Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How often should I lift weights.

Hello everyone. I am 42, 5 feet 5 inches and am 177 pounds. My short term goal is to drop 10 pounds, with a long term goal of hitting 135 - 140 pounds. I walk 3.5 miles 6 times a week ( mostly because it helps with stress) and have started lifting. My question is, how often should I lift. I am trying to keep my intake around 1450 calories a day with 50% of them from protein. Thank you.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Here's a thread with info about the professionally designed lifting programs a lot of people around here seem to like (there's quite a variety, so you should be able to find something that suits):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    HeyEmilio wrote: »
    I'm of the personal opinion that you need only one day of recovery per week. The most important thing is to learn proper form and to listen to your body to avoid injuries.

And you hold this opinion no matter what type of routine a person is doing?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I just started back this week. My goal is not to bulk up but to avoid losing muscle. I am also making sure that I have the strength to ski all day without wimping out. I run to the gym every other day and do a Nautilus set. Its very fast and hits my major muscle groups. On the off days I just run and maybe take a break on the weekend. Sometimes yard work and house maintenance is workout in its own right. On this type of plan a rest day in between each workout. On more aggressive free weight plan you can alternate muscle groups for a four day workout or more.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Good for you op! Depending on how hard your are lifting in the gym, how often, how long, you may need more calories than that, just to keep in mind.. In my opinion.. I lift 5-6 days a week. I knew nothing about weight training when I started but have read a lot and write my own programs.. Def have a plan when you step in the gym.. If I had known about programs at the beginning I would have followed one by Brett Contreras.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    The Notorious RGB and I do a full body program twice per week https://smile.amazon.com/RBG-Workout-How-Stays-Strong-ebook/dp/B0714M94MN/

I'm 52 and have been lifting off and on since I was 19, and found that most so called beginner programs aren't. But the above is easily adaptable to what I can and cannot do.