WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Ok got about 3 hrs sleep..I have GERD and it's acting up something fierce...so I'm gonna be dragging today....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    I don't drive much because it's my husband's car and I somehow feel a bit awkward. I do drive locally in it occasionally. Another car would be a huge extravagance and I have next to zero income. This means I am pretty cut off out here in the countryside when DH has the car for cricket or something. There is a bus once an hour, but it's not going to anywhere I much want to go to. There are taxis, but round here they are stupid expensive. :o:o:o:o I do get those if I have to, but rarely.
    This is one of the reasons we want to move to Hove.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Been visiting my sister in law for 2 days so need to go back to the beginning of the month to catch up. :o
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Leonora my husband had narcolepsy and also cataplexy. The narcolepsy would make him fall asleep at odd times at a moments notice and he always felt tired. The cataplexy caused him to collapse when he got emotional, whether it was laughing at a comedian, or getting wound up about something, his legs would buckle from under him and he'd go down. I was a nervous wreck, always worried he'd fall and hurt himself. The cataplexy attacks could last for quite a few minutes before he "came around" and when he did, he always felt unwell for a few hours. He stopped going out of the house in case he had an attack, as once someone thought he was drunk, and that really upset him. He was on medication, but it only helped a little.

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, after work today, DH and I are off to Toronto! Just for a little 3-day getaway which always cheers up DH immeasurably--he's a wanderer that one.

We've packed up the car to hit the road directly after work and will stop at the Falls for a pilgrimage ( will wave at Beth's on the way past Buffalo.) Then on to Toronto to sightsee and visit an elderly Aunt and a cousin of DH. Should be a nice diversion and hoping to see some beautiful fall colors along the way.

DH backed up our laptop last night and we were going through old pics, my goodness DD was adorable with a mouth full of braces, I had forgotten how she loved to take pics of her feet! I mean a lot of feet pics :p What a task it will be to really weed through and make something wonderful of those memories, at least they are not in a shoe box like my childhood/early adult photos.

Have a great weekend, I'm sure I'll be logging food and lurking. And yes, so far, I've s t r e t c h e d every day so far in October.

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Pretty consistent the last 3 months since my husband has been home from the hospital ... right around the 24/25 hour point. Maybe I'll get a bit more exercise in this month.

Past Octobers:
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min

Monday, 1 October 2018 ... 4.3 km walking + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Tuesday, 2 October 2018 ... 3.6 km walking + 6.2 km running + 5 flights of 20 stairs
    Wednesday, 3 October 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 4 October 2018 ... 2.5 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Friday, 5 October 2018 ... 2 km walking + 4.1 km running + 10 flights of 20 stairs

2018 Monthly October
    Walking Distance (km): 24.5
    Walking Time (min): 253.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 0.0
    Cycling Time (min): 0.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 29.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 23.2

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 24.5
    Total Distance (miles): 15.2
    Total Time (min): 276.7
    Total Time (hr): 4:36:42

It's a start!!

Machka in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Staying with DD until tomorrow, she had to go to London today and leave grand with EDS behind. They have a new rescue dog, he is a handful at the moment so we were worried about his behaviour, hence me being here. They are hoping to get him trained as Service Dog.
    I am missing the Giants out and about today at home but hopefully I'll catch up with them tomorrow afternoon and Sunday.

Kate UK <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    NYKAREN Sounds like a nice little trip! Have a bunch of fun!

Barbie You are doing so great! I am so glad you have recuperated so well. It's been really difficult to be sedentary. You handled it better than I would have.

Warning: Rant ahead, please skip if you need a peaceful reading experience:
    Another fight at the grandson's house Wednesday evening resulted in my grandson staying overnight here last night. :s:#:/:s:#:'(:/:| He was furious about not being able to have 5 minutes on the computer to research information to make an entry in his specs notebook on his new HotWheels car. Earlier in the evening, and the day before, his mom had put him off about doing it. They didn't sit down for dinner until 9 p.m. Wednesday, which is bedtime. At dinner, when he asked if he could use the computer for a few minutes after dinner, his Mom said "No" & "Because I said so" (ugh), and he went ballistic. Screaming, cursing, slamming his bedroom door. Scared the hell out of his younger sister. For those of you that don't know, my grandson is 12, and if he avoided eye contact, he would have a diagnosis of Asperger's. He has been tested by 3 psychiatrists, who all say the same thing. Not Asperger's because he is high functioning, makes good eye contact, & carries out conversations well. I disagree with them. The other day I found him tightly rolled up inside an area rug, happy as a clam. I found out 2 days ago that his mom (my daughter-in-law) also believes he has Asperger's. I think she forgets this when things like the HotWheels spec notebook entry comes up. It is an obsession, and one of the few things he gets pleasure from. He had been waiting for 2 days to be given permission to spend 5 minutes looking up those specs. So the fact that dinner was late (my son's doing - he was cooking), then bedtime was next, did not sit well with him. It didn't set well with me, either. God it makes me mad.

t2419.gif

Once he gets his confiscated HotWheels & notebook back, he will keep the notebook here & make the entries when he is here. I'm the only one who currently buys him HotWheels cars, anyway, so it makes sense to keep the notebook here.

He did double schoolwork yesterday to earn a day off. We are going on a field trip today. I am letting him sleep in, and then we will make a choice of where to go. I suspect he will pick Bass Pro Shop. I would rather go to the Science Museum or the VA Museum of Fine Arts, or the Historical Society, or the Poe Museum...but we do have a blast when we go to Bass. We eat lunch at the bar so we can gaze at the gigantic salt water fish tank.

We had such a good day yesterday after he slumped & grumphed & harrumphed around for about 15 minutes. I suggested he get on the elliptical exerciser & he came back 20 minutes later ready to work. Later, he & I ordered an anger journal for him to write in. It has a bad word on the front of it. We are going to make a book cover for it so the bad word is private for his eyes only. Inside it has insulting phrases in other languages. Ordinarily I would be more cautious with this choice of anger journals, but for this particular child it is perfect. He lit up at the idea of excusing himself from an escalating situation to go write in his anger journal. He said it would be an escape hatch for him.

I told my daughter-in-law my grandson needs an IEP. (Why he has not had one for the last 7 years, I do not know.) She readily agreed to ask the child psychiatrist for one. I told her he doesn't need it for home-school because we have everything under control, but he will need if for his SOLs. I am not going to let him go into a timed, distracting, stressful situation for SOLs. He will rush through & make careless mistakes, & be extremely irritable. He has to be able to tap, stand up, sit down, wiggle, maybe even listen to some music if that's allowed. Unfortunately, he cannot opt out and still stay in the home schooling public school program he is in (which is excellent, & is free). His mom opted him out 2 years ago when he was at a brick & mortar school.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday!
    Vicki-My heart goes out to your brother and his wife dealing with ALS. My late sister's husband had ALS. He was diagnosed while in his late twenties and was gone by age 33. It was heartbreaking to watch. Sending much love and hugs!
    Karen VA- I would probably enjoy those Khan classes. I am very "reward" oriented and would respond well to the "ding" of a correct answer! lol You are amazing!
    Barbie I have enough clothes for about seven days (without wearing the same thing twice; although sometimes I do). I just look at my wardrobe as my "scrubs" or uniform for work. I have a couple of skirts and dress tops that I wear to "nice" functions, but that is it. I love to see great outfits on other people, and would probably love to wear great outfits; but I don't like clothes shopping. Never have.
    Pip- I am curious. When you were overweight did you wear a more supportive shoe? Did you have to "ease" into the vibrams? I wear running shoes all of the time; but in the past six months I have started building up my time OUT of them. Just trying to ease my way into a comfortable life without shoes.
    Heather- Love the pic of the grands and Jess's article is spot on! I live a snail's life and I think I have my daycare kids to thank for that. Kids notice EVERYTHING and have to stop and investigate. I am always grateful for that gift that they have given me. Your pink scarf and gloves are beautiful! Please post of photo of you with them on (full outfit)! I bet you look gorgeous!
    Shoes- I live in running shoes! I have found Brooks and Asics to be the ones that my feet like best. Looooong narrow feet. Size 11, A width. Used to be a size 10, but the weight gain has changed my arches and my shoe size. :( Before I was a daycare provider, I worked in restaurants and wore 2 1/2 to 3 inch heels every day. Now, I can handle a one to two inch heel; but anything higher than that and I feel unbalanced and my ankles begin to hurt.

Are any of you ladies on medication for hypothyroid? Were you on meds for it when you were overweight and then were able to get off the meds? Is this a medication that once your body is at a healthy place that you can stop taking it? I am loathe to begin taking the meds, especially after watching my mother in law travel down that rabbit hole of medication and over medicaton.

Sending love and hugs to all of you! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

When I was “fat” yes, I wore tennis shoes. When I was trying to get better on riding up hills, I heard of these monkey feet that build up your calf. So I started using them for buildup my calves for the MS ride not running. I definitely eased into them. Then I realized how comfortable they were and started easing running in them. Can’t imagine going back to tennis shoes
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Done my writing and my running. They bombproof my day. :D
    I call them my 2 Rs.
    I fired off an irritated email earlier to the agents. They called back to say that they are still waiting on the mortgage company's paperwork. They think all is ok.
    So we wait again. Again. Again. :/;);):|:#:*

On my run I listened to Mendlesohn's Octet and Mahler's Adagietto. :D

NYKAREN - Have a soooper doooper time! Jealous, though the colours are starting to look good round here.

Karen - I really admire you for what you have taken on. Enjoy your field trip. <3

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am in a tsunami of technology issues. First my cell phone went nuts; it wouldn't stay on, the start up program ran constantly and it was deleting my contacts. So I got my replacement and took it to the story yesterday and lo and behold, the keyboard doesn't work right and you can't do anything with it if it is horizontal. I can't connect to our Wi Fi either. ALSO my pc at home has the "blue screen of death" and won't do anything. So I doubt I will be here this weekend. UGH.
    On the bright side, the increased meds are making me feel better!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Thanks for the link to Dr. Jessame’s Snail article. :smiley:

Barbie: Great news for Jake’s health!!!!! Improvement and hope are wonderful things. Good news for you, too. :heart:

Snowflake: Smaller clothes are absolute proof of success. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

(((Lenora))) I hope you get reconnected to your Psychiatrist ASAP. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: Your cramps sound painful and unpleasant. I hope you find a solution that gets rid of them. :star:

Kim: “i wrote a huge response and then instead of cutting and pasting, I deleted it. grrr” Been there, done that. It is really irritating. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I’ve had GERD since early college years and have it under good control now through a combination of food choices and medicine. I hope you’re able to deal with yours. When I’m having reflux problems I take ranitidine. It is an over the counter medicine and seems to work very well for me. :star:

Today DH is getting a new leg brace to help him walk. This is necessary because of the effects of MS. He is looking forward to the new brace—the old one is worn out. I'm going along because he wants me there, but it means I have to skip Yoga. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kaytone Karen: So sorry to hear about the latest battle between parents and child.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Katla~ yes I bought some at Walmart this morning..
    Tony was great.. but my brother another matter..... he is married and his wife though I love her does seem to be selfish and bossy anyway.. Sean has been texting this woman, or a couple of them.. and he was literally up all night... i went to sleep at 10 he didnt come to the room until 2 am and He was texting the whole time until I got up at like 5:15.... oh lord.. and today for me at least will be tough.. I got home at 6:30 and because Alfie was at Toms I ran over to Walmart, bought myself some rain boots as my friends and I are going to our local fair tonight...muddy as all get out down there....bought some creamer and some forks, and then came home and set up the gathering room for after the burial,, then went and fed my DFIL and went and got Alfie and walked the dogs...
    stopped at store to get ice and coffee filters, and came home and unloaded..
    then went and finished upstairs setting up.. and am dripping in sweat i know I know TMI.. so will hop in the shower and get ready... have dad all set and ready to go.. he will be going to his final resting place and be were my mom is buried... Military Burials always get me sobbing , my friend will be playing Taps..
    then back here for refreshments and memories..... ,will clean up and then off to the fair, and hopefully get a few hrs of shuteye tonight... cause im gonna be dragging tomorrow...
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Vickie WOW! I thought Idaho's 40 degrees in 24 hours temperature change was wild, but your NE has that beat by a mile.
    Allie hope your time insumptuous surroundings strenghthened you for today. Did I misunderstand? Sounded like your brother was texting women other than his wife?
    Lenora could your Psyche Dr's old office be trying to hold onto your business for after when your Dr. leaves them? Can you call him directly (at new place?) and schedule?
    Karen in VA What are SOLs? Anger journal sounds just the ticket, as well as keeping the HW notebook at yours.

Ack running late time to T'ai Chi, but here's the home made alternative to the spendy "Balanced Breaks" I made this am for my breakfast in the car. Same calories, same protein, way less $$ ;)
    ym6um84of4rn.jpg

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 4/4, rx/vits 4/4, meditate 4/4, walk one more step 4/4, knee exercises 4/4, core 2/4, walk Tumble 1/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 4/4.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Terry, you are back on the right track---joining in the conversation on this thread and making an eating plan for your day. This journey has to start somewhere and you're doing it. Keep coming back.

<3 Barbie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Lenora - I am very much like you I don't have patience to wait for projects. I come up with an idea and I want to move mountains to get it done right now! My insistent one right now is getting the barn style door on our bathroom. I have the track, just need to buy the door and get it installed. I had to laugh out loud at your "have my papers" it's great that you have a sense of humour, it sure helps I believe. What is the Old Wives Tale book called that you have? My Mother in Law is forever telling me the old wives tales so many of them actually work! That book might be a good gift for my daughter's bridal shower.

Barbie - I bet it felt so nice to dance again for 45 minutes! You have handled the confinement very well.

Machka - Red Deer to Edmonton, did you have to do that daily? I live in Leduc and work in Capilano area of Edmonton. I find that commute quite long enough!

NYKaren - I have to say I am just envious of your road trip! The leaves will be out in full colour and just a weekend away from home is a celebration in my book. Have a wonderful trip! I bet you'll have a Thanksgiving dinner in there somewhere!

Karen in VA- Your Grandson is so blessed to have you in his life fighting for him and teaching him. I think the anger book is a great idea!

Heather - They can't seem to stick to their own deadlines at all. Didn't they tell you you would have an answer Friday earlier this week? So frustrating for you and your DH.

Allie - Your brother was texting other women? If that's the case maybe the SIL knows something is up and that's why she is being controlling. I would be. Thoughts are with you at the burial today.

Terry - I understand how you feel, when I gained 20 pounds last winter I was devastated and so disappointed in myself. This group and starting to track again has helped me so much.

I met my daughter's mother in law last night with a personal trainer friend of hers to do a workout at the Rec Centre. It was a lot of fun and a workout like I have never had!

The trainer had two decks of playing cards including the Jokers. She mixed them up in a pile on the floor, then there was a list of what each suit was telling us to do.
    Aces and Jokers - 1 lap around the 200m track at a sprint or jog. (Since we were just starting we were able to walk if we felt more comfortable doing that)

Hearts - 1 set of stairs - 6 flights of stairs, each flight had 14 steps - All steps down and up counted as 4 sets. (I still am not sure how she figured the math on that)

Clubs - Bicep Curls
    Tricep Curls
    Medicine Ball against Wall

Diamonds - Plank
    Flip Plank
    Push Ups

Spades - Walking Lunge
    Curtsy Lunge
    Backwards Lunge

For Clubs, Diamonds and Spades the face value of the card was double. So if you got the 10 of Spades you had to do 20 Walking lunges. The first time you drew the suit you did the first item for that suit, second did the second, etc. We used 5 pound weights when we did any of the clubs or spades.

I drew Aces, Jokers and Hearts pretty much all night. I think I drew Spades 3 times, Clubs only twice, Diamonds only once. The goal is to get through all cards. We had about 6 cards left when we stopped because the gym was overcrowded with a hockey team that came in.

It was a lot of fun and I told her I would totally be up for doing it again.

I was thinking about it and it's something I could do at home as well. I don't have stairs or a track, but I could put something else in it's place. I have a space to do everything else and I would only use 1 deck of cards.

We just received some wonderful news! Today was supposed to be my husband's last day and would be starting winter lay-off. He just got told he has 2 weeks more for sure and possibly 3!

It is Friday and I have a very busy weekend ahead of me so not sure how much I'll get on here. Hope you all have a great weekend.

It is a long weekend for me, Thanksgiving here in Canada. I am doing the turkey dinner Sunday evening. With all of the schedules I have to work around it will be a late dinner, 7pm but it will be fun and I'll have Monday to recuperate.

Tracey, sore and tired, but feeling accomplished in Edmonton