a failure. Does anyone get tis and ow do you deal with it?
I'm just wondering what your ways of leading a balanced life are without getting obsessed. Are there any tricks? Do any of you for example stick to the calories in the week and do "maintenance" weekends? Does this work for some of you?
I'm just worried because yes, I do want to lose a few kilos and get back to the weight I felt most happy with, but I also am worried about getting too obsessed and missing out on life while doing this.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    oooohhh. I love that infographic, it needs to go in the infographic thread.

Except...is there an "e" in binging/bingeing? I never know.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do not believe I have an eating disorder, but do get caught up knowing where to draw the line between accuracy and living my life. I have been logging daily since 8/4 and have lost 20 of my goal 75 pounds. Bought a food scale a few weeks ago due to the multiple comments about needing to be more accurate as a person gets closer to their goal. Cooking a recipe from platejoy last night. I am supposed to eat 25% of the total cooked. I carefully measured each item as I made the recipe. Now I am getting another dish out to tare the scale to weigh the total meal so I know I can eat 334g of this dish. Then I am making sure it is mixed well so my portion is representative of the total. Is this what others do? My three teen girls are watching me do this. I want to make sure they also witness this as healthy and not obsessive. Do this make sense?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So many trust the MFP eating goal (even though they may have not selected the correct non-exercise activity level and kinda know it).

But then as soon as they enter a workout and that eating goal changes - confusion results and doubt and no longer trusting MFP.
    Even though they had no idea how the 1200 was reached but was willing to accept it - suddenly they don't know why the goal increased but no longer willing to meet it.

I kinda believe those few that say MFP worked correctly for them using all the numbers given - may indeed have selected activity level lower than reality, may indeed have selected a weight loss rate higher than reasonable - but then their inaccurate food logging and eating back potentially inflated workout calories prevented them from eating too little and the resulting adapting by their body to slow down their daily burn.

And you indeed did that recipe correctly for getting calories - in theory.
    You say measured, but calories is per gram, weight, not volume measurements.
    Did you weigh the ingredients as they went in? won't appear obsessive since that's the means of getting the right amount of ingredients.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    As you've seen from the comments above, it varies greatly by the individual with the majority of the people having no issues whatsoever. I've never had an eating disorder and have no mental health issues that I know of, but I found myself slipping down a rabbit hole of obsessiveness that to me was starting to border on disordered thinking so I stopped logging. I did it gradually by logging 6 out of 7 days at first, then just during the week and not on the weekends and then completely stopping. I'm still mindful about what I eat, but it's worked out well for me. But if I ever wanted to lose weight again, I would start logging again.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I think it helps to be aware of tendencies and your mental status. I have a history of eating disorders dating on/off back to the 80's. I've been here since 2009. I know that I have the ability to get sucked in and obsessive about eating/exercising so I'm pretty careful about paying attention to the signs of falling down the rabbit hole. I know when to back off. I only wear a fitbit when I am in the middle of a fitness challenge for my health insurance. I wear a Garmin when I do my purposeful exercise--mostly for the mapping aspects of it (and Strava--I turn my obsession into winning QOMs). Although I log everyday and am on a monster streak, I do not weigh every single morsel of food that I put in my mouth--I feel that this is too triggering. I am just mindful about what I eat/how much I eat and make smart choices as much as possible.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer about "tricks" to avoid it, but knowing yourself is the best trick I can think of...

Not to derail the thread, but I've recently started using Strava. What are QOM's, please?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Chronic under-eating can trigger disordered eating.

And large, as a percentage of TDEE, deficits, especially as they progressively exceed ~20% of TDEE, also increase the risk of ed ideation when applied to individuals with energy reserves commensurate to being "normal weight".

Many people spontaneously and sufficiently recover with more normalized eating, others don't.

As a leaner person, I would look at losing at a higher average intake than 1200. I would also look into structured re-feeds and diet breaks as they might help you achieve faster and better overall results.

I am sure there is a re-feed and diet break thread somewhere :lol: (it is referenced in the stickied posts at the top of the forum. The basics of what you need to know have now been incorporated in the re-edited first post of the diet break thread)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I think it helps to be aware of tendencies and your mental status. I have a history of eating disorders dating on/off back to the 80's. I've been here since 2009. I know that I have the ability to get sucked in and obsessive about eating/exercising so I'm pretty careful about paying attention to the signs of falling down the rabbit hole. I know when to back off. I only wear a fitbit when I am in the middle of a fitness challenge for my health insurance. I wear a Garmin when I do my purposeful exercise--mostly for the mapping aspects of it (and Strava--I turn my obsession into winning QOMs). Although I log everyday and am on a monster streak, I do not weigh every single morsel of food that I put in my mouth--I feel that this is too triggering. I am just mindful about what I eat/how much I eat and make smart choices as much as possible.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer about "tricks" to avoid it, but knowing yourself is the best trick I can think of...

Not to derail the thread, but I've recently started using Strava. What are QOM's, please?

QOM = queen of the mountain
  • CCgal2018
    CCgal2018 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying Im on the beginning of my journey and have only been tracking for a few weeks. But here is what I’ve noticed so far.... I personally noticed my eating was leaning more towards disordered when I had my calories set super low. I upped it about 200/day and have since done better. Most days I naturally eat below this higher threshold anyway. However, the extra calories allowance made a HUGE mental difference. I stopped obsessing over having a few bites of this or that. Even if my progress is slower, it’s more sustainable and less mentally taxing.

I agree with the idea to look at the numbers as a management system rather than a personal failing. I love the baking analogy. Most 1st world people are eating double portions of food. Measuring food into healthy portions is not the culprit for most people. Eat out and enjoy your social interactions! Balance high cal days with low cal days.

Also, a question... are you overdoing it with steady state cardio? Are you incorporating any resistance training or short sessions of HIIT cardio? I’ve read (and experienced) that excessive/long cardio sessions can create ravenous hunger. If this is what you are doing, try upping your calories by 1-200 and replacing some cardio with resistance training or HIIT.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with higher calories and different workouts to find what works for you. Personally, my mesomorph body type is having better success with higher calories dedicated to protein intake combined with 4 days of HIIT calisthenics and only 2 days of moderate intensity steady state cardio.

Also, focus in on your goal. What do you really want- quick loss of a few pounds or sustainable lifestyle choices?

In summary, if you are bordering on disordered mentality or thinking of giving up, your body is probably needing a change from the routine you have developed. Experiment with calories, macro ratios & workouts until you find a good fit.

Best of luck!!