Do you count fruits and veggies?

Options
Hello all!
I’m wondering if I should count my fruits and veggies in with my calories. When I did WW freestyle, we didn’t count fruits and vegetables, only the items they were cooked with or eaten with. I usually have them as a small side or for a snack. I’ve been counting anything I cook them in or eat with them (oil, peanut butter, cheese, etc) But didn’t know if I needed to count the fruits and veggies since I’m not eating a ton of them. Sorry if this isn’t very clear, midnight shift brain doesn’t like to form complete thoughts sometimes lol

Replies

• shilowindy
    shilowindy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight!
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, most definitely log fruits and veggies (and everything else). A lot of fruit tends to be high in calories (ie bananas). Avocados are also very calorie dense.
  • shilowindy
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I think that’s one of the reasons I did so poorly on another program. The coach told us not to bother counting fruits and vegetables because they were free foods in her program and we should eat as much of them as possible and only worry about counting proteins and carbs. I had very little success which is was prompted me to come back to MFP where I had my original success.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I count everything.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    shilowindy wrote: »
    Hello all!
    I’m wondering if I should count my fruits and veggies in with my calories. When I did WW freestyle, we didn’t count fruits and vegetables, only the items they were cooked with or eaten with. I usually have them as a small side or for a snack. I’ve been counting anything I cook them in or eat with them (oil, peanut butter, cheese, etc) But didn’t know if I needed to count the fruits and veggies since I’m not eating a ton of them. Sorry if this isn’t very clear, midnight shift brain doesn’t like to form complete thoughts sometimes lol

My diet is plant based, so it would be really weird not counting them, since they make up at least half of my daily calories.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Fruit? Yes (most of the time - if it's one or two berries then no). Vegetables? Sometimes. I'll count most, if not all, root vegetables, squash, avocado (if I really ate avocado), etc but I won't log/input into the recipe creator things like onion, a single tomato or single bell pepper (in the context of a full recipe), leafy greens, and the like.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Definitely count fruit calories cause they can add up in a hurry. & starchy veggies. Maybe not so critical for non-starchy vegetables, but it depends on how precise you’re trying to be. Cruciferous, leafy, ... . Of course, that’s where your fiber tends to be so worth noting just to keep track of that.
  • shilowindy
    Options
    I appreciate the input! My main goal for now is just to get used to logging food again and making better choices with it.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have over 500 calories of fruit a day fairly often. I have had over 1000 calories a day a few times.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I try to track everything, not just for calories, but because, as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I try to make sure I'm meeting my protein and iron targets for the day. Every gram counts (there was one gram of protein in my blueberries this morning, for example).

That being said, in a social setting, when I'm loading my plate with melon cubes, cherry tomatoes, and baby carrots, I'm less precise about logging them. Sometimes, I'll just log "1 cup cantaloupe cubes", others I won't bother logging at all. (This is part of why I only eat back half my exercise calories: the other half are a cushion against inaccurate logging and it works, especially when the foods I'm most inaccurate on aren't calorie-dense to start with.)

It's been working so far.

My general rule is "Log everything you reasonably can, and don't sweat the rest of it."