Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Someone in another thread was asking about tips how to transition to a cut. I kind of touched on it in the first post but since I've been at it since May I have some more tips and tricks!

-I personally transition slowly. I usually spend at least a week or two at maintenance coming out of a bulk.
    -Then I gradually lower the calories. This works for me, I know others go straight to a fairly aggressive cut.
    -I try to get excited about my new meals, try new calorie-friendly recipes and meal prep
    -I carb/calorie cycle and incorporate refeeds around heavier workout days
    -Keep my pre-workout carbs (only on lifting days)
    -I typically keep workout programming the same, over time I might reduce the volume a little bit but I don't mess with it too much.
    -I don't add cardio right away, I will typically wait a month in until I start to add it back in and make sure it fits into my programming
    -I keep protein around 1-1.2g per lb bodyweight, this helps keep me full and satisfied, also it keeps me on track and prevents random unplanned snacks that don't fit into the program
    -I take notes on what kind of foods are working and keep me happy. This seems to change with every cut which is interesting.
    -I save a high protein snack before bed to keep hunger away while I sleep. I can handle hunger at any time except while I am sleeping so that works for me.
    -Lots and lots of black espresso!
    -Oh and diet breaks! I've had two so far this time. If I have been cutting for over 3 months, feel like I need a break or going through a period of time where I am really off schedule (ex. a vacation) I will implement them. It helps me to have a break then get back into it strong.

What do you guys do?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I just bite the proverbial caloric bullet and go straight from a bulk into a cut. I'm usually so fed up with stuffing my face at the end of a bulk that the reduced intake is welcome. ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Nice @jseams1234.. just like a bandaid.. one swoop and you are almost at goal :) . I am always tempted to do something more aggressive, it feels like I've been cutting forever over here. :s But then I will try it for a few days and it's like.. nope nope nope :D

Finally back at home. Finally going to finish this beast of a cut. Started a new program today, going to attempt an upper/lower split after years of full body, we will see how it goes ..(can you tell how skeptical I am :p )

what program are you doing?
  • sardelsa
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Nice @jseams1234.. just like a bandaid.. one swoop and you are almost at goal :) . I am always tempted to do something more aggressive, it feels like I've been cutting forever over here. :s But then I will try it for a few days and it's like.. nope nope nope :D

Finally back at home. Finally going to finish this beast of a cut. Started a new program today, going to attempt an upper/lower split after years of full body, we will see how it goes ..(can you tell how skeptical I am :p )

what program are you doing?

A program I wrote myself based on a template. It has three lower days and two upper days. Still lots of glutes of course ;)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I am killing a 22oz IPA...

I fit it in too my calories today, but I know this is going to play hell on the scale over the next several days lol...

#IDGAF
  • HeyEmilio
    HeyEmilio Posts: 64 Member
    Currently cutting, it's been 2 months... finally I'm getting used to the reduced intake and have more energy for my workouts.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Well... 182.6lbs today...

But that's not to bad, it gives me a good head start on chasing a new low by the end of this work week...

I eat at maintenance for someone my weight who has no activity and let my exercise provide the deficit... Usually 500 to 800 calories
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Sept 10th - 166.6 lbs
    Oct 6th - 164.2lbs

Slowly does it, not bad going as I started at 173.4lbs at the end of July, 9lbs in 9 weeks. The extreme hunger is back again. But has cold, will hungry...(strongman training has been at competition weights and over those maxes the last two weeks, so there is that) I am officially under 75kg, but want to go a little lower for a buffer zone, just in case (salt, glycogen and water pre-comp), want to be eating maintenance 2 weeks out and comp week, to ensure fully energy and recovery on the day...

Oh in answer to @sardelsa's question...from bulk to cut I go down to maintenance a couple of weeks to four weeks (just so my body does not go eeek!) and then back down to cutting cals...I sometimes carb cycle, I sometimes calorie cycle (more carbs training days and more cals), sometimes I eat more on rest days, if training has been tough and eat a little less on training days (some really tough sessions leave me feeling a little nauseous rather than hungry, but I make sure I drink loads of water)...it depends on how I am feeling...I listen to hunger cues more and adjust calories and carbs that way...sometimes I will do a two day refeed (carb heavy, fat low)...supplement wise, pre-workout and caffeine works for me cutting...diet breaks every 12 weeks. I am still learning, but this is what has worked for me. Oh and protein wise I try to get at least 100g per day...most days I hit 150g plus though...
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I started to bulk over the last couple months. I panicked over the weekend and went back to a deficit. Added cardio back in and cut at least 600 calories from the daily intake.
  • jseams1234
    edited October 2018
    update:

Start 212 lbs
    end week 1: 209
    end week 2: 204.5
    end week 3: 202

Ate Bonchon Chicken yesterday and had a few pints of beer. Skipped breakfast for it (had a whey shake) and ended up eating nothing but apples, celery and some strawberries (and a few whey shakes) for the rest of the day. Worth it for that one meal. My gosh, I love Bonchon fried chicken. :)

Abs are kinda back - not so much when relaxed but back when core is flexed. A couple of more weeks of this I think... keep in mind, I don't cut to anywhere close to 10%. I don't like I how look or feel at those levels. Just personal preference and not something I necessarily recommend.

h769aq03vf2d.jpg

edit: The amount of fish oil I have been taking per day = about 200 cals. I hadn't been logging it. I never considered their caloric content. Hasn't effected anything and I'm losing as I expected.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2018
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    update:

Start 212 lbs

Ate Bonchon Chicken yesterday and had a few pints of beer. Skipped breakfast for it (had a whey shake) and ended up eating nothing but apples, celery and some strawberries (and a few whey shakes) for the rest of the day. Worth it for that one meal. My gosh, I love Bonchon fried chicken. :)

Abs are kinda back - not so much when relaxed but back when core is flexed. A couple of more weeks of this I think... keep in mind, I don't cut to anywhere close to 10%. I don't like I how look or feel at those levels. Just personal preference and not something I necessarily recommend.

h769aq03vf2d.jpg

edit: The amount of fish oil I have been taking per day = about 200 cals. I hadn't been logging it. I never considered their caloric content. Hasn't effected anything and I'm losing as I expected.

Nice results and OMG, i love me some BonChon. I have yet to find anything on their menu that i don't like.
  • jseams1234
    psuLemon wrote: »
    update:

Start 212 lbs

Nice results and OMG, i love me some BonChon. I have yet to find anything on their menu that i don't like.

Yeah, I love me some BonChon chicken. I always make it a point to go every Saturday when I'm cutting. It gives me something nice to look forward to after a week of a dreadfully boring diet. A 10 piece spicy wings, Takoyaki balls, bowl of rice and a couple of Sapporo's and a nice nap aftwards. :)
  • sardelsa
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I started to bulk over the last couple months. I panicked over the weekend and went back to a deficit. Added cardio back in and cut at least 600 calories from the daily intake.

Oh no.. that's not good. Maybe try recomp/maintenance ? Unless you are underweight or close to it, or have advanced bodybuilding goals, recomp is a great option especially if gaining spooked you.
  • sardelsa
    update:

Start 212 lbs

h769aq03vf2d.jpg

Looking great!! I've never had that chicken but it sounds delicious
  • jseams1234
    I am getting reeeeally fed up with this cut. I think I am done after this month. This has gone on way too long. I am about 4lbs up from my starting weight before this past bulk. I look so much different though so I'm not too worried, just wish I could sit at a higher weight and be satisfied. :/

I'd take that as a positive and a sign of a successful bulk. I'd be rather miffed if I cut and ended up back where I started. ;)

If you ended up at the same spot (bf %) with a 4 pound gain in weight then that is pretty significant. :)
  • sardelsa
    I am getting reeeeally fed up with this cut. I think I am done after this month. This has gone on way too long. I am about 4lbs up from my starting weight before this past bulk. I look so much different though so I'm not too worried, just wish I could sit at a higher weight and be satisfied. :/

I'd take that as a positive and a sign of a successful bulk. I'd be rather miffed if I cut and ended up back where I started. ;)

If you ended up at the same spot (bf %) with a 4 pound gain in weight then that is pretty significant. :)

Thanks! Well I still want to lose a few more lbs, which almost takes me back where I started, weight wise. Body composition wise I feel like I look almost the same, but when I compare photos you can really see the difference. Note to anyone reading this, take lots of progress photos from all different angles and lighting. When the scale, measurements and even the mirror doesn't say much, the photos usually do!
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Ok so I’m still 4lb up from my diet break and finding it hard to go back to such a significant deficit.

I want to know if anyone has got where they want to be with one cut or if it normally takes a few bulk cut cycles?

I prefer my size around 15lbs higher than my current weight so not sure if I should just slow bulk back to there or do a recomp. I don’t really want to go much lower than my current weight, I’m 168lbs and 5’10
  • sardelsa
    @Tic78 I've run 3 bulk/cuts and I am still not where I want to be! Depending on your goals of course, I think it is pretty rare to get there in one bulk cycle.

You can do either, but I find after running bulk/cuts going to a recomp was very slow and frustrating, at least for me! Unless of course you are just a hair from your goal or bulking is not for you. If you want to be a higher weight, best thing to do is keep running bulk/cut cycles until you get there.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Thank you, part of me thinks that my bmi is 24.4 so in the ideal category but it took me losing nearly 30lbs to get there that maybe I should keep cutting till I get to 22.5 bmi

I realise that bmi isn’t an ideal way to gauge progress but I wonder if there’s any articles worth reading on genetic maximums for naturals at certain bf%

Basically I’m wondering where most males who have sub 10% bf or 15-20% bf for females end up on the bmi scale as I’m thinking they’re probably in the middle or low side of the ideal category