Surgery

Options

Replies

• r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It'll be awhile till I have the cervical surgery I am concerned about walking since difficulty walking is what prompted the doctor to say surgery. Do you mind if I ask if many patients saw improvement in mobility?
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    The surgery is tomorrow and I have anxieties. Going to see if going to see venom is a good distraction then spend the day cleaning house. Anyone else have an idea how to distract from the anxiety?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    r0ck3rgirl wrote: »
    It'll be awhile till I have the cervical surgery I am concerned about walking since difficulty walking is what prompted the doctor to say surgery. Do you mind if I ask if many patients saw improvement in mobility?

Most of the patients I see have improvement in mobility. Their pre-op symptoms usually include pain down one or more legs and numbness and tingling in the foot/lower leg in the affected side as well. Most (but not not all) report symptom improvements and even occasionally complete alleviation in the post-op period. If not immediately, there is generally gradual improvement.

I don't know what your specific surgery is but I will say that, from working with neuro and ortho spine surgeons, they do these surgeries specifically to alleviate pain and improve mobility and quality of life. You may never see complete return to pre-condition functioning, but you should definitely see an improvement.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    Thank you for replying. It's good tp know other people have had improved mobility. I get drop foot and my left leg is all pins and needles which has ended up with me needing a walker to keep from falling
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I hope you're doing well. My husband just had spinal surgery for two bulging discs on Thursday and so far so good. The pain down both legs is gone but still has the numbness in his feet. That should subside over time.

Best of luck with your recovery!
  • r0ck3rgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I hope you're doing well. My husband just had spinal surgery for two bulging discs on Thursday and so far so good. The pain down both legs is gone but still has the numbness in his feet. That should subside over time.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Thank you for sharing. I feel crushed by anxiety today so this is genuinely helpful.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The surgery is tomorrow and I have anxieties. Going to see if going to see venom is a good distraction then spend the day cleaning house. Anyone else have an idea how to distract from the anxiety?

Yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises, any spiritual practices (if you have any), and putting your faith in your surgeon.

Sometimes your symptoms (or new ones) will persist in the days after surgery. There is typically a bit of swelling that may cause this. As the swelling goes down, the symptoms should resolve.

All the best tomorrow. Will you be spending a few days in the hospital?
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises, any spiritual practices (if you have any), and putting your faith in your surgeon.

Sometimes your symptoms (or new ones) will persist in the days after surgery. There is typically a bit of swelling that may cause this. As the swelling goes down, the symptoms should resolve.

I should be home by Tuesday afternoon as long as everything goes smooth.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I should be home by Tuesday afternoon as long as everything goes smooth.

Sounds about right. You might want to spend some time meal prepping today. That way if you have a few days where you don't feel like cooking, you have some grab and go stuff. Would also keep you busy.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    Ive got some stuff prepared and also my husband is talking time off the first 3 days because the doctor said I might have difficulty getting up by myself to do the walking.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Ive got some stuff prepared and also my husband is talking time off the first 3 days because the doctor said I might have difficulty getting up by myself to do the walking.

Awesome! Again, all the best tomorrow.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6 months out of spinal surgery (L4-5, S1). He was in constant pain from bulging discs that had deteriorated so much that the surgeon had to pick out the pieces. He could barely get out of bed let alone stand and walk without a cane and then a walker; a wheelchair was next on the horizon.

Post surgery and release from the hospital offered immediate relief from the back pain. He's improved so much that he's normal again. Seriously, the surgery was a life saver for him. His surgeon advised that there would be continued improvement for up to a year. He just had his 6 month followup and his spine is fusing beautifully. He was very anxious before surgery but it's the best thing he ever did. Hang in there.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking time to respond to a very very nervous lady.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Please update us post surgery to let us know how you're doing.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

Good luck @r0ck3rgirl
  • r0ck3rgirl
    Options
    Trina2040 wrote: »

Please update us post surgery to let us know how you're doing.

Oh of course I will post as soon as I'm able to update ya'll. I wouldn't leave you wondering.
  • ruffneckred
    ruffneckred Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hope you are well, this has been a very educating and inspiring thread. You have big challenges and hopefully MFP can help you through them. Have a great day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Just in to send well-wishes: Good outcome, speedy recovery!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for you this morning!